Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old April 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #26
c1run1
Forum Member

Default Re: My current VR project...

Al,
Looking good I like the wheel and tire combo .
77 dodge Chopped Morgan
2011 chevy HD
c1run1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #27
fungus
Forum Member

Very nice, Jeff! Looks like you've been having fun in the garage! She looks sexy with those new shoes...
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #28
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got my VR.com plaque in the mail the other day(thanks Steve!)...the sun came out and what'a ya know...I got motivated to roll the VR out into the warm Kauai sunshine (81 degrees). Hung my reworked decklid(still needs adjustment..) and scrubbed the bluing off my wide whites. Got a gas tank on the way from Andy(vintage raze). Thanks Andy! Gonna pull the trans, grind the housing for 12v and install longer(1967) axels, detal and reinstall. Once thats done I'll take my final measurements to narrow the front beam. Detail and install then finish brakes & plug in the engine. End of phase 1! Lots more to do after that.... very slow but never forgotten!
Aloha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR 003.jpg (122.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg VR 002.jpg (115.1 KB, 9 views)
Al Low Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #29
tirezan
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looking very cool Jeff. I love the whitewalls. Santa told me he has something very cool for your Vrod. 20 degrees and 3 inches of snow with more to come overnight here in good ole Murphy NC.
tirezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #30
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Attachment 27092Lookin' good Al lo Ha!
I see we both think flat black is overdone....Lumpy izza same color.
I like it.. It hides the lumps and the dirt

Last edited by rostigbug; January 1st, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
rostigbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #31
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hey ya'll I'm in the brown crowd too. No flat black for me either. We use Rustoleum Ruddy Brown primer for the body and Rustoleum Gloss Black for the supension. Al you're doing it again..... impressing me greatly.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #32
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

yeppur 'zim.. rustoleum rusty metal primer from H/D 31.00$ a gallon & it goes a looooong way
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #33
DRTSLNGER4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I Love the hell of of it I like the way this build is going!!! keep it up & get it done ( BUT DON'T FORGET TO POST PICS )
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #34
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks fellas!
With 2 boys, Soccer, baseball, cub scouts(and all the coaching/parent duties), House remodeling(wife in charge!), 2 German shepherds, Work, volunteer handyman services for all my Elderly neighbors plus 14.9 KaJillion other projects AND.... the beach just 5 miles down the road :) ...most times 'my' projects just don't make the "this week I'm gonna do" list too often(sometimes for months!). The ragtop is way down at the bottom of that list!

What you can't see(cause I'm really bad about taking pics!) is all the little stuff like completely 'restored' the wiper motor/assembly....it took 'months' of 15 minutes here 30 minutes there...but It's all done and ready to go in. There's a lot of time spent on stuff like sanding the E Brake handle, steering column parts & pedal assembly down to bare metal(& removing decades of Hawaiian rust), prep/prime/paint and re-assemble. Hell, I got 2 hrs. just in the decklid hangers start to finish. I'll not even go into how many hours I have into that decklid!! Thing is, once I finish a component...it's DONE(maybe).

The rear apron cuts/mods are still unfinished....gotta completely go thru/detail the trans, add long axles(1967) and R&R rear brakes...then bolt up my engine. Once the Engine is hung I'll be able to determine exactly where I'll finish trim the rear wheel wells for the exhaust. The wheel wells will wrap into the rear apron and the engine compartment will still be totally sealed like stock...or at least that's the plan...lol.

With the trans all done, I'll finish the front wheel wells to. The front beam will be narrowed but that's waiting on the longer rear axles to be installed so i can determine the "look" I want. Once the beam is done, the headlight mounts will be made permanent, front brakes R&R and the chassis is finished ;-)

And the body...well Rostig, 'lumpy' doesn't even begin to describe this 56 ragtop body but the red oxide does sure hide ALOT!

20+ years ago the highschool kid owner took the car down to the sugar cane mill where his dad worked and they proceeded to sandBLAST the entire car. Keep in mind, the sandblasting unit was designed to remove rust off of heavy equipment...& this ain't no walnut shell blaster!! He warped every panel of the car inside and out! Then off to high school auto shop. Heater channels were cut out and replaced w/68 & later style...but no bracing before hand so body alignment is off! "Dozens" of little areas that got blasted thru were cut out and "patches" were creatively welded in...poorly! Other sections were cut out but never fixed-Much was left unfinished and a coat of gray primer went over "EVERYTHING".. It sat unfinished/uncovered and abandoned for nearly 2 decades in a carport at the sugar cane camp. When the mill closed down and the bulldozers came, the car was spotted and a phone call later the car was drug out & trailered to a fiend's house where is sat another 5 years. All that time, the salt air had surface rusted everything. This car would NEVER be a restoration candidate...way too far gone!

Red Oxide, white walls w/grey center T T D's, white ragtop/seats/door panels...that's the look!

Drtslnger4..... I'm seriously considering adding some grey primer over the red then spraying the whole thing black inside & out. Then color sanding/buffing thru to the red primer on the exterior. Yeah, I know FAKE PATINA...but it would look SOOoooo BADASS! Hawaii Guys like'm all shiney-n-polished...the ratrod fad never caught on here!(cause it's very common to have a rusty POS car!!LOL!) It would BLOW THEIR MINDS!!! Not to mention completely freaking out the PO PO! Still undecided on the patina thing...we'll see....

Tirezan buddy..I know right were Santa's lil gift is going too!

more to come..I promise!

Aloha!
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #35
madmike
Forum Member

Hey Al,sweet ride you got goin on ther,but 81 degrees I wish, try 4 above zero and a foot of snow up hereand it aint winter yet,Madmike
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #36
Boes
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

the same here, but just 2" snow...
I'm lucky i've got a heater in the garage!
Boes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #37
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Aloha everyone!
Last year I made myself a promise....for my 50th Bday I was going to take an ultralight flight and see my Island home form the air. Well in the past few months 2 ultralights and plunged into the ocean...No survivors! 1 just a few weeks ago! So I took that as a sign.....and switched my Bday goal.

New goal, be able to sit in my VR, running and have it move under it's own power for the 1st time. That will be this tuesday........

So late yesterday afternoon, my oldest son Nico(he will be 10 in 11 days) and I peeled off the layers of blue traps and rolled 'Da Buggah' out from under the pole tent, across the backyard & up onto the driveway.

We unloaded the huge stack of boxes full of VR bits-n-pieces I been stashing inside the car. I lifted up the unbolted body & he shoved some blocks under.....and the madness has been officially kicked into high gear!

Got most of the trans ground out for 12v, dropped the front tires, made some measurements and started cutting more of the rear clip AND.....it started raining AGAIN... Rains here most everyday! Got it all wrapped up for the nite.

Woke up this morning...it's raining! Nearly 9am now, no rain drops now but not looking promising....gonna work on it anyway! Nico will be taking pics on/off for the next few days & I post'em in the evenings to keep you all updated.

Wish me luck!

Sure wish I had garage or carport......

Aloha
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #38
Budreaux
Forum Member

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #39
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Glad to see your back at it. With Nico's help you to will have it done before you know it!!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #40
jkien65
Forum Member

I have been feeling the urges to get back on mine too, but I am in the middle of my 56 and my bay window bus. Cant do 3 at once.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #41
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well kids,
Ol' Mother Nature just wouldn't give me a break today. Rained on/off/on/off all freaking day. At least at my house anyway. At noon my boys went down to the beach to swim & body board. When then got back they said it hadn't rained a drop there! Go figure!

I got "some" work done anyway. Sifted thru my boxes, pulled off the traps, finished grinding the bell housing, R&R'ed the throw out bearing shaft assembly & popped on a new bearing. Removed the front end and repainted the Peg Leg extender in between rain showers.

Smashed my left index finder, seated the body back on the pan and started bolting'er down. THAT was a freaking battle! P.O. replaced the heater channels and didn't brace anything before removing the old tin...everything is misaligned!

Had the 1/4, rear and door glass tinted a few weeks back...so I popped in the 1/4's and rear too. Assembled the dash.

All in all....I didn't get much done. Mostly piddling around and nearly none of the shit done on my list for today! I got till 4:30pm on the 19th to meet my deadline. If it rains tomorrow, I'm going surfing!

Or maybe I book that ultralight tour after all....

Aloha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Da buggah 2011 001.jpg (90.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Da buggah 2011 002.jpg (116.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Da buggah 2011 004.jpg (97.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Da buggah 2011 006.jpg (77.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Da buggah 2011 005.jpg (84.5 KB, 6 views)
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #42
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well it's 8:15 am....and RAINING!

Gonna make a run across Island to Home DePOT and hope what the weatherman said is true..."passing light showers". At the moment, he's full of crap...water is shooting 12" past the rain gutter! Look out the window if you wanna get the weather right Jack-wagen!

plan for today tentively... finish down the body to the pan, bolting up extender and front beam(gonna skip making it pretty for now), front brakes, finish trim the front 1/4's, install the frame head brace Doug @ Dbug's Customs made for me, rear brakes, clutch cable, and bleed off the brake system...well, at least that's the plan if it stops raining!!!

Aloha
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #43
Ghia34
Forum Member

If it's not to much trouble can you send some RAIN this way! Sweet Ride!

JR III (a.k.a) WildWoodie
Ghia34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #44
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Rain....you want rain? Ghia34, It's killing me this year! Feels like we live in Seattle!! I can only recall 3 days in a row so far this year, we have 'not' had rain. I'll send all you want Bruddah!LOL!

And more of it yesterday....

I got Dbug's frame head brace and my PegLeg 8" extender installed. Got the front beam stripped down and started prepping for paint. Jumped inside the car(while still tarped up) and hung some "jewelry"...nos SW gauges & housing I've had stashed for a decade or 2.
Incountered the "project stopper"late last night...the pressure plate is the late style that works w/the guide tube...trans is a 61. I will have to order the earlier version pressure plate and it won't be here by 4:30 tomorrow ...so much for my plan!!! After tomorrow, I'll be unable to even touch 'Da Buggah' for 2 weeks minimum....new goal! Christmas!!!

Try again today...if it stops raining!

Aloha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nico's shots 7-11 039.jpg (90.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Nico's shots 7-11 043.jpg (79.2 KB, 6 views)

Tags
hawaii volksrod