View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #40
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Volksrod pickup 'Moler Inc'

Very kind words, thank you

It's been a while, but I haven't been idle, I've done work on three bays and my Squareback. But now it's time to get back to the Volksrod.

First job was to have a tidy up as the garage had imploded some what...

...better.

Next job back on the rod was to sort the door gaps out. I already had some skims between the hinges and A pillar as, for whatever reason, the front gap on a Beetle always seems too tight to me...

...after fitting 3mm in the top and 4mm in the bottom the gaps were improved to the point of happiness...

...I then fettled the infill around the door top corner to get an equal gap...

...and so onto creating the rounded door jam. I'll start the curve off on the new door top ...

...I welded the corner piece in fully, both internally across the top, and external down the joint, I then tacked the next bit of the jam in...

...happy I was going the right direction, I welded it in fully...

...then shaped the top in situ...

...and welded it...

...I got a little carried away with the next two pieces...

...then a simple piece to fill in...

...a bit of smoothing back...

...although this picture doesn't really show it, it looks loads better having something behind the door gap.

Sorry it's a short update, I was getting worried I'd lost my enthusiasm for the project, but these 5 short hours have reinvigorated me

Hoping to get a few hours in the garage in the week next week, but I'm in London over the weekend so next weeks update will be short too, normal service should resume thereafter

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote