Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage! (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24996)

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:15 PM

Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage!

4 Attachment(s)
I've been gathering ideas for years and finally started building my dream car. It's a "Roth/Starbird" combination where my imagination just took over. A Bubble Top Ghia with some small shades of '57 Chevy thrown in (fins somewhat resemble them - but I wanted a more rounded look; will reshape the wheel wells ala '57 style, but they will match the fins as well), some of the other mods include: duplicating the great ghia lines on the rear quarter panels onto the front quarter panels, extending the front fenders with dagmars where the headlights normally are, then putting headlights behind the front vents.

The interior is gonna be crazy kool - but I haven't been able to sketch it out yet - it's still stuck in my head - and if I try to explain the bubble wrap style seat covers - and chrome roll bar style door panels, etc, it won't make sense - but trust me they will be kool!

There are many more ideas I probably haven't come up with yet that will work themselves into this project - they always do! That's what's nice - no rules!

Here are the blueprints I came up with (remember, I'm no artist - but I have a vision (somewhat blurred though!):
Attachment 17930

So then I started....

Attachment 17931

Attachment 17932

Attachment 17933

Having a blast building the car I want - not doing it to please anyone else....... breakin' all the rules this time!

Mikelrome February 5th, 2009 09:21 PM

Re: Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage!

I always felt the older type III front fenders looked 57 chevyish.

gowjobs February 5th, 2009 09:21 PM

I am so with you on this - look forward to seeing more. I have some articles I saved somewhere on blowing your own bubbletops...

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikelrome (Post 378738)
I always felt the older type III front fenders looked 57 chevyish.

Agreed - in fact since I'm spilling my guts on my ideas - I always wanted to take a squareback and turn it into a mini '57 Chevy Nomad. Those front fenders, with the right headlight treatment are very close.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to do..... and loads cheaper than the "real" thing!

Mikelrome February 5th, 2009 09:27 PM

I was thinking you could graft a set on to yer ghia.

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowjobs (Post 378739)
I am so with you on this - look forward to seeing more. I have some articles I saved somewhere on blowing your own bubbletops...

Excellent! I have pulled everything I could find for the last 3-4 years - but know I still don't know squat!

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikelrome (Post 378742)
I was thinking you could graft a set on to yer ghia.

Yeah - I can see that in my head........but it didn't just knock me over and give me the warm fuzzies.....YET.

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more pics.....
Fitting the front to the rear...
Attachment 17938

Making the first big cut...no turning back now!

Attachment 17939
Attachment 17934

Moving the vents closer to the ground - My exhaust will be coming out through them - and '59 Caddy taillights will be filling the sunken taillight housings (big round holes)

Attachment 17940
Attachment 17941

Still have to fill the hole in the middle - and make a hide-a-way license plate setup that is flush with the body, then flips down when needed.

bigskizzy February 5th, 2009 09:51 PM

you didnt even show em updated pics of the rear end ya hold out...cars gonna be CRAZY. i cant wait to see it done :D

bigskizzy February 5th, 2009 09:51 PM

oh sure post em up while im typing :p

vwhabit February 5th, 2009 09:52 PM

Yer slow kid!

bigskizzy February 5th, 2009 09:54 PM

haha yea whatever...

hotrodheb February 5th, 2009 09:57 PM

Holy shit Mark....

That is bad ass!:bow:

cdscowboy February 5th, 2009 10:24 PM

Friggin awesome! Can't wait to see more!

Dungbug58 February 5th, 2009 10:32 PM

:bow::bow::bow:

Hebster52 February 5th, 2009 10:59 PM

Oh My!! This is great!!!:bow:

Steve February 6th, 2009 01:32 AM

THIS is what I'm talkin' about!!

Second set of pics made my heart jump... I'm SO stoked to see this one come about.

Don't get me wrong... I can look at nicely done fenderless rodded bugs all day long, but an all-out no-holds-barred custom reminiscent of those historic rule-shattering 50's kustoms straight out of the little books is where my heart really belongs.

Johns wild Type 3 project... and now THIS? Too awesome.

I'm going to enjoy watching this build VERY much. I have no doubt this is going to be one of those projects watched and talked about all over the globe, much like we saw happen with the KidVrod as it approached completion.

Right on, Mark. :bow:

yimbo February 6th, 2009 01:52 AM

I've thought about turning a fastback or squareback into a early 50s style car by raising the center of the hood and putting Ghia fenders on back.

bugdust February 6th, 2009 03:02 AM

Ooooh, oooooh....a full custom build! :dancing:

Looks great so far. I'll be checking this thread often.:thumbsup:

Ryan February 6th, 2009 03:53 AM

wow that is looking insane! love it!!!!

66 Shorty February 6th, 2009 04:09 AM

That certainly IS an Awesome Project! You do some great work there Bro!:bow::bow::bow:

vwfanatic February 6th, 2009 04:41 AM

woo hoo mark.....that is freekin awesome. cant wait to see the progress on this one.

fernon February 6th, 2009 05:09 AM

I like were this is going. I am a huge fan of the Build What You Want, FUCK Everyone Else mentality, after all just about everyone on this forum has this thought racing through their mind when they say they are building a Volksrod to a Samba Purists. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see this one on the road.

vwhabit February 6th, 2009 05:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So, as with any project like this, there are u-turns that are made. Think I ran into my first one with the rear hood vents. I made a jig and then made my first vent (they have to be a carbon copy of each other to look correct - harder than it looks for this old man!). I wanted to have the 3-D effect of the stock cooling vents punched into a bug/ghia but with the sizes that I desired, so I have to make my own. The hard part was making the ends which are critial to making the vents appear stock....So I tried using the stock vents and lengthening them - but my welding skills lack a lot to do all that welding w/o distortion on each thin piece. So I used round stock and tried to mate that to the end of the original vent piece (which had to be cut into individual pieces to achieve the staggered lengths - Jeez I'm a glutton for punishment!)

Here is what I got (remember, in this pic you are looking at the back side of the vent - still needs to be cleaner than it is here though!) -
Attachment 17943

Then I cleaned them up and set them on the car

Attachment 17942

I do not like my work on these so scrapped this idea and am currectly working on the replacement: Made 2 identical forms out of 3/8 round stock and will trace them onto the hood, cut a hole and weld them onto the back side (to give rigidity and the 3-D effect) then will make a grill out of 3/8 stock of all the different lengths that will fit into the opening.
That is the plan for this weekend....Keep in mind with my busy life that I only get to work on my car a couple hours a week....it's my "therapy time" ....and I need a lot of therapy! :funny:

grumpy February 6th, 2009 06:27 AM

:bow:

would look great in bare metal, show off the work.

keep it up, looks killer.