View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #27
moler
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 129
Default Re: Volksrod pickup 'Moler Inc'

I started by removing the base rail of the Beetle seat, and losing the outer springs as these are too short once reshaped...


...to mount the springs to the new base I was going to carve the base rail up and weld it to the new one, but after an internet browse I found a better way, too the lathe for some batch work ...




...and weld on like so...


...the sharp eyed will have noticed that these are a little shorter now! I steamed into making them paying much attention to the springs, unfortunately the spring need lightly shorter tube for them to sit straight, so they all got cut down afetr I'd welded them on


...I reshaped the outer springs to create the centre springs, this still left me one short as one was broken. After much fettling it sits about right...




...I tried to join the top rail like this...


...but I only managed to get one full hole drilled into this hardened spring steel before the cobalt drill bit went blunt, so only one rivet! Bits of wire were added to keep things together while I come up with a plan...


...this is the original joint from later beetle seat frame, sections are layered...


...and this is the one form the Baywindow seat frame, the sections are butted up, I'll probably end up making one of these...


...how the end pieces look before shortening...


...except for two springs and the joint the base is done...


...happy with that...


...lick of primer, some might recognise the colour ...


...and a lick of paint...


...I sourced another base, cheers Mr B for that...


....so all the long springs are now in...


...however, I've had to stretch all the cone springs (one was already broken) and they're still not quite right, so I've ordered all new ones that should hopefully be longer...


...onto the back then, this the bay window one that needs widening, and I'm going to re-spring it almost completely...


...the bits I need...


...these had already snapped off due the original construction method for the seat making them weak. They press spikes into them for retaining the cover, you can just see one at the left end of the bottom bracket leaving very little metal for strength...


...welded into the a section of Beetle base rail...




...so here it is with the original Baywindow end sections, and another piece of Beetle rail for the top...


...fits nicely...


...the second Beetle seat base allowed me to double up on the lower rail for added strength, just need to section it to get over the spine of the floorpan...






...all looked to be going well...


...until...


...DOH!! Back to the drawing board. Amongst the off cuts I found two pieces with bits of the original curves on, these worked brilliantly, and looked a whole lot better...


...that's better...


...fully welded up and ready for some springs...


...option one and two...


...I went with two, square at the top and over hanging the bottom...


...only it was too low...


...so went with option three, square top and bottom...




...I'm now half way across with the springs, each one is modified from original, first it's straightened, then re-bent, I'll try and capture the process for the next update...



Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote