metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Controversial subject on oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Low Ha View Post
Ron, google Frantz oil filters....
Aloha
OK I checked it out, learn something new everyday, but they say to use a special type of TP, it was the people that said "hey this looks exactly like TP" that started using plain ole TP to save a few bucks rather than but the filament from Frantz

Quote:
Not just any toilet paper is appropriate for the Frantz Oil Filter. Certainly, do not use the squeezable, soft, and fuzzy paper you enjoy in your moments alone. The best paper to use is that which is wound tightly, has the correct size cardboard tube both diameter and length, and is firm and hard to the squeeze. We recommend the Frantz "Select" filter paper in which every single roll is shrinkwrapped and labeled with a weatherproof sticker for your storage cabinet or toolbox.
Quote:
Now, the Frantz Oil Filter with it's toilet paper element design, filters up through the center at the bottom of the unit but now it delivers the oil down the entire 4" height of the TP roll exiting at the bottom and being recirculated again back to the engine. The oil does not penetrate sideways through the roll as if from inside the cardboard and out the last row of paper. It filters down the entire height of the roll as when it sits on your bathroom sink.
Got all that here
http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

After reading about it it sounds reasonable, I may hafta build 2 engines and try a Frantz Filter and a regular spin on Fram Filter and open them both up after I abuse them for the same amount of miles

Someday I'll get around to it, until then I'll just use the spin on filter adapter I bought for my V-Rod, I just need to put the dadgum thing on first

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #52
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
After reading about it it sounds reasonable, I may hafta build 2 engines and try a Frantz Filter and a regular spin on Fram Filter and open them both up after I abuse them for the same amount of miles

I would run toilet paper before Fram.

They used to make a good product.
Now they are cashing in on their name.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM   #53
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
I would run toilet paper before Fram.

They used to make a good product.
Now they are cashing in on their name.
Damn I just bought a Fram filter for when I eventually drill & tap my case and modify my pump to put the filter adapter on

So who makes the best hi-performance type filters?

I have been using Fram filters for years and never had any trouble with them, but then again those were all on non air-cooled VW's

I was told that if it's gonna blow using this type of filter adapter it will happen when it's cold because it has no pressure relief.

I do have a remote oil filter off an S10 blazer 4.3 V6, it appears to have a pressure relief built in but I'm not positive, hell maybe I'll just run 2 filters

What to do, what to do

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM   #54
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

GM filters(V8) have an internal filter bypass.
Ford style filters do not.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:14 PM   #55
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:

Not entirely true. MOST Ford filters do not have a built in by-pass. However, in the mid to late 90' (97-98???) there were a few F-150's, built with 4.6 "ROMEO" engines, that had a remote oil filter in front of the left front tire. These filters DO have an internal by-pass. IIRC the Motorcraft # is an FM820, but I'm not totally sure on that any more.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:39 AM   #56
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have always ran the Motorcraft FL 1A on my 1904cc. My 2332cc runs a system one oil filter so I can take it apart and see whats going on. I dont even like Fram HP1 filters.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:33 AM   #57
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Well seeing how the 4.3 V6's are just a small block V8 Chevy engine with the 2 back cylinders removed (or maybe it's the front 2 cylinders missing) it's been so long I forget

Anyhow I may just go ahead and use the remote filter from the 4.3 only thing needed are barbed fittings to fit the hoses so I can hook it to the oil pump cover and where I tap the case for a 3/8 pipe fitting, I'll hafta use the original hose mount on the filter adapter because it's just a block with a screw in the center of the hoses and an O-Ring on each hose to seal it
Hell maybe I should just get out my S10 dook and see if tells anything about it

I'll get a pic of it and maybe you tell me if it looks to have a pressure relief valve in it. I should just take the pipe plug out off the top of the filter mount and see if it has springs and washers like most oil relief valves do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
IIRC the Motorcraft # is an FM820, but I'm not totally sure on that any more.
I'll hafta look into that as well

I bought a Fram PH 8A (I think), it is the filter that fits almost all the small block Ford 302 engines (5.0)

Thank ya's

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM   #58
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I bought a Fram PH 8A (I think), it is the filter that fits almost all the small block Ford 302 engines (5.0)

Thank ya's

Ron

The PH 8A is NOT a by-pass filter. This filter that I'm thinking of only came on the 4.6 ROMEO engines. A few other Ford Modular engines (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) used the same filter, that were not a by-pass type. It has to be for an F-150 with the remote filter.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #59
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yeah I asked if it was a bypass filter and was told no, it was not, so I asked what is the best filter to use and was told a Fram. Now if these are not nearly as good as they used to be then what is the best filter to buy with no bypass when pressure is up, like in the winter and the oil is thick at start up, I'd hate to blow the filter canister open and lose all my oil, that shit is getting expensive too

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:28 AM   #60
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ron -- One time a couple winters ago, I started up the 1835 cc VW engine on my little single seat Cub. I hand prop it, starts on the first flip of the prop 95% of the time. While I was standing there letting it warm-up, oil starting coming out from the oil filter gasket, do to the high oil pressure of the cold oil. I bought the adjustable oil pressure piston and spring for the high pressure regulator that is in the flywheel end of the block on the bottom. I set it for a max oil pressure of 53 psi. No more problems.

I know you are talking about cool oil going through the oil filter causing high pressure, but a stuck piston in the pressure regulator can cause the same thing.

Hope I said all of that right. Pop

BTW-- If we get to Columbus, OH. on Aug,13 th, I would like to meet you and see what the old man looks like :)