Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,767
Threads: 31,762
Total Online: 118

Newest Member: Metal Thumper

Latest Threads
- by Rokus

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #1
drummingpariah
Forum Member

Default New in New Hampshire

I'm approved to post!

Tonight I'll take care of payment on a 1968 Baja Beetle that's in fairly rough condition:

Tomorrow I'll toss temp plates on it and grind the dying engine to my buddy's shop to receive a reassembled engine with some new gaskets (not a proper rebuild, just taking known good heads and putting them on a known good 1600dp block).

The problem I often see with Beetles is that they're either too rotted to be worth chopping and making cool, or they're too nice to chop. In this case, the body is already all hacked up for the Baja conversion, but the heater channels and such are still in good condition. Sounds like a perfect candidate for volksrodding, doesn't it? For right now, the plan is to get it running reliably with heat and defrost, and daily it for the winter. Over the winter, I'll plan out what my end goals will be, sketch it together, and in the spring (motorbike season, so cars go back in the garage for summer storage) I'll break out the grinders.
drummingpariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
drummingpariah
Forum Member

Default Re: New in New Hampshire

Purchased today for $650. No brakes, runs like an 80-year-old-smoker (meaning it can't motivate itself to start running, and only runs for a few minutes once it gets started), and almost every weld on it needs to be ground off and redone. I couldn't get temp plates, so I had to register it ($77 for a year and a half isn't bad). If it had brakes I would've limped it over to the shop to receive the new engine. As things stand, I think I'll have to tow dolly it over this weekend. More photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1095594...eat=directlink
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #3
drummingpariah
Forum Member

Default Re: New in New Hampshire

Who accepted delivery today?

THIS GUY.

I've got a busy weekend ahead of me to start daily'ing this on Monday, then I start putting funds together for a proper volksrod build.