Newest Member: qrrlopbrs7

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #1
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

Default Donna what to title this thread

I've got a little Fiat with a lot of rust issues. Italian metal rusts up a lot differently than the German stuff, and it's REALLY thin, so much so that welding sometimes isn't an option for me.

The corners of the hood are deeply pitted, like frame rails usually are on Model As and Ts. The corner metal is thick, although the metal on the top of the hood can be depressed using your thumb, and it's all one single piece . . . WEIRD.

Anyway, to stop the rust, I've ground/sanded/filed/blasted it down to clean(ish) metal and applied a couple of coats of MasterSeries, them spread JB Weld like body filler into the remaining pits with a light skim coat over the whole corner area. I'll follow with another skim of polyester filler and primer sealer when all done.

Was wondering . . . anyone know if this chemical sandwich will hold up? I fashioned an "X" brace under the hood to eliminate the flexing, so cracking or damage due to "mechanical" means isn't an issue and the rust itself is pretty much held a bay for the length of MY interest/ownership of the car. I was just hoping that someone had a clue as to whether the various layers will bond and hold tight?

Thanks,

TC

Last edited by TeamEvil/TC; December 19th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
TeamEvil/TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Default Re: Donna what to title this thread

Well, it seems to me that your biggest enemy would be flexing and you seem to have that covered with the bracing. Next would be any type of moisture getting between the layers. This of course is taken care of with outer coats of Master Series.

Heck, I think you are good.

But of course what the Hell do I know?
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
bigguy
Forum Member

tc what is the chemical makeup of each layer. I think if they are relatively close then no issue should occur but i don't know the chemical properties of the masterseries and jb weld. Might not be a bad idea to re master over top the jb weld again then i know body filler will stick to that with scratching it first.
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
ClassicGMJunkie
Forum Member

FIAT = Fix It Again, TC....

62 Impala buildup...kustom/6shooter lowrod

62 Impala 2dr HT build

70 Corvair-motorvated drop top Beetle Projekt
70 Cabrio build

Intro thread

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25084
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

You're right Big, I bet that once the JB Weld is cut down and sanded out, a last coat of Master Series might just be the finishing touch before final sand and prime.

Good idea!

I'm going to wait another day and then forcefully try to lift one the JBW patches off of the Master Series base coat. If it holds, I'll follow through with your suggestion for sure. If it lifts . . . then Plan B.

No wait . . . Plan B was the one where I travel to California and begin hunting down all of the 80's tough guys like Barretta, and The A Team and the like. Sand bag them on the street and restaurants and such, beat the living fuck out of them with a hammer and run away.

I figure that it'll make the news first night out and in under a week every supposed fuckin' tough guy from the past two decades of television will be hiding under their beds out of fear that they'll be turned into a bitch on the nightly news.

"Hollywood Tough Guys Cower and Cover! Golds Gym a Ghost Town ! ! ! !" News at Ten on Ten.

OK then . . . if the JB Weld doesn't hold, it's onto Plan C.
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #6
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

who's donna?
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

It's the name of this thread. I would have chose Bob or even Sven but Donna has a good ring to it.
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #8
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

'zat kinda like packin ya ca in havad yad?
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #9
mkparker
Forum Member

Oh, Donna Oh, Donna
Oh, Donna Oh, Donna
I had a girl
N Donna was her name
Since she left me
I've never been the same
Cause I love my girl
Donna, oh where can you be?
Where can you be?
Now that you're gone
I'm left all alone
All by myself
To wander and roam
Cause I love my girl
Donna, oh where can you be? - Where can you be?
Well darlin, now that your're gone
I don't know, what I'll do
All the time, and all my love for you-o-o
I had a girl
N Donna was her name
Since she left me
I've never been the same
Cause I love my girl
Donna,oh where can you be?
Where can you be?
Oh, Donna Oh, Donna
Oh, Donna Oh, Donna
Oh, Donna Oh, Donna

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #10
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

Donna would be the Boston equivalent to "don't know" I suppose . . . is ANYONE still named Donna? Was anyone other than Donna Reed EVER actually named Donna in real life? I've never met a Donna . . .

Anyway, I got a tip about All Metal, which I'll try out, but if I can't find any, it'll be OK 'cause the Master Series/JB Weld?Master Series sealing sandwich works a treat ! ! ! !

Just great, and for me this is REALLY going to the limit. All of my "body work" thus far consisted of dirt and pine needles and Master Series and maybe some liquid nails and cheap old used up cans of bondo . . . used for filler and patch metal.

If this continues to work out this well, it's gonna look factory fresh to my eyes.

Couldn't be more pleased and thanks for all of the incredible help and input ! ! ! You guys are just the BEST ! ! ! ! ! No . . . . REALLY . . . .
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
fishguts
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamEvil/TC View Post
Donna would be the Boston equivalent to "don't know" I suppose . . . is ANYONE still named Donna? Was anyone other than Donna Reed EVER actually named Donna in real life? I've never met a Donna . . .

Anyway, I got a tip about All Metal, which I'll try out, but if I can't find any, it'll be OK 'cause the Master Series/JB Weld?Master Series sealing sandwich works a treat ! ! ! !

Just great, and for me this is REALLY going to the limit. All of my "body work" thus far consisted of dirt and pine needles and Master Series and maybe some liquid nails and cheap old used up cans of bondo . . . used for filler and patch metal.

If this continues to work out this well, it's gonna look factory fresh to my eyes.

Couldn't be more pleased and thanks for all of the incredible help and input ! ! ! You guys are just the BEST ! ! ! ! ! No . . . . REALLY . . . .
I knowa Donna - real PITA sometimes.

Curious to hear how that All Metal stuff works out.
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #12
401-Restos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

TC...although Masterseries is a great rust preventive product...all metal areas should be covered in an Epoxy based product..if MasterSeries has this chemical bind it will be fine providing you didn't break through it when doing your filling process.

when applying your fillers it's best to do this over the epoxy or the equal. NO FILLER SHOULD BE MORE THAN 1/4" THICK!!! it will crack,sink and basically distort with uv heat and panel flex. All-Metal fillers are available at NAPA or a paint supply store or I can get you a gallon,qt which ever when ever you'd like I'll grab it from the jobber and you can hit me back.

moisture is a paint jobs worst nightmare,this will sweat the metal and eventually bubble,blister or even cause the paint to blush or peel over time. keeping the moisture from getting between layers is pretty simple:
- never put raw paint over untreated metal
-never use high build primer as a metal etcher
-never used metal etch as a high build
- always cover bare metal with epoxy such as DP 60-70-80 etc equal.

the way you did it dood, with minimal moisture, you should be fine...try and stick with a single stage paint system as they tend to be a bit more diesel than the base clear system of today,(yes base clear is brittle look at any new cars hood after 10k miles...)the more coats of clear can also have the same affect with chipping as well. the more coats with single stage,gives you a great shield but could dye back after the heat of the sun. (because of the mill thickness and traped solivents)

filler is a tool when used correctly,not put on in access of a 1/4" thick layers,any one who thinks other wise needs to go back and learn how to hammer and dolly a panel, factories have been using it and lead since the 40's and the shit never is visable till the day the car gets crashed.
Cypress screen printing
MSE shifters
DSS Performance

Last edited by 401-Restos; December 20th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
401-Restos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #13
401-Restos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

btw ALL-Metal is an awesome product as well as Dura Glas filler for those deep scars and fiber glass work.

hope this helps for yooz
Cypress screen printing
MSE shifters
DSS Performance

Last edited by 401-Restos; December 20th, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
401-Restos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #14
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I know three Donnas. Coakley, Anderson and DiMauro. Wouldn't sing a song about any of them though....
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #15
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

Donna DiMauro ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

What a PERFECT name ! ! ! ! I mean, you could make that up in a million years. She's GOT to have a couple of sisters and a big dumb-assed brother as well. That's the name of a girl that's best kept a mile or more away from you at all times. You marry her and you marry her family, eventually you come home from work and your apartment is EMPTY, her sisters talked her into "not taking any more shit, 'cause you don't gotta . . . " and her brother moved all of the stuff.

Whenever I have a bad time of it, I thanks the stars that I never met a Donna . . . although I bet that this one has REALLY nicely done nails.
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #16
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamEvil/TC View Post
Donna DiMauro ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

What a PERFECT name ! ! ! ! I mean, you could make that up in a million years. She's GOT to have a couple of sisters and a big dumb-assed brother as well. That's the name of a girl that's best kept a mile or more away from you at all times. You marry her and you marry her family, eventually you come home from work and your apartment is EMPTY, her sisters talked her into "not taking any more shit, 'cause you don't gotta . . . " and her brother moved all of the stuff.

Whenever I have a bad time of it, I thanks the stars that I never met a Donna . . . although I bet that this one has REALLY nicely done nails.
Lol, not too far off. Let's see, family owned a liquor store and a pizza shop, but it's a good family. Da neice is my kids 3 rd grade teacher and a Ravens cheerleader.

Coakley owns an Irish pub and resturaunt, and Anderson is a chemical engineer