Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
radiotrib
Forum Member

Default Cut Down Wiper Blades
Re:: For people who run wipers on chops   

I know most of you sunshine people don't need wipers, but out here in Holland right now its the end of July, it's the height of summer, it's the weekend ,... and guess what ...

Yup .. it's pissing down ... so for all you in Washington State and Northern Europe ...

Mini Tutorial ... Chopped Wipers ... or ... How to truncate a modern Aero/Valea type wiper blade for a chopped windscreen ... or How to get real, working, modern windscren wipers for a chopped bug ...

I didn't want to use standard flat wipers because I was expecting that they would not work as well as I wanted them to .. so I decided to try a pair of those new-fangled 'flat-type' "Aero" wipers. I found someone on e-Bay selling aero wipers for classic Mini fittings, so I snagged a pair for 7 quid ...

OK so far ...

BUT ... during my research I discovered these are Valeo blades, not Aero ... the difference is that the Aero has a single spring spine with the wiper pushed through it, the Valeo has two separate spring spines, one either side. This description is for VALEO ... if you get yourself Aero-type it's OK .. there are tutorials on youTube to show you how to take them apart ...

Anyway ... this is what arrived ... loads of bits and a wiper blade ...

I had to pop off the 'hook' adapter and replace it with the mini one ... an easy job. The adapter bits snap on/off like lego pieces

The end caps aren't glued in place, so they just need a little prizing and coaxing, but once they're over the shoulder of the notch (see the photo), they just slide off ...

be careful .. the tabs on the end cap are fairly thin plastic, and like all plastics both near and far ... it will break if it can break ...

Once you've got it off the springs are relatively easy to push apart to release the blade itself

couple of snips with good kitchen scissors and ....

Next job is to mark the length on the spring-steel spines, and whizz them off with a Dremel .. a junior hacksaw will also do the job if you don't have a Dremel.

What I didn't show here is the removal of the springs ... sorry but I only have 2 hands, and its a 2 hand job. You have to get the springs off the little notch in the center boss. I did it by sort of twisting the spring upwards at the blade side ... that rotated it off the pegs and freed it ... I'll try to get a photo of it when I do blade #2 ... (BTW - It pays to be careful ... there's plastic here too :) )

Then, using the cut-off ends as templates, cut new notches and ends with the Dremel. Rat-tail files also work for this ... BUT before you do start cutting ... remember ... the notches for the end-caps go on the same side of the spring as the notches for the center boss (almost an OOPs there !!!! )

Here's the finished set ready for reassembly ... I put one spring and the blade into the center boss, used the same technique to replace the second spring (in reverse) that I used to remove the first spring duroing dismantling ...

.. and finally there ya are ... an 8 inch Aero-type flat wiper blade for my bug chopped windscreen ... Tadaaaaaaaa

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
radiotrib
Forum Member

Default Re: Cut Down Wiper Blades

(Reserved for better photos if I can get some next time around ...)

----------
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #3
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I called the Auto Zone which is within walking distance to me to see if they had wiper blades or refills a few months back, they have nothing shorter than 16 inches. The old wipers that were on my 66 Bug while it sat for the past 14 years are only 10 inches long and about as good as using an oil soaked towel to dry the water off your car after washing it, so....

I had bought a 92 Cadillac Deville which is front wheel drive and uses the same engine and tranny as my 92 Eldorado, I bought it to put the good engine in my Eldorado. One day I got to looking at the wiper blades on the Caddy and they measured 22 inches long and were almost new (looked new to me) so I took them off the Deville and cut one wiper blade in half making two 11 inch blades and put them on my V-Rod, and I have 1 left over for a spare

Since I have put the "good wipers" on the V-Rod it hasn't rained yet while out driving, but when I first started driving it it rained every other day, I wouldn't turn them on because it made it tougher to see out the windshield if I turned them on

Next time I go to the Off Road Center I'm gonna get a set of new wiper blades that fit

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #4
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Cool how to Radio! those will look cool on your project!
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #5
BLKWIDOVW
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

my only concern is the blade lifting up in the middle, i work at oreilly auto parts and day after day i put these damn things on cars for ppl. since the windshield is so flat on a bug, it will rely on the arm to press it to the windshield, so if the arm isnt pressing hard enough, the contor blades will lift in the middle. just my 2 cents
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #6
radiotrib
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWIDOVW View Post
my only concern is the blade lifting up in the middle, i work at oreilly auto parts and day after day i put these damn things on cars for ppl. since the windshield is so flat on a bug, it will rely on the arm to press it to the windshield, so if the arm isnt pressing hard enough, the contor blades will lift in the middle. just my 2 cents
Hey thanks for that ... it never occurred to me ... but the spring in the arm is prety stiff so it should press fairly flat ... if not ... hmmm ... I guess I'll have to buy real genuine vintage flat wipers ...

----------
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have a later model wiper motor in mine with the nuts holding the arms on. I shortened the arms and put a bend in them to set the angle so the blades would sit flat at the bottom of the winshield. I filed the cut off ends to fit 64 and earlier blades that I cut a couple of inches off of each end of the blades. Work great. I have been in some heavy rain storms and I can see great.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote