Thread: Type 3 VolksRod
View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #25
Bobnotch
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaransonT3@Feb 26 2005, 05:59 PM
I think I can just use the stock decklid and lay it down a bit flatter. It will make the back wall of the decklid slop foward more which will exaggerate the "fins" a little and move the hinge line forward and down.

I think the roof is going to end up being a custom fabbed thing around what ever glass I find to use for the rear window. I need to get out and do some measuring and then start checking cars in parking lots for something appropriate. Then go find it in a junkyard or new. I am considering making it a fairweather car, but not doing side glass. Just smooth it all out and go with hardtop doors (no frames). Maybe make some snap-in vinyl side curtains incase I run into rain on the way to a show or something. What do you all think?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Brian and I have kicking around the idea of me turning my Roadster into a t-3 heb, since I've already got a folding top mechanism here.
ahh, so you were the one Brian and I were noodling around ideas for. He wouldn't let the cat out of the bag.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Good luck with this project, and make sure you post some pics. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
[/b][/quote]
you might have to drive down to dearborn to give me a hand when it comes time to start hacking. Could use your experience. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
[/b][/quote]

I didn't know you and Brian were kicking around ideas, but I should have guessed he'd get a pro to help him. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

Yeah, the "fins" will require some creative metal work, but if you've got some old rusty rear t-3 fenders laying around, then you can use them for some of the shapes you need. This was how I did the inside of my rear fenders, as I had some laying around. They look more like a Notch now. I could have extended them easily, or even frenched the tail lights on them, but that wasn't in my original plans.

The side curtains would work, but if you can figure out how to get some roll up rear windows like VW Colin did on his, that would be sweet. Yeah, it might take some searching to find a car with a roof you can use, but you never know. I got lucky when I found that Berretta hood fit so well for my rear filler deck. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Just let me know when you're ready to start, and I'll take a ride down. No problem, and always glad to help if I can. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]
Bobnotch is offline   Reply With Quote