View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #30
moler
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 129
Default Re: Volksrod pickup 'Moler Inc'

Thank you Psychopork

These are the hold down brackets in use...


...they hold the seat down very well, but it was difficult to get in and out, so I've changed them to be more like the original ones, still holds the seat down very well, but eases getting the seat in and out no end...


...I put the padding in from the bug rear seat, and added a steering wheel is see what access was like, I might need a flat bottom wheel by the time it's on the floor...


...anyone know what this wheel is? it needs repairing but I love it...


...for the MOT the rear of the seat has to be secure, so after much deliberation I decided to go back to basics. As you lift the front of the base the rear drops enough to be located into slots, this how VW did it, though I'll be using slots located at either end. I liberated this tube from an old bunk bed...


...to pass though the gap between the B pillars it ends up this short...


...so I need to stand the slots off from the side a bit...


...angle of the dangle ...


...for angling the slots...


...radius'd to make 'em priddy...






...nice...




...except I couldn't get the f****r out!!...


...slight mod took care of that ...




...it feels very solid, even the missus had a try...


...time for a tidy up, this is all that's left from 2 rear seat bases from a bug, and 1 baywindow 2/3 front bench.


On to the latest door...


...the door I'd already done was cut in the wrong place really, and was rotten along the bottom. I got this one off a mate, cheers Col, and save for the handle delete it was in good condition. I didn't want to make a load of noise and dust, so started with the paint stripper...














...I did finish it off with a clean and strip disc, but this took very little time, and created very little dust ...


...I thought who ever had done the handle delete (not my mate) had just filled it with filler...


...but no...


...so on to the chopping, I used the old door for dimensions as it fit well...


...this is one of the incorrect cuts on the other door, staggering the cut means as you cut into the skin, it's in the right place for where the hinge moves up, and keeps the inner frame lined up nicely...


...lock side chopped and tacked back together...


...this is another change. There's an inner strengthener for the hinge, I cut through the last one, this time I saved it...


...frame tacked and the door spun over, this is where it all comes together as I'll have an almost complete skin edge to edge, with no filler in the middle of the door at all...


...joining the skin edges here should prevent distortion...


...I've cut the handle finger recess out as I'll be making my own handles ...


...needs a little fettling, but not bad for a first pass...


In other news, I had a quick timing and emissions check to do on the lovely Poppy, Ma & Pa's '71 Devon Sunlander...



Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote