Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   thermostat (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38603)

Amber 74 October 14th, 2017 07:58 AM

thermostat

My dual port does not have a thermostat or the flaps in the fan shroud do I need to replace them or is it OK to go without them for proper cooling ?

SCOTTRODS October 14th, 2017 09:29 AM

Re: thermostat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber 74 (Post 588900)
My dual port does not have a thermostat or the flaps in the fan shroud do I need to replace them or is it OK to go without them for proper cooling ?

This would depend on a couple of things, but generally, I'd recommend the thermostat and flaps on most VW air cooled engines. If you live in a cold climate it's a must for one reason, and if you live in a hot climate, it's a must for another reason... So basically the only people who don't "need" them are non existent.

Amber 74 October 16th, 2017 07:07 AM

I live in Hot south Carolina . Where do I find everything to replace them ?

SCOTTRODS October 16th, 2017 10:21 AM

I believe John at air cooled.net has the stuff... it isn't old original stuff but is current best case usually

metalmaster1766 October 18th, 2017 09:27 PM

I'm one of the nonexistent people who doesn't run the thermostat, when I put the chrome fan shroud on the flaps wouldn't function properly so I left it all off, I just make sure I let the engine heat up really good before taking off, I've never really had any problems, altho recently I thought I was having issues, turns out the exhaust I put on back in August has a few leaks, I'm gonna double up the gaskets before it gets to cold

Ron

mkparker October 19th, 2017 04:01 AM

Quote:

So basically the only people who don't "need" them are non existent.
Everyone may "need" flaps but I'm betting after all these years more cars have missing or non functioning flaps than the other way. I've never had functioning flaps in and aircooled VW, but I live in mostly warm Texas and I don't drive an aircooled much in really cold weather. If you have everything apart and are willing to procure all of the proper parts and make sure they are all assembled and functioning correctly you would probably be better off. Lots of videos and info out there to guide you through the process.

SCOTTRODS October 19th, 2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkparker (Post 588926)
Everyone may "need" flaps but I'm betting after all these years more cars have missing or non functioning flaps than the other way. I've never had functioning flaps in and aircooled VW, but I live in mostly warm Texas and I don't drive an aircooled much in really cold weather. If you have everything apart and are willing to procure all of the proper parts and make sure they are all assembled and functioning correctly you would probably be better off. Lots of videos and info out there to guide you through the process.

I'm Betting you're right, Mr. Parker... but I always consider the the saying... "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"... right? Knowing I live near you (Garland G Bush at 78)... I know we can get away without them a lot of the time, but summer time would be nice to have the air flow directed properly to keep temps regulated... I have only ever had 2 VW's with the full set up on them out of I believe 29 Beetles now... Like you, I give advice better than I follow in this situation... LOL :Idunno:

Timbo October 21st, 2017 03:26 PM

I ran my 76x88 slip ins in my 65 bug for 15 years and over 100,000 miles with out the thermostat and flaps. I freshned it up in 03 and just put the flaps in and welded them open to help direct the air. 50.000 so far in the East Tennessee weather. Not really able to tell a radiance but I do drive it on longer interstate trips now tho. You really need all the cooling tins and seals in place.
Tim

Unkl Ian October 21st, 2017 06:01 PM

Motors wear faster, when they are not hot enough.

yimbo November 11th, 2017 07:52 AM

The way it was explained to me years ago was the thermostat moves the flaps to blow air either on the heads or the jugs depending on temperature to keep each at the proper temp. Makes sense to me, don't want either area getting too hot or too cold. Not only do you need the thermostat but it needs to be adjusted properly to put the flaps where the air is needed. Just my opinion.