Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,671
Threads: 31,653
Total Online: 66

Newest Member: bulletbug

Latest Threads
- by DrHax

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #51
howirolla
Forum Member

Default Re: howirolla and the "haterod"

Headlights on tonight.

Brackets on

Lights on

The picture

Last edited by howirolla; March 10th, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
howirolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:19 AM   #52
howirolla
Forum Member

Got about all the wiring done tonight, ran out of a few things so I have just a couple loose ends to tie up, with any luck I may be able to give driving it another try soon!
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #53
howirolla
Forum Member

Finished the wiring, and it took a little messing with far as timing and getting it not flooded, but it runs again! Got too excited and took it for a spin with no brakes, that was interesting! I will get the brakes blead and post a video or something.
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #54
howirolla
Forum Member

Here's a little how to on making your starter work when its going bad.
First hit with something, I used a 3' pry bar cause I can reach the starter from my front seat that way. Then try putting it in gear and rocking it a bit.
http://static.photobucket.com/player...427_195208.mp4

The odd squeal is the crank pully rubbing on a tin piece, that's what I was looking for.
Natasha (wife) came out with maddi (16 month old daughter) and the noise freaked her out thats why natasha wanted me to say sorry lol.

So yea runs and drives, but needs work still. I am hoping I fixed my brake fluid leak tonight, also I can't drive it again now till I have money for tires to go on my smoothies cause I sold the set I had it on.

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #55
howirolla
Forum Member

Took the front end appart to do the link pins a few days ago, and my passenger side drum was grooved all to hell, but since I haven't drove it much the pads looked ok.

So I got some parts today...they sent me the wrong fucking tie rod ends though wwoooo.... so now I get to wait till next week for the correct ones.

But I did get my new master cyl/res which should solve my leak so least there's that...

I think I fixed my brake drum as well, and pressed in my new link pin bushings, since mine looked like this
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #56
howirolla
Forum Member

Sooooo, I started putting the front end back together but then gave up when I found the REAL reason as to why that wheel was so positive camber to the max.

Yea....guess I'm buying spindles, on the bright side though, least that means more low on the easy!

And since that kinda ruined my plans last night I wanted to get SOMETHING done so I half mounted the deck lid, just need to figure out a bottom support/latch hook to hold it down.

It poped out a bit more than I was expecting, but that's fine cause it just means I fer sure have the space to still run it when it comes time for the turbo!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM   #57
howirolla
Forum Member

New master cyl. is in,

and the driver side spindle/brake/tie rod installed. Got to get the passenger side spindle put it all together and bleed brakes again. Rear tires are on the way.
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #58
howirolla
Forum Member

Got the new spindle on (thanks ta Double D) and reemed for the tie rod flip, buttoned up the front end just needs the wheels/tires and aligned.

Also got my dragging clutch issue resolved, it may need a bit more adjustment but I won't know till I can drive it again.

Just need to bleed brakes, wire in the new headlight, do an oil change so I can finish my lower mount for the deck lid idea, and some tires...rears should be here Tuesday. Fronts...well let's just say I hope they can make it in time...
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #59
howirolla
Forum Member

few friends came over and helped with the brakes today so those are set.

also got the head light wired in, and i put my not matching set of wheels/tires on and aligned it up.

then i went ahead and cleaned up the wiring a little bit, not really much, just tapped some things together so it was a bit more consolidated.

just need the rear tires and i can have this week to shake er down before bug run!
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM   #60
howirolla
Forum Member

Got my rear tires today!
Took it for a spin, need to adjust timing, it falls on its face if I don't roll on the gas.
For some reason one headlight isn't working now, and the suspension settled again right back to where it was...

Bubble stretch FTW

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM   #61
howirolla
Forum Member

Lucky day today, my tires came a day early!

And my awesome amount of clearance!
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #62
howirolla
Forum Member

Well after not being able to make it to bug run due to lack of spark randomly, I looked at it last weekend and found it was just my coil fuse had blown, freakin lame! But least it was an easy fix!

So I took it down to the weekly cruz in today, longest drive yet!
Everything went well other than my shifter breaking off! Damnit! O well easy fix.
My buddy sean snapped a few pics

I really need to figure out something with how the rear unloads so much then I back up.
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #63
howirolla
Forum Member

Took it to work today, and then over to my buddys place afterward to fix the shifter, that's done! On the way home two cops saw me driving it, one looked and smiled, the other followed for a few miles and then I turned and he didn't, pretty sweet in my book lol.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #64
howirolla
Forum Member

So after nice 700ish mile round trip shake down drive for billetproof, I only lost a headlight and then broke my nosecone on the way home.

Ended up getting a ratchet strap and tieing it down real good with that and limping it home from portland.

I just wanted to swap my nose cone and change the mount from a solid one to a stock rubber one, my buddy came over to help me and some how we ended up like this

Motor out, trans mounts out, shifter out, tunnel cut out...wtf was I thinking

I'm not too bugged about it cause I am going to change it all so I can make for more trans raise and more low in the back, just a little worried that I started in on it with a week left before my clubs big show...hope I can get it done in time, I'm really tired of missing shit like that haha.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #65
howirolla
Forum Member

so a few days ago my buddy came back over and we made it all happen.

5" trans raise done...ish lol
the mount i made

the new and improved rear mount

taller tunnel

extended clutch cable guide

how the motor sits now, im pretty happy about it

and its lower now!

prolly going to make some z-ed spring plates and will have to notch the body a bit for axle travel, but its ok for now so i can get it down to the car show tomorrow.
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #66
howirolla
Forum Member

some pic.s for fun from the show

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #67
howirolla
Forum Member

ok now back to business.

so somehow my buddy and i didn't realize how not solid the placement of the mount we made was, so at the show it ended up pulling apart what it was mounted to from the pan.

so weeks later i was able to borrow a decent flux core to try and fix things. time, money, a mask that i couldn't see out of almost at all, and laziness were all constraints in this endeavor.

top side turned out ok

bottom side, not so much, the mask holding me back, along with being upside down, and real hard to get at spots made for meh out comes lol

but hey least it'll work...i think haha

now i need to replace a brake hose and bleed em again since it lost all brake pressure.

Last edited by howirolla; August 6th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #68
howirolla
Forum Member

Been spending some time on it of late.
Got the self adjusting clutch cable fixed.

So I started in on getting some travel outta the rear, I figured out my toe issues and got that dialed so no matter if I move forward or backward the cmaber didn't change, so I ended up lowering it more since it still had a hair of positive camber.

So I cut out more of the body for axle travel

Cut out a small part of the spring plate bump stop

And notched my plates more

Which brought me this

More work to be done, woooooo....
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #69
howirolla
Forum Member

Cut out the inner fenders for some tire clearance

Then cut off my shock towers, capped em, and fashioned some light mounts

Much stronger than the last ones, I can stand on them no prob.

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM   #70
howirolla
Forum Member

some quick ones from the cruise my club did a couple weeks back

for more pics of this event hit the link
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...884.1248158678

i seem to have developed some sort of rear brake issue on the cruise. have been real overloaded with school and work issues to be able to figure it out yet though haha.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #71
howirolla
Forum Member

I got down to biz today and cleaned out/up my garage today so I could get the bug back in before winter. Wanted to take it for one last spin before hangin er up but it had zero batt power, look in side and its dry as a bone. :'(

So I guess I have all winter to save some money for a batt and a starter lol

This is the first time in like forever I have been able to do this though

I really wish I could affored another car right now to mob for winter so I could just leave both these things there, but I guess imma have ta bring the golf up a bit soon so I can get outta my driveway.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM   #72
howirolla
Forum Member

Well I finally got some much needed equipment.
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #73
howirolla
Forum Member

Was able to carve out some shop time today! I put some cross bracing on my raised shifter mount, and cut and turned the machete towards the passenger side a bit so that it's not sitting on the steering wheel when I'm in first.

As you can see in first gear I have space for my hand and then a little more.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #74
howirolla
Forum Member

after a move and a mess of a garage i was able to get it cleaned up so some work can get done finally.

its REAL nice finally having a work bench!

got em both in snug as a bug, pun intended.

swapped out the old pile of a starter for this pretty unit, works quite awesome!

also took the breaks apart to figure out why they were givin me such bad vibs. found that the splines in the drums were knife edged and nearly gone. so with that and the passenger side rear cyl leaking out on me i ordered up new drums, pads, and cyl.s.

somehow the trans sprung a leak tween the backing plate and the axle tube after taking the drum off....no idea how the hell that happened, but i am just going to take that as a sign that its broke in now and i should change the fluid.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #75
howirolla
Forum Member

Damn I haven't updated this in what seems like ages.

So I got the rear brakes fixed up.
Then I tryed getting my massive rear toe issue sorted.
Made up some extended spring plates, only to find that one had to be longer than the other. So I had to re-work that idea. Which ment having to get a new set of plates since mine were now in two.

So I get back from my family's way too damn expensive "vacation" and I have one week to have it going for bug run, once again down to the wire like last year and it disappointing me and not being able to go.

So come Thursday I finally find a set of spring plates, problem is I have literally zero cash. So I made a deal with a buddy, if he buys mine and a set for himself too, I would build him a set of drop plates like I was going to do for my car. He said deal and it was on. I made his first cause his car is his daily.

So there's that after the plates, he is near done with his beam now too so it can go more down up front.

This leaves me with one day to get mine done.
Well busy day made for a hard time to get the time to do the shit, but I managed.

So that's what I did there. Put my car as low as it was after going up a click, and I have near no toe as well, so I'm happy about that. Then lucky for me that same friend was still down at his shop when I finished putting the thing back together so I was able to get one more last minute thing done.

Welp, see ya at bug run!

So long as it doesn't rain lol