Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The newest ride... (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38244)

1slo3 June 5th, 2015 08:54 AM

The newest ride...

Here is my newest project. It is almost a driver. I need to do a complete tune up and I can drive it. I will be changing the wheels and stance soon as I just can't handle a bone stock squareback. No air ride this time, just a static drop of the nose, some seat covers, different steering wheel and probably my tall shifter from the old squareback.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1360057.jpg

alykat June 5th, 2015 01:52 PM

Re: The newest ride...

What were you thinking ? You were thinking " Alright ! A squareback ! KOOOOl !!! :dancing: :thumbsup: :funny:

DrHax June 6th, 2015 08:09 PM

I would love a type 3... or a type 3 engine... or a type 3 automatic engine and drivetrain... hmmmm automatic bug truck with actual functional box :licklips:

d3ghia June 7th, 2015 05:42 PM

Very nice addition to the "family" :thumbsup:

I have a set of square-back rear quarter fenders (the outers) that a guy gave to me. I was going to use them for a project - but they are late model ones and I need early ones.

So, as soon as I can find a rear apron - I will make a new couch for my house. :grin:

1slo3 June 8th, 2015 08:51 AM

Lots of work to do on this 'driver'. The thing was running on 3 cylinders and timed to 30btdc at IDLE! Also, after getting it to run on 4 again and correctly timed, it had no power. Figured out this morning that the newly rebuilt brakes by the PO are dragging badly... so, that will get sorted and perhaps, finally, I can start driving it.

1slo3 June 8th, 2015 08:04 PM

More steps forward, and back.

Forward, new rebuilt dizzy in and the car moves much better! Power off the line and revs right up to where the entire front end shook. That's the step(s) back. The entire front end started shaking so violently that the wheels jumped out of my hand at about 30 mph. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/ima...s/icon_eek.gif I jumped on the brake to avoid the ditch and the car lurched hard to the right. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/ima...s/icon_sad.gif

Tomorrow, I will be putting the front end in the air to find what is, or maybe what isn't, loose. I think, I might finally get to go on a real test drive tomorrow afternoon. Maybe... unless there are more surprises.

d3ghia June 8th, 2015 08:26 PM

No Bueno for sure!

1slo3 June 8th, 2015 09:18 PM

Put the front end in the air tonight. front wheels have over an inch of side to side travel :shock: There is no up and down travel, It will be interesting to see how knackered the tie rod ends are. I think I have 2 new ones still. Well, I hope I still have them!

psychopork June 9th, 2015 08:03 AM

good luck on the last little bits sir.

1slo3 June 9th, 2015 11:18 AM

No joy... I gave away my "i'll never need these" NOS ends. Doh!

nhtriker June 9th, 2015 03:04 PM

It's not the tie rod ends. It is the steering damper. The little horizontal shock absorber.
Easy fix.

1slo3 June 9th, 2015 08:59 PM

no, it is the tie rod ends... they are knackered.

d3ghia June 10th, 2015 09:45 AM

:huh: I don't think I ever want the end of my rod knackered...

:unsure: Sounds painful and like you might need a shot. :unsure:

unclefargo June 10th, 2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ghia (Post 581397)
:huh: I don't think I ever want the end of my rod knackered...

:unsure: Sounds painful and like you might need a shot. :unsure:

Safest thing to do is keep it in a box.

1slo3 June 10th, 2015 03:43 PM

ummmm.... :unsure:

The car should be back on the ground tomorrow. :smilespin:

V8Transporter June 11th, 2015 02:56 PM

Speaking from recent experience, after the rod ends are replaced, an alignment check would be a good idea. :thumbsup:

1slo3 June 11th, 2015 03:04 PM

yep... i've aligned a few cars in my day.

so, today... tie rod ends replaced.
found that my fuel pump, while working, is leaking fuel from the body. EFI pumps are big bucks!
right side caliper is not locked, but it is not releasing completely. I'll have to see if I have another one.
the beam also needs some tending to. The upper right keeper bolt is loose. So, in the morning, it to will get serviced.

once all these are done, perhaps it will drive straight. perhaps

V8Transporter June 11th, 2015 05:24 PM

If you have a DIY garage floor alignment procedure, I'm all ears!:grin:

1slo3 June 11th, 2015 05:37 PM

Stock tires. On my t3 is 1/8 toe in front of the rims meSures inside vs back end. Bigger fronts are 0 toe in.

I prefer in my garage vs a hot parking lot laying on cardboard with a crowd watching.

SCOTTRODS June 12th, 2015 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 581406)
If you have a DIY garage floor alignment procedure, I'm all ears!:grin:

Aside from the actual measuring, I usually use 2 sheets of metal Greased thoroughly (between the metal only), under each wheel. That way you can set the measurements and jounce the car a little to get the "settled" dimensions pretty well. Anything that lets the wheels just move around easily is a do-able type of slide. Just be smart and set the Park Brake so it doesn't slide off the plates.

V8Transporter June 12th, 2015 05:36 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. The greased metal plate idea is brilliant. :bow::bow::grin:

alykat June 13th, 2015 04:06 AM

Not having metal plates on hand, I have been known to use several layers of waxed paper. Probably not as efective as greased metal, but better than nothing.

BrownBUGUK June 14th, 2015 04:25 AM

I'd love an early squareback.....if I ever sold my bug it'd be for a square fo'sho'

1slo3 June 15th, 2015 08:50 PM

This one isn't early... unusual for me, but I think I like it so far.

Ryan June 16th, 2015 05:10 PM

nice looking new toy