Total Online: 60

Newest Member: yuanshana

Latest Threads
- by Chip

Old July 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Caliber32
Forum Member

Default Oh the agony!

I'm trying to unload my 2 cars so I can acquire one car. How is it that people see an add that states "project/parts" cars and expect to drop an engine in and drive it. AHHHHHH!

Sorry had to vent!
Caliber32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
JayinMI
Forum Member

Default Re: Oh the agony!

Are they on CL? I always put in my ads "Price is Firm." And then they ask if I'll take 1/4 of that. Smh.

Jay
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Caliber32
Forum Member

I'm asking $1000 for 2 cars plus some nice parts... I'm not moving on my price.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
valleyvw
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Never had any luck with CL at all. In fact , a few weeks ago, I put Cheryl's Dodge Raider up for sale. Now , here's a vehicle that is a 1989 model, runs,drives,only needs a windshield, and a clutch adjustment. To get rid of it fast I put a price on it. Get an email to call a guy from NJ, so I explained what the condition was,new battery,alternator,recent brake rebuild, of course it has a few minor rust spots on it, frame is excellent.

He is 2 hours from me, I gave him the location, his reply was " I know where you are, no problem i can trailer it home " .

Days go by, guy calls me offers me 40% of the asking price to "do me a favor" . raider still for sale another cl'er was supposed to come yesterday, no show, does not answer calls .

"If you can't run with the BIG DAWGS , STAY ON THE PORCH!"

http://www.skookoutlet.com
valleyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Caliber32
Forum Member

I was offered $500 for the pair.

One offered a "custom MG race car".

Two more are on opposite sides of the state and want to look before they buy.

Meanwhile I've got a guy chomping at the bit waiting for me to pick his car up, but I don't have the money yet.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
jkien65
Forum Member

I hear ya man. I have aproject listed as a "project" for $500. "whats it gonna take to get it running?" blah blah blah. I tell them alot, its a project. Never to hear from them again.
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
alykat
Site Supporter

Over all I have done well with CL. However, with one of my for sale projects even with pictures showing it was mostly a pile of parts, I seemed to get only the "does it run ?" morons. I finally redid the ad to read. " Yes, it is a project.No, it does not run. If you are afraid of hard work, don't call me. If you have to ask permission from your wife or mommy, don't call me. If you don't have enough money, don't call me. If you have never done mechanical or auto body work before, don't call me. If you are just an idiot, don't call me. If you can look at the pictures and see what is there and know what it could be and realize how cheap I'm selling it, call me. " Got two serious calls within an hour of changing the the ad and the second guy drove ove 200 miles the same day to pick it up. Maybe I need to rethink how I do my ad copy.
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
valleyvw
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
Over all I have done well with CL. However, with one of my for sale projects even with pictures showing it was mostly a pile of parts, I seemed to get only the "does it run ?" morons. I finally redid the ad to read. " Yes, it is a project.No, it does not run. If you are afraid of hard work, don't call me. If you have to ask permission from your wife or mommy, don't call me. If you don't have enough money, don't call me. If you have never done mechanical or auto body work before, don't call me. If you are just an idiot, don't call me. If you can look at the pictures and see what is there and know what it could be and realize how cheap I'm selling it, call me. " Got two serious calls within an hour of changing the the ad and the second guy drove ove 200 miles the same day to pick it up. Maybe I need to rethink how I do my ad copy.

You sound like Dan " VWfanatic". bottom line, is " DO NOT WASTE MY TIME" . iN FACT , I think he has a a VR for sale,might be the samba or somewhere!

"If you can't run with the BIG DAWGS , STAY ON THE PORCH!"

http://www.skookoutlet.com
valleyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #9
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've had pretty good luck with CL. Of course there are idiots but you get them no matter where you list.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Caliber32
Forum Member

Do you guys think I'm being unreasonable?

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/3120083724.html
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
JayinMI
Forum Member

Of course they'd both be '67's too! Dammit. I don't have the money, a way to transport them, the time or space to keep them...as is usual when a good deal shows up.

My other 67 (that I ended up cutting up and selling the parts I had gotten for it for next to nothing) was $792 on ebay. I rented a truck, bought a hitch for it, borrowed a trailer and headed down to the southernmost point of Kentucky. I was told "never been wrecked, original paint, my uncle was a mechanic, lawyer will be handling the transfer and will have the title."

It had been PLOWED so bad in the back that it had been rear clipped with an earlier rear end, the engine was a 62, there was original paint (under a VERY bad paint job), lawyer didn't have the title and her uncle had been dead for 10 years.

$1000 for 2 even not-complete cars would have been a better deal.

Jay
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Caliber32
Forum Member

You should come get them!
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #13
Jaison710
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I find a lot of the replies to my CL ads, are dumb replies to get me to respond. I say if the ad is up, its still available for sale, i get asked if its for sale? Or someone supposedly interested in my car replies with " im interested in your car." really? Cause if you were, wouldnt you have a question, or maybe give me a number to call you? I get the same replies, from 2 people, yet the response to my ad was the same word for word. They reply to tease you into replying back. I never post my email, so until I reply to them, they don't have my email, however once I reply, they throw my email into a list, & sell the list to a company that uses it for junk mail & spam.
They never were interested in my product, thats why the never respond back. Once you reply, they have what they want. I forget where I read it, but if you mail them a link, they can legally do the same. Since CL includes your post link in the email, they've got you & can use your email. I've made a seperate email specifically for CL so if it gets bombarded with spam, I don't really care.

Last edited by Jaison710; July 16th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Jaison710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #14
jdinvt
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaison710 View Post
I find a lot of the replies to my CL ads, are dumb replies to get me to respond. I say if the ad is up, its still available for sale, i get asked if its for sale? Or someone supposedly interested in my car replies with " im interested in your car." really? Cause if you were, wouldnt you have a question, or maybe give me a number to call you? I get the same replies, from 2 people, yet the response to my ad was the same word for word. They reply to tease you into replying back. I never post my email, so until I reply to them, they don't have my email, however once I reply, they throw my email into a list, & sell the list to a company that uses it for junk mail & spam.
They never were interested in my product, thats why the never respond back. Once you reply, they have what they want. I forget where I read it, but if you mail them a link, they can legally do the same. Since CL includes your post link in the email, they've got you & can use your email. I've made a seperate email specifically for CL so if it gets bombarded
with spam, I don't really care.
I ALWAYS put in an ad, if interested please put your name and number in the email or I WILL NOT RESPOND BACK, plain and simple.
jdinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Caliber32
Forum Member

Might have to give up at $800...
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #16
ratlook63
Forum Member

Got the same deal with my Caddy right now. If you are going to make a lowball offer on it, at least come and take a look at it 1st.... Then when you get here don't say "well it has some rust and I haven't heard it run.... Will you take half of what you are asking?". That's why I put those details in the add dufus! If it was rust free and I had the time to get it running I would keep it.... Because it would be worth double my asking price....

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
ratlook63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaison710 View Post
They never were interested in my product, thats why the never respond back. Once you reply, they have what they want. I forget where I read it, but if you mail them a link, they can legally do the same. Since CL includes your post link in the email, they've got you & can use your email. I've made a seperate email specifically for CL so if it gets bombarded with spam, I don't really care.
I had to do the same. My main email I've used for over ten years is nearing the end of it's useful life due to the volume of spam that makes it past the filters which sucks.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #18
Caliber32
Forum Member

So I had to lower myself to $600 and the guy is still trying to figure out how to get out of paying me that much.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #19
TequilaSunset
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber32 View Post
So I had to lower myself to $600 and the guy is still trying to figure out how to get out of paying me that much.
Not piling on bro but I had to respond to your posts and others on here. Your latest response in lowering your price is exactly why people do offer less, and don't care what is written in an ad.

Don't low ball me or price is firm means, I can offer less and you will probably take it.

If picture is still up it is still for sale... I have come accross plenty of ads that this is not true, so asking if it is still for sale hurts no one.

One mans project car is one mans very light fixer to get up and running, so everyone's idea of project will have a wide range.

CL is free, free, free... feel free to spend money on an ad elsewhere to sell what many would call junk, if you cannot handle CL flaking its best not to use it.

I had an ad I responded to late night via text and had the seller said I will be here all day, just call me 2 hours in advance. We agreed that night on a time. I called 2 hours before I left the next morning only to be told it will have to be later in the afternoon. It then changed to I will call you that evening... never happened. I also found the seller posting the ad in different areas for diff prices. I have decided not to chase this ride now...

Sellers do lie and are just as bad as buyers on CL... it is what we have to deal with for free to get or move out stuff
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #20
tgoo426193
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSunset View Post
Not piling on bro but I had to respond to your posts and others on here. Your latest response in lowering your price is exactly why people do offer less, and don't care what is written in an ad.
Sellers do lie and are just as bad as buyers on CL... it is what we have to deal with for free to get or move out stuff
Just read this thread from the top and was thinking what you posted the whole way thru. CL is free and I've made a lot of good buys there as well as sold a lot of stuff.

I don't list my email and I disable the contact seller link. Learned that early. To much auto generated spam and to many dreamers sending a reply cause it's so easy.

I put only my phone # there and generally get only serious callers. I guess it's to much trouble to actually make the call if your not serious anyway

Last edited by tgoo426193; July 26th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
tgoo426193 is offline   Reply With Quote