- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default accident prone
Re:: it's the rubber-neckers   

Well we are almost settled in Brodhead, WI and I drive the rod to work from time to time (just around the corner). Last week I turned left in front of a big tanker truck, had plenty of room, drove 300 feet and turned into the parking lot. I parked and got out of the car and saw 3 (count them) 3 trucks involved in an accident. Since I do worry about sometimes not paying attention, I wondered if I cut it too close and caused the accident. I went and talked to some of the people who saw it and determined I had nothing to do with it.

This morning, one of my staff came to my office door and said "I heard you caused an accident last week." I was worried until she told me her husband saw it all and said the tanker driver was staring at the volksrod, as he hit another truck, and the truck behind the tanker was staring at my car as he drove into the tanker.

Everyone seems to really like the hapster and it is a great conversaton starter with my parishioners. Well I am not sure what the truck drivers think at this point, and I am not going to look for them-hopefully they were just passing through!

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
DocMike
Forum Member

Default Re: accident prone

Brodhead? I rode through Brodhead last weekend on my Harley. There are some GREAT roads up around there to ride motorcycles on.

I can understand the interest in your v-rod. There sure aren't too many running around the upper Midwest.

Doc
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
TJM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Brodhead? I rode through Brodhead last weekend on my Harley. There are some GREAT roads up around there to ride motorcycles on.

I can understand the interest in your v-rod. There sure aren't too many running around the upper Midwest.

Doc
Where is your Harley dealer located?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Next week, their is a large antique airplane get-to-gether at the grass field airport at Brodhead. Two of my neighbors will be there with their 1929 Pietenpols homebuilt airplanes. I was thinking about flying up with my little VW engine powered single seat Cub, but I'am in the process of putting on a new set of wings that I built with long range fuel tanks, so I don't have to stop and get fuel as often. So maybe next year. Pop
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I sometimes worry about causing an accident from people lookin at my car while driving, I only took it on the highway 1 time and almost caused an accident, it's crazy I tell ya

I don't mind it when I'm not driving it, but some people just don't know what "I gotta go" means

Drive em safely everybody

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

Hap, if it were your fault that they weren't paying attention, then every VW Thing or pair of double D's would be surrounded by crushed cars. Take it as a compliment that people stare...

Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

An (ex) friends sister caused a wreck while walking down the side walk at Myrtle beach years ago. She WAS beautiful with a modeling contract but fell into drugs and looks like a crash herself.
I do get a lot of people riding in my blind spot to get a good look at my car. Sometimes it kinda gets nerve racking when you need to get over but they will not move.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

Doc
You probably rode right by my church, it is on the main drag. I watch my speed, they are on guard in this town!

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Ghia34
Forum Member

Back in the day. Wifey sun bath'in in the yard. Buddie drop's me off from work. He then back'up into a 50year old oak tree. When to seeif he was all right, He said guess you now what i was look'in at LMAO!!!!

JR III (a.k.a) WildWoodie
Ghia34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
trikertroy
Forum Member

Maybe you should rename it to HAP HAZZARD

Driving unique cars around is a heck of a lot of fun.. But the general public can be way stupid and dangerous...

The seem to wander over my way while checking out the rides and takeing pics thru tinted glass with their flash.. I dont mind the rubbernecks too much..but damn,,, lets be safe out there..

Its way past time to ban text, phone and other true distractions while driveing... It seems most people dont have much sense anyway,, I dont want them to kill me..

I have the delusion that If I am one of the smart ones... It doesnt say much for the rest of the monkeys on this planet...
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

The Great Secret of Life:

"You know how dumb the average person is? Statistically, half the people are even dumber than that!"

When my only car was a VW Thing, I got used to people pointing at the car while I drove, and other cars would veer wildly once they noticed it - I never noticed an accident resulting, but I wasn't looking for them. Great car, but it had all the collision safety features you'd expect out of a bicycle.
Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #12
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Been running around our town with Dragon now for 7yrs now. People still rubberneck at it.

Glad you weren't in it Hap,
Stray summed it up pretty well~
"all the collision safety features you'd expect out of a bicycle. "
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #13
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Walking back from lunch at the San Jose Airport with my flight instructor who was an ex-fighter pilot. A pretty young lady was sunning herself in her bikini. She was turning over onto her back and he walked into a light pole. Bloodied his nose and broke his sun glasses...heh heh.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote