Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,472
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 472

Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Default How To Restore A Fuel Tank

I did a search on Yahoo and came up with this. It just so happens to be a tech page on how to clean the gas tank on a VW bus. My only suggestion would be to use Master Series paint instead of Por-15.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Fue...storation.html
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
andreas
Forum Member

Default Re: How To Restore A Fuel Tank

naval jelly and rocks work pretty well. the jelly is a combination of muriatic acid (spelling) phosphorous and some other things as well. you would want to remove any plastic or rubber parts before you fill it with the acid, it tear those up. i've been fixing up motorcycle tanks like that for a long time. just through it in there and shake it around for a while, rinse and repeat until clean, seal with whatever you're gonna seal it with. it is, however, a lot easier to shake a motorcycle tank for three hours solid than it is in a bug. by the way, watch your paint job. but that acid will eat the rust off anything. i'm cleaning up my wheels with it right now. By the way, the rocks and shaking are in case your tank has the mini coral reef going on with shit growing in it. it will knock all of that out with a quickness. you could also use nuts and bolts that need cleaning.

Last edited by andreas; March 5th, 2007 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added info.
andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #3
NightScreams
Forum Member

Default Re: How To Restore A Fuel Tank

I have used the same menthod for motorcycle tanks, but I use a couple of short sections of chain instead of rocks, some rocks I've seen have a chemical reaction to the acid. As far as shaking it, I just modified the rotissary (sp) from my outside grill to grab a tank. Could even make a cheap one out of some box steel and rod. Anyway, works great. I've used the POR-15 gas tank sealer with good luck as well. If you aren't going to seal it right away, coat the inside with a light oil to prevent the return of rust.
Project: The Freak

Are you good at something technical?
My RideSpace
Page

My little voices are having conversations with your imaginary friends and it is starting to piss me off.
NightScreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning tank, fuel tank, gas tank, rust in tank