Thread: Jet Rocket!!
View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #14
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Jet Rocket!!

3-Jan-14

Wahoo, I actually managed 2 days in a row!

Started today by fully welding up yesterday days work, one small section I can't do as it needs pushing out from the inside to line up, so I'll do this bit later...

...then a grind back and smooth...

...not bad considering I didn't go mad with the blending in. Next up was to move the accelerator tube and adjacent pressing, here the salvaged piece from the other pan fleshly blasted...

...area cut out and tube shortened...

...welded in...

...and smoothed...

...attention then turned to covering the old one...

...to make the cover plate first you need some masking tape laid together to make a sheet...

...place it over the top of the concaved pressing...

...without a wax crayon to hand I had to improvise, first I highlighted the high points with a straight edge, and then highlighted that with a marker pen...

...transfer that to my filler piece...

...then cut out, get carried away! weld in and smooth without taking any inbetween pictures :lol: because of the nature of the joint, there's quite a bit of undercut, it didn't bother me at the time, but looking at this picture now makes me want to fill the rest in with weld, even though it's gonna be stonechipped!!

I now needed to move the pedal assembly mounting points, unfortunately there's a bracket inside the tunnel for holding the clutch cable conduit on the passenger side one, so I had to remove the spine closing plate earlier than I really wanted too. First you need to remove that pesky OG underseal, I used my preferred method of a slightly blunt chisel to chip it off...

...this took me less than 10 minutes...

...it took significantly longer to drill the spot welds out!...

...I got carried away again, but remembered just in time...

...this is the bracket, the clutch cable conduit still insitu, the other part of the bracket is for the fuel pipe...

...at this point it started to rain, so I had a clear up and retreated to the blasting cabinet to prepare the naps hat.

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote