Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   l.e.d. tail light question (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19778)

bugfink January 29th, 2008 04:19 PM

l.e.d. tail light question

I want to run a set of led bullets for my tail lights. Any tips on wiring? I have them mounted on the bumper, and thats as far as I've got. Thanks.

sour-kraut January 29th, 2008 05:30 PM

Re: l.e.d. tail light question

are they gonna be turn signals or just lights?

sour-kraut January 29th, 2008 05:30 PM

i got some bullet lights on the rear and i got them to work as the tail light, brake light and turn signal

erminger January 29th, 2008 05:32 PM

wiring would depend on them being single or double filement type.
lengthen the wires from the old taillamps, attach to the new taillights.

make sure there is a good ground to the light.

you will likely find that the LEDs dont draw enough power to trip the turn flasher.
two easy fixes 1) electronic flasher 2) wire in standard bulbs inside the car to add a load

I used standard bulbs in 4 harley duece turn signals for my stop and turn lights

Haukola January 29th, 2008 06:40 PM

You could also install a dummy load wired in parallel -- try Watson's Street Works.

bugfink January 29th, 2008 10:51 PM

just running and brake. my turnsignal arm broke off and I may just be to lazy to replace it. my friend said the would work as running but not brake, so thats why i ask

purplepeopleeater January 30th, 2008 04:35 AM

Get an early taillight housing and use one of these as a donor

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...5899/95809.gif

only $10 at HF.

yeah, not my idea...but i'll take credit for it.

JiI January 30th, 2008 05:51 AM

I might try that! Make my own custom taillight buckets and put those in them. Sweet!
Jeff

sour-kraut January 30th, 2008 12:40 PM

good idea!

mkparker January 31st, 2008 06:00 AM

I believe those just have one set of LEDS in them. So you can use them for tails or brakes, but you'll have to do some moddin' to make them do both in one housing.

purplepeopleeater January 31st, 2008 06:16 AM

Here is where I got the Idea, Let me know if you need more...I know the guy that is done this

http://rbcdunebuggy.yuku.com/topic/1...s-sort-of.html

purplepeopleeater January 31st, 2008 06:18 AM

" The stock VW lens seems to pass the light just fine, but the picture should show more. Don't forget to tie the green and yellow wires together to get the brake light (brighter) to work. The brown wire is for the lights (dimmer). "

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkparker (Post 292872)
I believe those just have one set of LEDS in them. So you can use them for tails or brakes, but you'll have to do some moddin' to make them do both in one housing.

mkparker January 31st, 2008 07:37 AM

I stand corrected. Those look great and cheap!

purplepeopleeater January 31st, 2008 08:31 AM

yep, HF had them onsale for $7.99

SHARK January 31st, 2008 04:21 PM

For anyone looking to run LEDs as turn signals... The kit set ups I've used just came with in line resistors when they are for use with a standard flasher switch. If you measure the amount of draw the bulb you are replacing has you can match it with a resistor from an electronics store.

SHARK January 31st, 2008 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I put these in Terry Arfons 34 sedan about five years ago at a shop I worked at. The kits were not the best quality and I had to modify most of the wiring for them to work correctly...

gravguy February 1st, 2008 10:01 PM

instead of a load on the wiring you can change to a digital turn signal relay about 9.00 at pepboys auto parts

bugfink February 2nd, 2008 09:23 PM

So I hooked them up today (not as complicated as I thought (I'm just dumb)) only to find out that they were not that bright! I used the digital relay that I had. Plus when the brake was on it was hardly noticeable. Any thoughts on making those fuckers shine?! Cuz they look so clean.

Social_Joe February 2nd, 2008 10:34 PM

I just read through the linked forum post, seems the guy had to mod his wiring to run 2-filament instead of three for these to work. I guess he used the trailer harness adapter trick, either way, this is a slick as hell mod, for dirt cheap.

Nice find!

bugfink February 2nd, 2008 11:15 PM

I want to put a pic up of the lights. Is there another way other than using a web link? or should I just do a "photobucket" type account?

purplepeopleeater February 3rd, 2008 08:15 AM

the trailer relay is the only "easy" way to get these to get bright, go get one at napa and you'll see!

Also, its about the only way to go getting your blinkers/running lights/brakelights all working on the same bulbs

tattooed_pariah February 3rd, 2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepeopleeater (Post 293539)
the trailer relay is the only "easy" way to get these to get bright, go get one at napa and you'll see!

Also, its about the only way to go getting your blinkers/running lights/brakelights all working on the same bulbs

I must be an idiot.... haha
Unless they're all hidden behind the firewall and i have to yank my engine to see em, i cannot find the wires i need to connect my "taillight converter"...

everyone here says it's easy and every shop I ask says it's impossible.... :Idunno::stupid:

Social_Joe February 3rd, 2008 01:43 PM

Should be able to get to them where they come down by the sides of the engine before they go through the inner fenders to the tailights.

tattooed_pariah February 3rd, 2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Social_Joe (Post 293589)
Should be able to get to them where they come down by the sides of the engine before they go through the inner fenders to the tailights.

I've got dual webers... they take up a lot of space and limit what i can reach.. :(

Social_Joe February 3rd, 2008 02:10 PM

likewise, those duals eat up all that space. You could install it behind the dash. The tails and blinker wires are all right there and you can just cut the brake light wires at the master cylinder and run them up to the magic trailer box. :unsure: