View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #61
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 Cafe Project

Looks like this bike is turning into a money pit, but I am somehow comfortable with that.
I accomplished a lot of a little bit yesterday after getting package in the mail that contained the new clutch plates and fork gaiters.

Once I got to my garage, I started on replacing the fork boots and mount the headlight with the drilled and chromed HL ears that have been sitting in the box I got them in for too long. Took way longer than I though it would take only because there were a few snags I hit at every turn. To install the new fork boots, the front wheel and forks had to be pulled. To do that, the clubmans, the upper triple tree, old headlight ears, and old headlight ears had to be pulled as well. I got around to pulling the old HL ears off, I didn't really pull them off, but had to CUT the fuckers off.
Here was the start of the disassembly:

The forks were covered in rust and shit from top to bottom. I gave them a good cleaning before I put the new boots on. Lower fork tubes:

After cutting the old fork HL ears off. Thanks the lord for angle grinders.

Still more disassembly - HL bucket and electrical came out (doing so created a HUGE pain in the ass once I got the bike back together but will explain later).

Pulling the forks off the bike for real.

Took some #180 grit and sanded down the rust after a piece of stout brillo pad did absolutely nothing.

After knocking off all the large amounts of rust, I polished the fork tubes as best as possible knowing they weren't going to come out perfect. Bummer. Here's after I got the new fork boots back on:

REASSEMBLY TIME
New fork boots and the trick HL ears. Those were a problem in itself since they were make to work with several size fork tubes the fit wasn't spot on. It took some bending here and prying there to get the bolt holes to line up as close as possible. After they were on, they were ON.

Forgot to mention that I also pulled off the gauges to get more elbow room and come to think of it, the bike looked clean and smooth. Here's some more assembly and electrical (PITmotherfuckingA - will vent about that later)

Here's the piece of... of... awesomeness put back together:
I DIG it.

THE CLUTCH
perhaps an intermission would be suitable right here <-
My hands are tired from typing so I'm gonna have a cig and finish up in a min. You should too because this post is fucking long

OK, now for the clutch. If only cars were THIS easy, I would have changed my clutch ages ago.
This is after pulling the main cover off to reveal this spring retainer plate. 4x 10mm bolts to get to the clutch springs and pressure plate/clutch basket.

After pulling off the center nut and washer, the whole clutch basket and pressure plate come out in 1 unit.

Here's the old clutch plates which is different than cars. These use motor oil to lubricate the clutch plates and intermediate plates:

Installation is opposite of removal with only a little adjustment to the cable and clutch adjustment lock which is a breeze.
Still needs a slight adjustment but it's pretty much done. I was going to take it for a spin but the M/C needs a rebuild (another $30 ) since it leaks a tad and was too tired after spending 8 1/2 hours straight on this bike to go riding.

Now for the electrical shit. The bike wouldn't start after kicking and kicking but all the other electrical was working. The coils weren't throwing a spark. I ended up tearing down the harness to trace the wires from the starter switch to the HL. Turns out I missed 1 fucking wire that operates the kill switch. I plugged it in and the bike started with the first kick.

I'll end this whole ordeal on a good note. Today I FINALLY received my pair of vintage Tommaselli Clip ons!
They are a little rough (a little rust here and there but definitely NOT like the fork tubes ) but I'll sand them down tonight and take them over to get powder-coated hopefully tomorrow.

'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote