View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #7
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Default Re: Quality work? Nah

Okay, to continue. Matt, the shop owner showed up and while I told him what was going on, the girl offered us home made cookies. It didn't hurt that she was cute and had a nice smile. We started sorting through 'shelf parts' including a low miles piston/cylinder big bore kit from a customer who wanted to go even bigger. Pretty soon we'd set aside a nice set of single port heads left over from a dual port head conversion, a nice crank, cam etc. You can likely guess where this is going. In a couple of late evenings, in which they cooked me dinner, I assembled a 1600, and with the vans' intake, ignition, fan shroud, new oil cooler and a used aftermarket muffler, I fired the engine up on the stand. After running it in bit, we left it for the next day and I showed the couple how to check and adjust the valves, adjust the timing, etc. We only charged them for a set of new bearings, gaskets, points, plugs, etc.
After we reinstalled the engine, with the two of them helping, they took a short drive. All seemed well and off they went. We had expected them to head back to Oregon, but then received a post card from L.A. Then from Tijuana, then Arizona, and then other parts of the country. One card had a note about how because of what we had taught them, they had fixed a bug at the side of the road with a closed set of points. Twice, a box of home made cookies arrived. I moved north, changed jobs and lost track of them. But, thinking back about it still makes me smile.
There are still shops out there where things like this happen.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote