Total Online: 482

Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old June 1st, 2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Spike
Forum Member

My question is that after you chop the top on your VW, are you able to have the glass for the rear window cut, and have it fit the same way it did before the cop top, or do you have to buy some clear plexi glass, and put holes on it, screw it down to the body, then glue half the rubber fitting around the window.

I want mine to still be able to fit the window on the way it used to, but be much smaller than it is.

Just question.

Thanks!
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:35 PM   #2
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

The tempered glass used in typical rear windows can not be cut.And Plexiglas/Lexan looks terrible.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Nick
Forum Member

Depends on how it's chopped, some are chopped with a stock-sized rear window. The ones that are chopped glass, I'm not sure how. Talk around your local glass places and ask for suggestions.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 03:11 PM   #4
Spike
Forum Member

so should i just try to find a rear oval window to put in while im at it, that way that can stay at stock diameter?
Old June 1st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #5
Nick
Forum Member

That's all your personaly preference really. If you want the stockrear window look then fo that way but if you like teh chopped window lok then you have no choice but to get the glass cut.

Mine's chopped with stock Oval clip (how I bought it so can't give you any more info)

Old June 1st, 2003, 03:55 PM   #6
rooster
Forum Member

This car has a 6" chop if it helps. I think it was cut up from the quarter glass around the top of the oval somehow. It was hard to tell when I saw it sitting in the freezing cold weather like it was.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:16 PM   #7
Spike
Forum Member

how much was yours choped nick?
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:22 PM   #8
Nick
Forum Member

Approximately 4.5" and the back about 2.5" I'm guessing. I got the car 2 owners from the guy that chopped it so not certain.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:56 AM   #9
vwfanaticboy
Forum Member

Hey there. I spent a lot of time on this. This is going to get kind of hard to follow, I think but I'll give it a try.

To get a short rear window you will have to either have a rear window made out of lexan or find a REALLY good glass shop to make you a custom rear window and curve it to fit your car. I have to imagine that this will cost a couple thousand dollars because I haven't found anyone who will make a curved window from scratch.

Reason: The top of the rear window has a specific radius curve to it. This curve is much flatter than the curve that makes up the bottom of the rear window. (its obvious when you look at it). The rear window glass is shaped like a section of an upside-down cone. It has a more flat end on the top and a more curved end on the bottom. When you take 4 or 5 inches out of the opening and weld everything back together, then you have the same top curve and the same bottom curve. These just get welded back together. HOWEVER, they are about 4 or 5 inches closer together. If you try to cut the glass by taking the top 4 or 5 inches off of the window, then the bottom of the window will match up with the bottom window opening but the top of the glass will not have the same curve as the opening anymore. The glass will be more curved than the opening. Obviously you will have a similar problem trying to cut off the bottom of the glass. In reality, you would have to cut a section out of the middle of the glass to get this to work (obviously that isn't going to be very easy)

I have been working on ways to get around this because I REALLY don't like the full sized rear windows in a chopped car. The cheap way around it is to install a stock oval window into the car after it is chopped. (or a split window or even a split window fiberglass kit if you are really on a budget).

Another way to do this (this is the way I will use when I ever do another chop top) is to get your glass cut down 5 inches by a glass shop before you do anything. Then, when the top is off of the car during your chop top, install the cut down rear glass into what is left of the window opening (the lower half of the window opening is still in the car). The upper half of the glass will be sticking up into the air. Now, cut the top half of the window opening clean out of the roof so you just have the window opening with a few inches of metal all around it. Then, cut your 5 inches off of the sides of the upper window opening so that the window opening, when welded back together, will be the correct height for the window.

Finally, take the upper half of the window opening and, with some coaxing with maybe a hammer and a saw, curve it to fit the glass. Once the upper half fits the glass (the lower half has not been modified because the glass fits it correctly) then you can weld the upper half of the window opening back onto the car and install the glass (just to make sure it fits). I would say you should then remove the glass and begin building the chop top onto the window opening that is sticking up into the air. OR you could then cut the ENTIRE window opening out of the car. Then you can do the entire chop top job as usual and weld the short window opening back in at the end.

This has been a presentation of Logan's Rambling Inc.

Logan

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ldmiller/hvws5.jpg

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ldmiller/hvws6.jpg
vwfanaticboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #10
Spike
Forum Member

yeah i get that logan, thanks :)
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM   #11
vwluvrs
Forum Member

Try this web page on for size, as they show a chop.... In progress
Chop a Bug
vwluvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #12
jonvws
Forum Member

to reiterate:

you CANNOT have tempered glass cut down.

the best look for a chop is either a oval, or split window section grafted in after chop to keep over body line.

the few chops i have seen with plexi cut down large style windows, looks like ass. it never follows the rear lines of the chop very well.
jonvws is offline   Reply With Quote