Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,633
Threads: 31,716
Total Online: 77

Newest Member: ham

Latest Threads
- by sandman

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
kedge
Forum Member

Default Checking in from the coast of maine

Well, I have been hanging around the site for months now and finally thought I should write something. I have been working on vw's now for quite some time. My dad taught me how to drive in his '60 bus and my first vw was a 64 convertible that I bought with 16K miles for $350 back in 1968. I had been in an accident and needed all 4 fenders, pass door rear deck and top replaced. I worked on that for a year before I actually got my license. From there I had a couple of other bugs, moved onto diesel rabbits in the 80's. Had a diesel bus for a time as well.
Several years ago I bought an 81 diesel caddy that had been sitting in the woods rotting away for 17 years. Paid $300 for it!
Didn't run, had no floors, strut towers mostly gone, etc. Everyne said that no one in their right mind would start a project like that.....but I have now been driving it daily for a year. Runs like a top and about 50 mpg. I figure that I have about 3 grand into it not counting my labor...
2 years ago I picked up a complete but sadly neglected and VERY rusted 66 bug and have been busy with that.
Last summer I rebuilt the pan and all the suspension components. Over the winter I good friend let me use one of his garage bays and I have been working on the rusted body.
I discovered this site and have been so impressed with the work that all of you do I thought that perhaps my next bug I would venture into a roof chop.....then I realized that at my age, there might not be enough time left for another so got out the sawzall and started in.
Been a long winter, but I pretty much have the roof back on and in the next week or so hope to tow it back home to work on this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg choptop2.jpg (125.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg choptop3.jpg (135.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New Pic 15.jpg (182.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg New Picture 1.jpg (75.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg new door 1.jpg (125.7 KB, 2 views)
kedge is offline   Reply With Quote