Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,710
Threads: 31,705
Total Online: 62

Newest Member: Bigbadbilvis

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by DrHax
- by DrHax

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #1
BIGTOFF
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Post Toff's Aussie Volksrod

Hi all

My name is Toff and I am a 23 year old Industrial Designer living in Sydney suburbia. Currently I am in the middle of building a 74' Volksrod and honestly cannot wait to get it on the road (the car's due date being by christmas). Anywaysssss....here is some picture of the current build that started in May 2011.

So pretty much that is how the car has been sitting for quite some time. In between work, girlfriend, family and friends I have worked on little things here and there.

Although during the time I'm not working on the car, I have been stockpiling everything needed to complete the build:

- Drop spindles
- Deitz Headlights
- Triumph indicators
- GT exhaust
- 23' Model A taillights (with the stop script being the best part)
- Reverse lights
- Reverse Warning beeper
- Classic 50/60's stickers
- Horn
- Oldschool boxes with new 6 inch speakers inside
- Army Ammunition centre console
- Whitewall tyres
- Mexican blankets
- Cycle guards

Hopefully this weekend shall see all the lighting and wiring complete as well as all the seating and interior.

So that's about it. I really wanted to start something that I have never seen on the road before in Sydney (probably thanks to the RTA). If anyone knows of any reason for a Volksrod not being allowed on Sydney's roads then please let me know.

It's great to see a place where I can share the love I have for the style and I hope that I can pull this car off.

Thanks volksrods.com

Toff
BIGTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #2
BIGTOFF
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Toff's Aussie Volksrod

So after cruzing around this brilliant website for hours on end, I decided to focus down and get some of the major bits done on the car. I also thought the car deserved some attention as she was probably getting a bit lonely.

Saturday and Sunday has seen the car lowered only 1 spindle in the rear and the usual drop spindles in the front bolted on.

Also used a screwdriver to get rid of the water sucking foam that was causing some ever so small rust on the rear pillar.

I cant believe how easy these cars are, they are so simple to work with and so much fun to play with. I think everyone needs to own an aircooled vee dub at least one time in their life.

Anyways...I also tackled the leaking gas tank by running out to Vintage Vee Dub in Campsie and picking up a used but solid tank. Took it home, cleaned it up and gave it a coat of the standard Bunnings Flat Black (my favorite paint).

Also attempted to bolt up some brackets for the tail lights until my F#*KING cheap chinese shit pop rivet gun decided to stop tightening the rivets. So instead of running up to the local Bunnings I decided to be too angry and take a breather with the brackets.

After that little incident, I cut up some fantastic vinyl that my girlfriends grandfather had lying around and made them into floor mats. If anyone wantd the measurements for these then just yell and ill mock up a dimensioned drawing. It's super tacky but brilliantly purposeful.

It may seem like a pretty simple build but due to budget, the lovely kind and gentle NSW RTA and lack of time I advised against doing major metal work and instead focused on making this beautiful four wheeled beetle into an appropriate Rat Rod. With a major emphasis on the Rat part with as little refinement as possible and simplicity being the key.

Big shout out to

and the amazing people at the

- http://stores.ebay.com.au/VW-Online-Store?_rdc=1 -

who have the best parts and best listings around. About 80% of the car has been built using these guys and about 98% using the online capabilities of eBay

So that's it so far. Until I get a drill bit big enough for the headlight assembly and the rear indicators she will have to sit and wait which is definitely a terrible thing.

Toff

Last edited by BIGTOFF; November 16th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
BIGTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote