Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage! (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24996)

Scott H February 6th, 2009 07:09 AM

Re: Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwhabit (Post 378740)
I always wanted to take a squareback and turn it into a mini '57 Chevy Nomad. Those front fenders, with the right headlight treatment are very close.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to do..... and loads cheaper than the "real" thing!

That reminded me of this photoshop:

http://www.ramva.org/vwluvrs/photochop1.jpg

crazyman_stanley February 6th, 2009 07:22 AM

those are some crazy ass curves man! Keep it up! You're plannin on makin your own bubble? I think that will definately be a challenging part of the project

tattooed_pariah February 6th, 2009 10:01 AM

This build looks friggin awesome! Great work!

Turbo Punk February 6th, 2009 11:38 AM

Awesome job so far Mark!! I'll definatly be following this build.

YelLowBug February 6th, 2009 12:14 PM

Just when you think you've seen everything you open this topic:ohmy:
that's awsome, good job,

V8Transporter February 6th, 2009 12:25 PM

When I was a kid I was a big fan of the bubble topped customs. Your design is as fresh today as they were back then. Looks fantastic and can't wait to watch your progress:clapping::clapping::clapping:.

ThrasherBill February 6th, 2009 12:59 PM

I am loving this one. Right up there with John's type 3 sled for sure. The back end reminds me of Bill Hines' Bat.

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_...e0b6924478.jpg

And that's not a bad thing! :thumbsup:

Mikelrome February 6th, 2009 01:18 PM

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...dz/shhht-1.jpgDude, I think I'll take a ghia, and put the front on the back.... And them make some fins.

This is stuff we thoughtabut when we were stoned. You are doing it for real. Nice stuff man.

carcentric February 6th, 2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwhabit (Post 378736)

If the glass/plexi roof turns out to be too expensive, you could do a Double Bubble in steel like Abarth did:
http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/13780-2/DSC03869.jpg
:licklips:

Hapster February 6th, 2009 05:00 PM

It looks even better in the photos than in the drawings, that's fantastic!

vwhabit February 6th, 2009 10:32 PM

Thanx for all the back pats! It has me itchin' to get back out there and finish the next page of this comic book (not really a novel huh?).
I'm not good about sitting in front of the 'puter all night - I would rather be in the man cave pounding the metal into submission - so will respond to some of the comments now:
Look's like Bill Hines bat? WOW! to even be thought of in the same breath as BH has me blushin' big time!
Doubt I will try to blow the top myself, but I will make the mold. Got a great article from Darryl Starbird (my hero!) in the July 2001 issue of Custom Rodder on how to do it. With it bein' the focal point I want to make sure it doesn't look hokey - if my body work is rotten, but the top is pristine, it's ok - but if both are terrible - the car will be a laughing stock (I'm sure it will be to some anyhow!). If I can't afford it (if it costs over $5.63 to make, I'm in big trouble!), I have a plan "B" until I can.....2 motorcycle farings ala the Batmobile until I can afford the real thing....but I do like Abarth's idea on the metal bubble...hmmm...

Pulling the Rubber Chicken out from under the covers in the morning and driving it to the local street rod show to steal some more ideas from those unsuspecting billet boys. Why come up with your own ideas, when you can borrow someone else's, and then just put your own twist on them? "Sides - nothing is new any more - someone, somewhere has already done it!
Ok - 'nuf preachin' - looking forward to your idea's and criticism's (did I really say that?)

bigskizzy February 6th, 2009 10:47 PM

oh man 8 is gonna come early in the morning...how much does it cost to get it?

66 Shorty February 7th, 2009 02:01 AM

Are you forming the panels with an english wheel or planishing (sp?) hammer, or just forming as you go? They are looking Great! :bow:

grumpy February 7th, 2009 05:46 AM

all the talk of double bubble, i just had to

http://www.catacombscds.com/images/c...le_sticker.jpg

vwhabit February 7th, 2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66 Shorty (Post 379108)
Are you forming the panels with an english wheel or planishing (sp?) hammer, or just forming as you go? They are looking Great! :bow:

All by hand - I have never seen those time saving tools in action 'cept on TV! Maybe someday.....I'm sure it would make everything come together quicker and cleaner!

matthewsuckerpunch February 7th, 2009 07:52 AM

maybe you could make a foam model of the area that is be the bubble top (the shape the bubble needs to be) and find a place that does vacuform. they could make one in like 10 minutes... just an idea

Al Low Ha February 7th, 2009 09:51 AM

Great concept and your well on the way to one Sweet ride! Great job! Little advice....don't forget to provide yourself "freshair" for the cockpit....gonna get warm in Da Bubble, eh! Rear grill idea is good! Don't give up on them.....how about a pair of 356 grills...hell of a lot easier to rework than making grills from scratch.... and would look like a match for the nose grills you got for your exhaust exits...just a thought.
I still have a ghia/squareback concept bouncing around between my ears...take that T3 Scott H posted and graft the roof/rear hatch onto a ghia....would be one sassy little wagon!
Keep up the good work and keep us informed....inspiring!
Aloha!

cuttinup February 7th, 2009 03:29 PM

Yeaaaa !!!! Kool new custom project! Looks great!

1slo3 February 7th, 2009 06:47 PM

here he comes, here comes Speed Racer...Medford isn't gonna know what hit it!

notched February 8th, 2009 09:18 AM

Dang Mark! I knew that you were workin' on a super secret project, but I had no idea... Looks killer man!!!

vwhabit February 8th, 2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Low Ha (Post 379206)
.....how about a pair of 356 grills...hell of a lot easier to rework than making grills from scratch.... and would look like a match for the nose grills you got for your exhaust exits...just a thought.

I thought about that - but just not exactly what I want. And if I'm gonna do this, I want what I want! (Kinda one way huh?)

Worked on the grills Saturday for a bit and think I finally hit the nail on the head (I've thought that before though!). Plan on making the garage scene Monday after work and knocking them out. Will keep you updated......

I appreciate the ideas though - keep 'um comin'!

You too could be included in this once in a lifetime momentous occasion of being included as the inspiration in the build up of the the most famous Karmann Ghia bubble top of all time - The Dub-N-Aire! Just by opening your mind and letting the words flow through your fingertips onto the keyboard below! You will go down in history as an honered contributor to this once in a lifetime build!

Was that too over the top??? :funny: Hey, I'm just havin' fun! I want you too too (two??) 2 22 ....never mind - have fun

bigskizzy February 8th, 2009 07:18 PM

call me when you get home...i wanna come see the grills

jaransonT3 February 8th, 2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwhabit (Post 378796)

Car is looking great! I really love this shot of it. Nice work.:bow::bow:

One thought I had when looking at your concept sketch is that the bubble tops seem too high. I would think about just having some low wrap around windscreens. Would make it an open car, but would look so much lower.

vwhabit February 8th, 2009 09:07 PM

That's plan "B"...

gowjobs February 8th, 2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaransonT3 (Post 379632)
Car is looking great! I really love this shot of it. Nice work.:bow::bow:

One thought I had when looking at your concept sketch is that the bubble tops seem too high. I would think about just having some low wrap around windscreens. Would make it an open car, but would look so much lower.

The rule of thumb is that the greenhouse is half the height of the car's body (the body being two-thirds of the car's height and the roof being the other third). Of course, that's just a guideline - you have to be able to fit in the darned thing.

BTW: I've got an Abarth 750 Zagato double-bubble in my back yard right now that I'm storing for a buddy. He's finishing one at his restoration shop this week, too.