View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
NightScreams
Forum Member

Default Nightscreams..let the games begin!!

So here's my little intro thing. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join the mayhem. I'm from New Hampshire, have a lovely wife and two demonic offspring that have aged me WAY prematurely. I suspect it is the revenge of the grandparents but can't be sure. Like many others, I had a VW as my first car. It 'twas a '71 Super with a 1776 and baby Dells, baby blue with pinstriping and little tags on the fenders that said "LeBug" (yes, I'm dating myself with the whole Renault crap). Pretty retarded now, but when I was 18, I thought it was funny. Anyway, after selling it to my sister who let it rust away to nothing, I went on to muscle cars for awhile ('70 SS396, '71 Duster 340), then responsibility reared its ugly head with family and wife and stuff, bringing with it years of crap cars like Citations, Sunbirds, etc. About 4 years ago, I finally was back at a place where I could get what I wanted...another Bug. A year of searching and I found one in New England that wasn't rotted and still affordable. Ugly, yes, but a place to start.

I screwed around with it for a while, doing the usual crap like seatcovers and stuff. When I hacked up the glovebox door to put in a cd player....the purists started giving me the evil eye.

HEH. Never one to back down, I decided right then that RESTO was a 4 letter word. Ok, so it is a 5 letter word but you get me. My son sums it up pretty well.

Sick of vomit tan, I did my first driveway paintjob with some cheap ($29.99\gal at VIP) enamel. Came out not too bad overall but white sucks so it will not stay.

and learned that uncovered decklid vents helps you "detail" the engine too.

This car has a history of a small, poorly repaired hit on the front so eventually I figured it would need a new clip forward of the beam and decided a paint job would follow. I considered making a baja or something, you know, hack off the ends and have some fun. Then....I found Volksrods. And I'm hooked. Unfortunately, my state is militant about fenders on cars that originally had them...so ripping them off and doing the whole thing the way I originally wanted is out. Now, I'm thinking....VolksRodBaja. Kit it. Slam it. Drive it. That's my plan now. I have no garage and it is -6F today so it will be a few months before I start it, so I might change my mind, but right now, that is the plan. I'll update as I figure things out...and try not to be too much of a pain in the ass.
Project: The Freak

Are you good at something technical?
My RideSpace
Page

My little voices are having conversations with your imaginary friends and it is starting to piss me off.

Last edited by NightScreams; April 20th, 2007 at 09:20 AM.
NightScreams is offline   Reply With Quote