Thread: Type 3 VolksRod
View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #23
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobnotch@Feb 26 2005, 02:18 PM
Man, when I saw that first sketch, I thought someone added a ghia roof to my Roadster, and chopped the windsheild. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] I like the look John, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img] it'll take some heavy duty measuring before breaking out the sawzall. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] I think you're largest amount of work will be re-contouring the rear deck lid. You might want to look into going with a Notch lid, as it lays a little flatter, and might follow the contour better. This is how I did my Roadster, and it worked out sweet.
I think I can just use the stock decklid and lay it down a bit flatter. It will make the back wall of the decklid slop foward more which will exaggerate the "fins" a little and move the hinge line forward and down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] If you're going with the stock roof, you'll have to shorten it up some to get the porportions right. If I had a bigger pic of my Roadster, you might be able to work out how much you want to lay the "C" posts down in back.
[/b][/quote]

I think the roof is going to end up being a custom fabbed thing around what ever glass I find to use for the rear window. I need to get out and do some measuring and then start checking cars in parking lots for something appropriate. Then go find it in a junkyard or new. I am considering making it a fairweather car, but not doing side glass. Just smooth it all out and go with hardtop doors (no frames). Maybe make some snap-in vinyl side curtains incase I run into rain on the way to a show or something. What do you all think?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Fortunately for you, you're starting with a car that already has a trunk, as that was one of my biggest challenges (fabbing the hinges, and making it work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img] ). Brian and I have kicking around the idea of me turning my Roadster into a t-3 heb, since I've already got a folding top mechanism here. I'm still not sure if I want to do that, as then I won't have an excuse to drive the Notch (when it's raining). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
ahh, so you were the one Brian and I were noodling around ideas for. He wouldn't let the cat out of the bag.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Good luck with this project, and make sure you post some pics. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
[/b][/quote]
you might have to drive down to dearborn to give me a hand when it comes time to start hacking. Could use your experience. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote