Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,679
Threads: 31,657
Total Online: 63

Newest Member: aB4dV4hA2s

Latest Threads
- by OKpig
- by JiI

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1
johnintulsa
Forum Member

[attachmentid=4703]Hey guys, my name is John and I am in Tulsa and my '70 is on its way to being my first volksrod. I have had 2 other bugs in the past, a '56 (bought in pieces, sold in pieces) and an injected '76 that was ok. I bought the '70 just over a year ago for $400 and it ran but didn't stop. Got that fixed and drove for a while, then got my tax refund and started gathering parts. I have the lowered beam and some 60's vintage wheels (thanks father-in-law). I have lights ready to go on and now searching for early decklids.
My progress may be a little slow as I have 4 kids under 7 years old and they dont seem near as interested as I am in working on the car. My wife simply tolerates the "bug thing".
I come from a car audio background so my only non-rod item may be a bigass system in the car. I need something to drown out that unbaffled stinger. I have buddies that work for teamgates and they are very extreme (www.teamgates.org) check out the bronco.
I have joined the Tulsa VW club and they are a pretty large group. There was a rod at the their last show but I have not met him.
My '70 still needs a passenger pan and some other repairs, a buddy of mine is painting it as practice before he does his Mini truck (the english one, not a lowered little pickup).
I will post more pics as progress is made and hope to be driveable by end of summer. With you guys helping, I can see that happening.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:07 AM   #2
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Its going slow... the bug is currently parked outside with all her own parts inside her since the garage is overflowing with garage sale crap that probaly wont be gone until spring... we may do some consignment on the clothes to get them out of there.

Met with RayDean and he has a very strong "can-do" attitude and basically re-inspired me to get back to work on the nastybug. His project is well on its way and is looking very cool.

Since the frame head is bent, I am considering cutting it off and simly welding in back on further out. Probaly take the body off and redo the floors and get this project moving.

I am attaching a pic of when the bug was running at the Tulsa show. I took her home and off the trailer and the wiring decided to take a dump so she was parked.
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3
johnintulsa
Forum Member

It looks like I am on an indefinate hold right now. My renter's left our house a shithole, knocked holes in the wall and ruined the carpet and the bathroom. My next several weeks are going to be full. Trying to fix all this and get a new renter too!! Was going to sell it but it needs too much work in just a little time.

More of a rant than an update.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #4
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Default Re: bugnastynastybug

More news on the pics on my avatar. Bugnasty is in Bristow on Raydean's land, I may be able to get back to it one day. If not Raydean can cut it to pieces...

The fenderless car in my avatar gave up its frame and it is in my garage now. Needs a little work but is much better than the one under the white car. That body is a '60 and will be going on the other pan as soon as the pan is ready. We have a vw show here in sept and I hope to have something to show for it.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Got the 66 pan stripped down and ready to put new floors in...

Got the lowered beam and now just need dropped spindles and I can switch the wide five hubs and drums over.

It is just so damn hot out right now and the garage is still full of sale stuff after 3 garage sales. (damn)

We may be moving (long story) but the garage would be bigger and I can keep the donor car in my backyard without the man telling me to move it.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM   #6
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Well it has been a while, the move is complete, we love our new house and it has been painting, landscaping and cleaning....

The pan was dropped off at Bixby Beetles, nice guy - good work! He replaced the passeger side and rewelded the passenger side that had some funky po double metal stuff going on. He undercoated and sprayed it black.

The '60 is at home and the interior is stripped, the lights are all off and I am removing trim now. The body is loose from the original pan now and there is some rust issues in the heater channel, not bad but and not unexpected. There is also a rust hole under the rear window. All the glass is out (except the doors) and the car is really pretty clean.

I am getting my list together for the pan parts I will need and get started on that.

The motor needs a few things but nothing major.

The og paint is a light grey and I am going back that color, but maybe do it in a flat paint. Then I plan to use all the original trim and stuff.

Keeping it simple - stock body, dropped, nice alost every day driver.

the bugnasty ('70) is officially retired and being used for parts at RayDeans house.

I am keeping an eye out for a convertible to cut on for a summertime volksrods. Again - simple - fenderless, beam extender, wide whites, flat black, mexican blanket interior...try to do the back like a heb...maybe

I am gonna get some pics this weekend.

see ya soon!
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM   #7
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Well there is some progress. Eric (gravguy) is an old buddy of mine and happened to be driving through with one of his projects. Eric and I got the pedals, brake lines and several other small items installed and ready. We also got all my parts sorted and the bad stuff ditched and a plan together for the rest of it.

Went to see RayDean, got some pizza and a starter and more inspiration to get this thing done.

Hopefully with our crappy weather now, (40 degree difference from yesterday!) I will get out in the garage and get some stuff done....
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
johnintulsa
Forum Member

It's been a while. I traded the 66 off for a sign making plotter and didn't really miss it. I made some money with the plotter and still do the sign thing as it shows up. We sold our rental property and the week before we close, I see the 66 at a car show! Someone put it all together, left the patina, and installed all the stuff I had for it and finished it nicely. I could not believe it, the timing was awesome. We struck a deal and closed on the house and the next weekend, the bug came back as a running, driving, well done vehicle. I will actually get to drive this one rather than work on it! The kids will have memories of riding in it, not it just sitting in the garage. It is almost like being overhauled except I had to pay for it again.

Old August 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Image0025.jpg
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
johnintulsa
Forum Member

Here are some recent pics of the bug, cruising this summer and hitting the shows!

Image0187.jpg