View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #95
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Well after running all 12 ga wire it seems my oil temp gauge isn't working, that is unless my oil doesn't get over 122 degrees, yes it went above the 120 degree mark a bit rather than under

I have thought about trying to test the gauge by sticking the sender into a pot of boiling water, and hooking the gauge up to my 12 volt converter, it should be able to read the temp of the water, and water boils at 212 degrees so the needle should go up to that degree mark or close to it
I tried an oven thermometer this afternoon but it wouldn't fit thru the dip stick hole

Anybody think this will work?
Or should I not do that?

I have run out of ideas now other than testing it in boiling water, I have double checked to make sure I wired it properly which it is, The only other thing I can think of is that the wire is to long hell if it was any shorter I'd have a wire running thru the inside of the car pulled as tight as possible from fire wall to the dash

That's my next step before I take it out and see if it works in boiling water, now I wish I wouldn't have bought it and just saved for a CHT gauge

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote