Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,576
Threads: 32,321
Total Online: 606

Newest Member: Wozza

Latest Threads
- by bigguy

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

Default new to volksrods but not new to the vw thing

im not totally new to the site but i am a new member. i just started getting into writing on forums. im also a member of the HAMB but i kindof feel as though the dont want anything to do with the vdubbers. im from northwest arkansas and would really like to meet some people in my area that arent purists. im building a 66 bug at the moment using alot of parts off of my wrecked 70. drunk driver/t-bone/my head thru a front window= parts car... i have a 59 in my back yard that i want to chop and section and turn into a vrod at some point and am going to an auction soon to try and buy an i beam front end off of an old ford. im here to learn so i will listen to any advice that is givin. im looking forward to a long stay here.
matthewsuckerpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

Default Re: new to volksrods but not new to the vw thing

link to my project pictures so far, from this last weekend...

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17692
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #3
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

random shit, trying to get my welding helmet to not be as gay and boring as it was when i got it..

Last edited by matthewsuckerpunch; June 28th, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

didnt feel like posting more pictures so heres the link to the thread with new pictures of todays work.

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...041#post265041
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18158
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #6
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

well its been awhile, i havnt been able to work on my bug much because of the weather mostly and ive had alot going on at the shop too. i worked on it today, used the DA to remove most of the paint on the drivers side of the car and some of the hood. i dont know when i will get to work on it again because of the weather. i have been working on my bike a lil here and there as well, got a carb rebuild kit that i put to used tonight at the kitchen table and will be working on a hard tail for it as soon as i can. no pictures as of right now but ill get some when i goto the shop next.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM   #7
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

i thought my car would already be back togather by now but i had some family issues and the weather as of late has been sucking my ass. sooo with the weather being fucking amazing today i hand sanded my whole car today so it would take primer. ive got a bit of body work on the top, the rear deck, and the hood left to do but i can knock that out in a couple hours. now the only problem im facing is what colour to paint the damn thing. i was going to go with flat or satin black but now i can get the picture of a beatin dead horse out of my head so im thinkin maybe a polar or satin silver with a blood red interior... we have some extra paint around the shop that is a 70's amc colour and its a kindof weird metallic red type shit... might be too cal look for me and im trying not to go that direction. idk if anyone is reading this, im just kindof trying to clear my head of todays thoughts on paint. left the camera at home so i dont have pictures but not much has changed on the paint, its just skuffed up now. i was going to use some dayton knock offs and slam the shit out of it but i can figure out how to tuck them in the rear, im getting a narrowed beam so that takes care of that but not the rear... so im trying to think of an alternate wheel choice. maybe stock? i also need to drop the engine and pull all the tins off when i paint the car so the tin will match. alright, im rambling at this point and left my camera at the shop so i dont have pictures to post but will soon.
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #8
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

holy shit we have progress... not as much as id like but its getting there... please read.
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21802
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #9
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright cats and kittens. ill try to post some pictures in a little while if i can but i dont have much to show for the last 2 weeks. i got my beam in and ive started takin the old one apart to get the leaves out of it and my lowered balljoints off. oh and the steering stuff cause it was all new before the wreck so i can still use it all. some of the little boots need to be replaced. we had to paint some doors and a hood for a customer car this weekend so i pulled my doors and hood out of the paintbooth and installed them. they both still need a bit of tweeking to get them where they need to be. the door screwed arent in for good though, when i paint my wheels and gas tank im going to paint the screws green as well. im really into small details even if im the only one who will ever notice. i hope the rest of the build goes smoothly, its slowed down alot as of late. i need to order a few more seals, id like to get a full floor rubber mat, and get a headliner.... which i dont really want but im gonna get anyway. pictures to come...
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #10
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, today i spent all day trying to get my old beam(s) torn down so i could put the new one togather. turns out my ball joints werent lowered but thats no big deal. the big deal came when i couldnt get the beam off my old bug taken apart... the p/s trailing arms wouldnt come out of the damn beam so i had to go thru the process of taken a second one apart. put the beam on the car so it would be easier to put togather... so i thought. anyway, long story short the car has a newly built adjustable beam. lowered it all the way down and it isnt low at all. so im gonna put some smaller wheels on it when its time to get new shoes for the beast cause i can afford that but not drop spindles. im pretty much broke at the moment but am gonna try to get a headliner and the rest of my door-window seals so i can get the car to the drive-able point. sorry for no pix again but the camera is at the shop. i still need to get the rest of the car wired up and see if i cant figure out what to do about tunes. thats all for today i guess.
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #11
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alrighty, small update for the day. got my chrome trim installed all the way around the car. stole the sunvisors out of my other bug and installed those. did more work on the wrecked bug than anything today. took out the sunvisors (like i said before) pulled the headliner out, took out the popouts and welting for those. we brought the headliner to my moms house and she made me a new one, yes i said made. she cut everything out and made a fresh new liner that should be better than one from a catalog so thats pretty awesome. should get that in 2maro which means i can start putting the windows in but still need to order all my door shit but im thinkin i might just drive the fucker without them untill they show up in the mail... need to KBS (new, better than POR type shit) the pans and install the seats as well. also need to get my tach installed so i can add it to the wiring process. i think after the headliner goes in the rest of the build will be done alot faster. my fiance graduates cosmo skool 2maro so she might be able to come out and help me and then were gonna go see the new batman i guess. again, still no pix but they will come soon!
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #12
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

another update for the day, i got alot done with the help of my parents (as usual) and my fiance. i finally have pictures as well.

beam installed so i can build

getting it built

adjusting the beam all the way down.

and not much happen..

installing the trim... i know flipflops and mesh shorts are not car clothes but its fuckin hot in our shop... ill deal with it.

trim on the car.

starting the headliner that mom made.

almost done!

done! the corners by where the sunvisors will be cleaned up alot so its not so wrinkly

also got the window in, that headliner looks fuckin awesome for a home made... shit, good for an anyone made!

front and rear glass in, 2maro its popouts

now that the headliner is in, i can get alot more done and not have to worry about not getting the windows in. i need to fix my bumper mounts and get my door glass and seals ordered but i think im gonna go ahead and drive the car without the door glass till it comes in.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #13
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, another update for the days work... its starting to really look like a fuckin car again so thats makin me piss my pants excited. my mom and fiance finished the headliner today while i did some welding. the just covered the side pillars and under the back windows to finish it off and it looks awesome. my fiance and i put the pops out in, she held them in place while i fucked around with each one for about an hour, i dont know why they always give me a hard time but they do. it didnt really matter how long it took to put them in cause when they were done they looked freakin awesome as always. while the ladies finished the interior i fixed the bumper mounts, the bolts were busted off in the when i got the car so i just cut the originals out and fabricated some new ones. i used some square tube'n with holes in it we had lyin around and cut them in half and then just cut away what i didnt need till they looked like lil puzzle bits and then welded them in. we got the fender wells/fenders for the front undercoated for noise or some shit like that that doesnt ever work. need to get another can and finishe up tomorrow since i fixed the bumper mounts. i painted half of the truck and my hood levers also so they arent blue anymore. i think thats it for today, i hope to get the fenders mounted up front tomorrow and the running boards so i can get them the hell out of the way.... i think my old man is pissed at me cause i havnt done any real work at the shop besides prep'd some stuff for paint about a week ago but i need to get this car done, its been in the shop for a year next month and id like to have it finished for eureka... ill drive with now door glass if i have to... i still need to paint the gas tank, the wheels, and a few things that are green and install the engine fire wall. its close... i can feel it! prob more pix tomorrow or the next day. thank you for reading my ramblings...
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM   #14
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

almost forgot that i found the bumpers im using, im just one over-rider short and ill be done with those. they arent pretty but they will do for free.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM   #15
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

didnt goto the shop today, my fiance will be out of town for about a week so i spent the day with her doing wedding planning stuff. im just going to ramble about stuff thats on my mind. im getting super close to finishing my car, i need to start working more during the day than i am cause im not bringin in any cashflow and that needs to change... especially after today, i spent a about 100 bucks, which isnt alot but its more than i needed to spend on my car. even though ill have about 98% of what i need to make the car "done" so im done for awhile after this order. i got the rest of my door window seals and ordered some turn signals. i was able to salvage more than i thought off my other bug so thats always a bonus. after i get another can of undercoating ill be able to put the rear fenders on, i just need to cut the welting for the fronts for now. i think the biggest thing that i need to finish is the wiring and rear suspension. i need to paint the pan and bolt the body back town for the last time. i need to figure out the music situation if any and i found the suicide knob that i got last year for this project. id like to get it striped after its on the road with a green (to match the rest of the green) and white. still need to paint the green, i think ive said that in every post so sorry for that... again this is all shit thats on my mind. the seats can go in i guess but id like to paint the chassis first and maybe find something to cover the luggage area and get a back seat for it too... im just ready to drive this thing so its always on my mind as of late.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #16
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, heres the pictures and shit from the last bit of work i did over the last 2 days. mostly just kindof dicking around with stuff trying to pull it all together. first off is the pictures of the bumper mounts i had to fab and weld in.

old mounts cut out, otherside looks the same.

used some square tube with holes in it and figured out the length and them cut it, then cut the tube in half.

test fit both sides and figured out what cuts i needed to make so that it would fit more like an original would.

all the cuts are made and i welded the nuts into the back so i will be able to mount the bumpers. i used a bolt and screwed a nut down tight so there wasnt a gap between the mount and the nut, also so it wouldnt be off center then welded it.

finished product, welds arent straight but they are solid. i test fit the mount and the holes line up perfect and im still able to adjust the bumpers after they are mounted, like the originals.

bumpers... obviously

trying to get the fender welting in right... its easier with 2 people. ones fitting the welting and the other tightening the bolts.

another shot of that sexy headliner with the popouts installed

and last but not least my fiances bad ass back piece
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #17
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

well it was another hot ass day... dirt and sweat just dont mix very well if you ask me. got my steering rod shit all seat up just need to get the steering wheel installed. trying to get all the wiring done, i think we took care of the front of the car now we just need to get the tail lights and motor stuff run to the back and the car will be ready for an electrical test. being that i stole the chassis for this car from my wrecked 70 its running small 4 bolt wheels, this is a problem because i hate those things and im really trying to make this car as close to what i see in my head and i see wide 5's... problem fixer? stealing the breaks off a 66 thats out in the yard that we got for free cause this dudes wife is a bitch and made him get rid of his bug, luckily for me, we just replaced the brakes a week earlier so they are all brand new! ill just have to do alil work on the b/j stuff upfront like switching the bearings out and all that crap but thats alright... whats a little work for the look i want? we also just had a customer bring us like 8 wide 5 wheels that are in awesome shape and shouldnt take much to get them in paint (and they were free!) i figured out my tire size too so im ready when the time comes for that. got the rear fenders undercoated and they are ready for the fender install. also got my tach installed. alot of small shit and i know nobody wants to read this crap but i like to catalog everything im doing even if its for my own use... but if your reading, thank you!
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #18
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

well, exciting news. my parents (who i work for/with) and both know their ways around dubs have desided to come to the shop and pull and "maybe all nighter" starting after we goto the hardware store in a few minutes. not alot left to do, rear fenders, rest of the wiring, seats and i need to replace all the drums/brakes to 5 lug pattern stuff. i hope the rest of my parts came in so i can finish this shit tonight! ill post again when we i get home with the end of the night update. with me luck!
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #19
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, was at the shop till around 3 this morning and am headed back in a few minutes to try and finish up all the shit we started. i took apart 7 sets of brakes on 2 different cars and switched out my 4 lug stuff with 5 lug stuff. i had to switch out pretty much everything, i just need to find smaller tierod ends to match up to the stuff im running now. if you ever want to do this, know its alot of work cause you literally have to switch almost everything. i have to do the pass front today and ill be finished with that, i also got the rear fenders installed but need to do the welting. my mom put in a radio for me. i need to find a glove box and figure out what im gonna do for a trunk handle. like in every post, i need to finish the damn wiring... anyway, back to the grind... ill have some pictures tonight.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #20
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

ill try to keep this post short cause im tired from working late hours trying to avoid the heat, that isnt working all that well but im getting what i can done. i got all the spindles and drums switched out so im officially running wide 5's finally. im having a weird issue with my rear bumper, i made the new mounts and one is less that a quarter inch off so im having trouble adjusting it after i get it bolted in and im not able to get my decklid to shut... im gonna cut it out and put it back in a hair down so it wont be so tight. if i cant figure it out ill just cut the bumper a bit cause its so close to closing that i dont care. it seems that my bumper is really far from the fender for too and im confused about why the deck wont open... maybe im just to tired to figure it out. got the rest of my window seals in today so thats getting started tonight. ive started the long process of bolting the body to the chassis, not sure why i waited to damn long but thats always a slow process cause ur either on ur back doing it or looking up the cars skirt doing. both uncomfortable if you ask me. not much left after that really, just loose ends. now for pictures.

sorry most are blurry.

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #21
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

well after drilling cutting and a bit of dremel action i got my new turnsignals installed. i desided to stay with the earlier look of the taillights and got earlier turnsignals. i ordered these from empi and was surprised at th equality of the product... but they did need modifications and fit kindof funny but they werent made out of crap like most of their stuff seems to be leaning towards. i also got my running boards mounted and that made me happier than anything. in my opinion, a car that is a "complete" car doesnt look that way until the running boards are installed. i think it just kindof ties the car up. brings everything from the front to the back together. anywho, short day, got more of the body to chassis bolts in so im getting closer to getting the car bolted together completely. anyway, heres pictures.

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM   #22
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, i know your all prob tired of my updates but i promise im almost done. i love my car and am proud of the work im doing and have put into. also thankful for having a family that loves this shit as much as i do and is willing to help me where i cant help myself... so to speak... and im thankful for what they have taught me. anyway, lets get down to brass tax. got the chassis bolted down with the only trouble being my arms getting tired. got all my seats installed and got the back "door panels" installed. got my hood pull tube welded in an painted black. my mom is trying to finish the wiring. i also got this awesome cup holder installed and wish i could find another one for the otherside. started getting the door glass cleaned up and realized the drivers side is fucked up really badly, all kinds of deep scratches so i have to replace it. i think thats about it for today, i hope to be painting the wheels and tank by the weekend. heres pictures!

surprise!

just incase

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #23
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

first off, i didnt bring the camera home from the last couple days. i got alil done though. my dad was nice enough to finish the wiring cause thats really the only thing ive never tried to do myself. i can build engines, install carpet, redo seats, do body work... etc. etc. etc. but not wiring... someday. anyway, now we just need to finish putting everything in its place. wiper button, lights, starter button... shit like that. i was gonna steal all the wheels and tires off my bus so i can atleast drive the car while im waiting to paint mine but desided against that for now. we got one door completely finished minus the door panels which im still not sure what we are gonna do for those. uuuuum... i figured out the rear bumper situation finally and it will be done 2maro. and ill start on the front bumper as well and that will take care of the bumpers (minus the foglight and reverse light). i installed my damn pedel cluster and forgot the plunger for the master cylinder(sp) so i have to take the damn thing out which is a bitch cause im afraid i have to take the seat out to do it to make my life easier... idk thought. im running out of money and still need to buy 2 front tires, hopefully i can find 2 tires for cheap somewhere... i need to paint my wheels before i do that thought. maybe 2maro... atleast primer... prob not... im hoping to take the car to my friend eddies bachelor party this weekend so i need to get the fucker done... and have a couple days for shake down. pix 2maro.

Last edited by matthewsuckerpunch; August 4th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #24
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

alright, i thought we were finished with the wiring but were not. close but not quite. i ended up stealing the wheels off my bus cause they have brand new nankang 165 tires on them and im not driving it at the moment. i took some rims that werent hooped and found a place that sold me two lopro tires for a outrageous 42.00 bucks mounted. they arent brand new but ill get a few miles out of them till i can afford better. im just gonna go ahead and drive the car without painting the wheels till i have time to clean them up and paint them... paints not gonna stop the car from driving. i still need to drop the engine so i can install the firewall. i got my lowered shocks in today and they are waiting for their new shoes to be put on. other than alot of finishing stuff i hope the car will be done by friday (if it takes me all fucking night). i have a couple pictures, i didnt want to put an antenna on the car cause i wont use the radio and didnt know how to fill the hole (last minute thought) and my fiance had a brilliant idea (see pix below) that ive never seen done and i think it works well. got the rear bumper finised and just need to finish the front but again it wont stop me from driving. here are some pics and hopefully the next ones will be of me driving it and or doing doughnuts.

oh and i found a mexican blanket to cover the back seat. its pink but i think it works ok with the style of the car, i just need to put some masonite on the back to cover the insides of the seat.

who ever said it HAD to be on the hood?

Old August 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #25
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

i know i just posted and im getting annoying but i had a change of heart/plans. im gonna go back into the shop and just work till i drop... and then drive 40 miles home in the middle of the night. im gonna go up, get the wheels ready and paint them tonight and let them dry till 2maro. we have to mess with the brakes cause we switched everything around. im gonna make the bumper braket for the front bumper as well cause my rubber snubbers are gonna be here 2maro. idk if i can drop the engine or not 2nite cause the car will be up on blocks and i dont have enough man power to move the double cab out of the lift bay, move my car in and then switch them around again so that has to wait... anyway. hope to get it close 2nite...