Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   painting an engine case (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24626)

1965aaron January 13th, 2009 10:01 PM

painting an engine case

i dont see many ppl painting vw engines
is it just because its unneeded because magnesium and aluminum doesn't rust?

or is it bad for the engine
runs hotter maybe?

idk
just wondering if i can without causing injury

Hebster52 January 13th, 2009 11:28 PM

Re: painting an engine case

I would say that the reason for not painting the cases is mostly that the magnesium is sort of porous and in time the oil will "wet" through the case. Not leaking but making it greasy and resulting that the paint will not stick to it.

66 Shorty January 14th, 2009 03:23 AM

There's a good resource HERE...

It explains how to paint it so it doesn't bleed through...

& this is another page that tells how to prep the Mag...

Hope it helps!

Boonies January 14th, 2009 05:16 AM

Does not cause any problems but it will come off and really does not look good once it does.

yeah mine was painted and now it look like hell.

66 Shorty January 14th, 2009 05:24 AM

I don't see the benefit of painting the case, seeing you won't see much of the case once the tins are on the engine anyway. :Idunno: I say just clean the case as good as you can. Maybe concentrate on the part of the case that does show once the tins are in place. That way it will look nice & clean once the tins are on.

Make sence?

Scott76 January 14th, 2009 05:27 AM

I don't care how or what you do to it, it WILL be covered in oil!

Boonies January 14th, 2009 05:30 AM

Just wash it ever day or two.

:funny:

PureC4 January 14th, 2009 05:33 AM

Air brush oil leaks on the case. then when they ask is it leaking ..... you can tell them only your painter know for sure ! :blink::blink:

1965aaron January 14th, 2009 07:02 AM

ok
not gonna paint it
i was just wondering
cause i plan on selling my rebuilt engine in the somewhat near future as a longblock
and i figured it would look better painted

but you've convinced me otherwise
thanx for all the inmput!

vwfanatic January 14th, 2009 08:24 AM

just remember......the lighter the color, the faster it will run

66 Shorty January 14th, 2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwfanatic (Post 372396)
just remember......the lighter the color, the faster it will run

Yeah... PINK makes it run the FASTEST though! :funny:

radiotrib January 14th, 2009 10:24 AM

Paint it flat black .. it'll aid with cooling and if it peels you'll not likely see the difference by the time it does ...

You want to be fancy ... polish the strengthening rib edges to hilight the blackness ... they don't leak anyway ...

pet19821 January 14th, 2009 08:58 PM

paint is for freakin concours freaks and samba asses. bare metal always looks best! besides your engine stays cooler i think vw would have painted them. i mean every other car at the time had a painted block. of course those were cast iron.....yeah

Kraut Taco January 14th, 2009 09:26 PM

Man if you paint it, how are you to find your way home now that it doesn't leak all over the place!

fukenloh January 15th, 2009 09:29 AM

Cool article Shorty,but it does seem like a waste of time. Gasoline to flatten gloss black now that just sounds fun:wacko:

Hebster52 October 31st, 2011 01:13 PM

Hmm. Good articles here.
I first was thinking that I'd paintstrip the porsche engine and just clean the case but also have been thinking I might want to paint the visible magnesium details same flatblack as the engine coolingtin...

The camgear covers have some pits so they will not look that good if polished in any case..

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...e/DSC_1218.jpg

Here with paintstripper on as the PO had painted them with some spraycan silvermetallic that is now flaking off....

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...e/20111031.jpg

Pop October 31st, 2011 04:58 PM

I have painted dozens of VW engines without any problems with the paint peeling. I always paint them flat black. Sending a picture of a painted 1835 CC VW engine that is in my little single seat homebuilt Cub airplane. It runs a little cool, if the temp is 70 deg or less, I have to block air that goes to the oil cooler( red hoses). Cruise is 80 mph @ 2700 rpm, burns 3 gph. Also if you put the engine together right, and use a straight weight oil like the VW owners manual says, you shouldn't have any oil leak problems. Pop

shindig November 1st, 2011 07:26 PM

Gex used to (or still does) paint their cases to cover up their shitty work.

metalmaster1766 November 3rd, 2011 02:04 AM

I have also painted a couple engine cases flat black with no noticeable problems, that is until all the cooling tin was taken off, then you could see where it was starting to peel off

Ron
:dancing:

drgn rydr November 6th, 2011 04:47 AM

I painted mine. I used self etching primer( I know the article say not too) and engine enamel. 4 yrs later when I took it apart to fine that the wrist pin clip broken was the cause of my shortened holiday, it was fine. There where a few rub marks from the tins but that was it.

Hebster52 November 6th, 2011 09:33 AM

I was also thinking about testing the etchprimer and some kind of thin enamel or similar over the primer..

Ray-Dean November 6th, 2011 11:23 AM

I have always painted mine. I've never had heating issues. The only one that I had the paint peel on was one that sat in a baja for the twelve years I owned in. And my most recent engine was built in '99 and painted with NASON GM White (I believe the code is LM001) and it's still looking good and holding up fine to this day.

I'm not a "concourse freak" and pretty much anyone here who knows their ass from a hole in the ground knows how I feel about "samba asses".....

Actually, if you paint the case and then apply a high quality wax to the clear coat, mud, dirt, grease, and such things are easier to wash off and thus your engine "can" run cooler and last longer.

The biggest reason for most people not wanting to paint the case is that they believe that an air cooled engine can't be painted. This is not true. The case does very little of the cooling. The jugs and heads do the majority of the cooling.

But what do I know....

Ryan November 6th, 2011 03:15 PM

paint it with oil... then when it leaks it just blends in