Thread: Jet Rocket!!
View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #23
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Jet Rocket!!

12-Apr-14

Prior to the wobble it had been an expensive week for the rod, first was a set of dropped spindles...

...then a pair of UJ's for the linkage that you'll see shortly, all in all 180!! that takes the running total to 705, and I still have few things to sell from the bug :)

My next job was to make a front mount for the gearbox, I had some small box section left over from gate making so I put that to good use fashioned something like this...

...to fit here...

...what can't see here is I've drilled right through to the other side of the closing plate and bolted through it all.

These are the UJ's, had a mate turn me a tophap to go into the gearbox coupling, he TIG welded it on for me (welding envy) unfortunately I missed the fundermental flaw in the plan, it won't pass through the plastic bushed in the tunnel like that :rolleyes: ...

...I have mounted a second guide for the shifter rod further back so it's fully supported so the UJ's will work properly, then cut a slot in the tunnel top for it to come out of...

...I was expecting to have to butt weld these, but the ID of the shifter rod was a perfect sleeve fit for the UJ's...

...while trying the shifter it was obvious that this coupling wasn't going to cut it, the rubber is just to old a spongy and caused more play then the system could deal with...

...so out came the rubber and I roughly welded in nuts as a spacer, no more play meant the shifter works perfectly :) ...

...this is the extra guide mounted further back, both guides have new plastic bushes...

...I've welded the handbrake conduits up out the way of the shifer too...

...start on the pan halves tomorrow

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote