View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #51
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Tell your son, Congratulations The test he took is not easy, and he had a lot of competition.

If you need anything welded, he will be your man, because he will be taught to be an expert welder amoung a lot of other things.
I started out going in the Boilermakers apprenticeship in the 60's, and also have a Millwright card. Pop
Thanks, I'll relay the measage.

I think he said there were 64 people counting him taking the test, he got the 2nd highest score out of all 64 of them.

As for him doing all my welding, he has been doing most of it since the summer before his junior year in high school, so he had a little experience before even starting school. I just showed him basics and hjow to adjust it for different diameter rods and thickness of materials, well I showed him what I knew. My oldest son is a purty good welder too (for a carpenter ) Both my son's are very good at most everything they do and also pick things up very easy once they are shown how to do it as was I.
He's gonna finish all the welds on my BitchN Bug once I get everything fab'd up on it and tear it apart to rebuild the engine and tranny

I can only do small welds and tac welds on sheet metal, but as far as my welding goes, I totally suck at it now since having had surgery to both eyes to restore my vision from complications from having diabetes after my kidney transplant, I have mentioned it before that after my kidney transplant I lost all control of my blood sugar.

Here's an example, if welding an inch long I can do that, but when I try to lay down a bead any longer than an inch I can't see where I'm welding unless I have something to guide my hand on in order to keep a straight line, after going an inch I start to go to one side, like if I'm but welding two pieces together that are 3 inches wide, after an inch I start going at a 30 or 45 degree angle to 1 side or the other.

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote