Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,709
Threads: 31,705
Total Online: 65

Newest Member: bugbittin

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by DrHax
- by DrHax

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #26
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Bugger Off

I figured its time to throw some update pics on here.

Heres John's killer lines.

I figured up a great in-tow lighting. Which come in very handy for those far way shows that the wife won't ride in the bug that long (other state tips).

The 2008 York Summer Sizzle show.

Me cutting a cherry 67 rear bumper!!

The 2008 East Coast National Classic Car Show.

Local car club toy run.

Oh yea. I did get pulled over by a State Trooper for speeding. He liked the car but still gave me a ticket. Oh well! It could have been worse!

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #27
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Its been a while since my last update on Da Bastard. I'll throw some random pics out here. Like any other toy or car, you are NEVER done "tweeking" it.

Well over the winter I kind of parked it for a little to work on the beam. I narrowed it 4" and installed 2.5" drop spindles.

I'm still not happy enough with this because I still got 1.5" left between the ground and my framehead. I have another idea in mind to fix this but its going to have to wait til I get my air ride set up on it first.

I have been quiet on doing much with it over the summer due to working on the camper but I did manage to get to a couple of VW shows in PA and 1 up in CT with it. I'll be back up to CT for some shows next year once me project calm down a little. Campbelltown show was a blast too. Here is some pics of Da Bastard there.

Oh yea I can't forget the fun stuff too!! I had a couple of run ins with the cops around here! I have been driving for over a year with an open decklid and the engine exposed. WELL... Lets just say they didn't like that! One cop was an ass about it but I wasted his time pretty good (it was during the Jalopy Showdown and there was tons of other cars he wanted to pull over). I HAD to read the ticket before I signed it. Well I'm a SLOW reader!! Then 3 weeks later another cop (different township) pulled me over for an open decklid. He was pretty cool about it and we had a long talk about it. He just gave me a "Fix-It-Ticket". Yea I fixed it for NOW!!!! Here the one from the Jalopy Showdown. Hang it with pride!

Next is the engine & transmission.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:05 AM   #28
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It's been some time since my last post. There has been some playing and mistakes (wrecked Da Bastard, not bad, its fixed aready). But the last 4 months in been sitting since I'm not home to drive it much (due to moving and working out of the area). I tried to how off on building my new engine for it but I'm not one to wait long for anything. So heres my idea that so far has taken 4 years to get to this point. I got a '74 Porsche 914 1800cc engine, 4 years ago. I broke it down and took it to the VW machine shop. Got it cooked, cleaned, machined and inspected to his liken (he raced these engine and knows them in, out, & upsidedown). I got it back and been sitting waiting for my and teh money to put into it. Its that time now. I have everything to close the case. It is ending up to be a 2100cc with a TON of custome stuff that I have to make. I ended up getting a free 2000cc block that had the crank and rods with it (thats key here). So the 2.0L crank and rods are going into this block (different bearings needed). I got a nice mild cam with straight cut gears (less thrust against the bearing) and a new set of 96mm x 71mm stroke piston/cylinders. **little note: the 1800 & 2000 have the same bore in the block and heads, the difference is in the crank and rods; and same valve sizes too** I'm planning on a lighten flywheel, dual Dellortos (40's), a ton of custom cooling tins (have to make them since they don't sell the style I want). I have a custom crank pulley AJ hooked me up with (pics to come). Its been a lot of planning and reseaching so if your interested sit back and enjoy the ride. Its going to be a long one since its take a lot of money for this type of engine. I'll have more money in this engine then I do in my whole car or another way to look at it is I could build 3 VW engine for the same cost!

So here are some pics of it being torn down.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #29
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

This has been a long time coming. I finally start on the T4 engine. I was waiting to get my new main bearing off the 1.8L crank (had to pull the cam gear off) and start assembling the 2.0L crank. I got it off and assembled the 2.0L crank then it hit me. I put the wrong cam gear on the crank. SO I had to pull it off again and put on the straight cut gear. It took me 3 times to put that cam gear on. What a pain is the ass! The T4 cam gear is bigger than the T1 gear, so the standard gear puller doesn't work.

Then I started to assemble the rods. I all was going well until the craftsman torq wrench shit out on my and I ended up snapping one of the freaking rod bolts. Now I have to find someone to press out the sheared bolt and one of teh good one from another rod and press it into the right rod. But in the meantime I finished the other rods. Then I assembled the cam gear onto the cam shaft.

So I'm all set up to run with this engine once I get the sheared bolt swapped out.

setup ready to work.

wrong cam gear.

right cam gear.

fuck up!

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #30
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Stopped at the local shop. Told him what happened. He looked at me and took the part over to the bench and pounded it out with a hammer. It turns out that they can be tapped out. I thought they were press fitted. So any ways, after my blonde moment, I fitted my fuck up.

The crank is assembled and ready to move forwards to the longblock!

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #31
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I left work early to go play with the engine. I took my time and doubled check everything. Its taking sometime but its getting there. The short block isn't totally done yet but it won't take long to get there. I want to double check some stuff yet and then its off to the long block.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #32
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Couple of weeks ago I installed the oil pump. I had to clearance the back of the oil pump a little, plus I even had to swap out the cam bolts to button head allen insets. I got the bottom plates sealed up. The head bolts are installed now too.

The head were machined several years ago when I torn it down for inspection. The heads where fly cut, cleaned, new valve guides, new valves & seats done. Today I made a valve spring compressor and swapped out the springs with heavy duty high rev springs with new retainers.

Now the I have to seperate the pistons from the cylinders to clean & inspect them. I'll oil them up and install them onto the case. I'll have a it to a long block before to long.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement

Last edited by Scott76; March 6th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #33
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I finaly got to clean & inspect the p&c. I oiled them up and installed them. The heads were ready so they went on with no problem.

I have to install the little tins under the cylinders (T4 tin you put on after the heads are on, T1 you have to install before the heads are on). I want to get them blasted and painted first. Then the rest of the valve train with be installed. I have to order the front & rear main seals (I thought I had them but can't find them anywhere).

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #34
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I finally got the right carbs for this engine after the second try. Lucky that they came with rebuild kits because they truly needed it. I got the Dellorto book the other day so I started on them. It took most of the day to just get ONE rebuilt. It is cleaned and detailed inside & out. What a pain in the ass. Just think I have to do the other one yet.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #35
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I finally got the other 40 Dellorto finished tonight. Freshly rebuilt dual 40 Dellorto's. They look so awesome together.

Here they are mocked up on the Porsche engine. Hope my engine bay is big enough.

I mocked up the front pulley but holy shit I have to cut ALOT of the block away to get it to fit. I don't know if I have the guts to jump right into that yet. I got a high volume oil pump the other day that I need to swap out yet. Once the oil pump and pulley are installed I get to start working on the tins. I have to make the gen. stand too.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement