Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #51
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Default Re: The Hummock - '71 Beetle Rod Project

It's a LHD import flat screen, but no idea where it's from. I think Wolfsburg continued until 1980 as I know people with German import 1980 convertibles.
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #52
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
It's a LHD import flat screen, but no idea where it's from. I think Wolfsburg continued until 1980 as I know people with German import 1980 convertibles.
Check by the window. If the vin tag is there its a mexican bug My mum own's a 2001 mexican bug. Its her pride joy... its also the reason why mine is in a snow bank with a tarp over it

I know mexico imported bugs into europe during the 80's. I know vw in the USA pushed super beetles quite hard, so after 1976 no more standards. But i've seen a few bundeswehr bugs from 1977-1978 that are standards with 1300 motors Volkswagens are weeeeird

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #53
Crazy_C
Forum Member

I'll have a check on that on Thursday which is when I'll next be down the garage to work on the bug. It's a mix of the '71 and '79 bugs, as well as a type 2 engine in it and unknown front seats.

The bug will be coming home with me Thursday, even if I have to just bolt the arches on through the drum brake backing plate rather than weld the bolts on like I wanted to do. Might need some longer bolts for that though!
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #54
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Yea, it turns out that shell is a Mexi bug. The "Hecho en Mexico" etched into the windows kinda gave it away as well.

Well the Hummock is now MOT'd and on the road!! Yay!!

First drive back home from my mate's yard, and the bloody thing ran out of electricity, turns out the dynamo was shot, so chucked a new one on there, and it's spot on.

Going to give it it's first proper run tomorrow going to work in it, see how the front fenders hold up, as they're not exactly, erm, sturdy. Chances are quite high that I'll just pull the arches off and go to work archless, and if I get a tug, I'll just say I'd taken them off to do some work and forgot to refit them :P

This is how the Hummock currently sits anyways:

Old February 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #55
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Weather took a turn for the better today so decided to paint the bug. Really pleased with how it turned out.

Also decided to fit my old skull shifter knob as well.

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #56
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Much better with the new paint!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #57
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers, yea, loving it now it's black. My favourite colour
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #58
psychopork
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

love the color man

Still looking for that magical box of grid squares.-TSGT Lacy
psychopork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #59
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers dude.

I've been having plans for the interior too. I was born in '87, so I grew up in the 90's and 00's, and I've always been a mix of grunge, goth and rocker with a bit of punk thrown into the mix as well, and figured I might as well do the Hummock interior in a grunge rock style.

Going to trim the seats in worn black and cream leather (might stick original front seats back in, but undecided at the moment), and once that's all done and sorted, I'll get a couple of friends of mine to have a bit of fun with the interior, but you'll see that as and when it gets done
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #60
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Got the rear arches off at last!! Found an ingenious way of mounting the rear lights - using the bumper support bars sideways! The rear light units I used are motorcycle tail tidies, with both lights acting as tail lights, the inside ones acting as brake lights and the outside ones acting as turn lights (on the brake light wire)

The bumper support bar being used to mount the tail tidy lights

Last edited by Crazy_C; March 29th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Crazy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #61
Paperweightnate
Forum Member

I actually like it a lot with the rear fenders on. It looks sleeker. I would tint the windows and keep the fenders on unless you're going to change the rear tire size and make the rear light mounts look a little more enclosed. either way, great work.
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #62
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Yea, it looked cool with the rear wings on but it just wasn't my style. Fancied something a bit more stripped down.

I will be working on making some rear arches up that will enclose the back of the light units.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #63
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Sorry for the lack of update, but I've been busy.

After a word from a VOSA engineer who was luckily for me, off duty and acting as a customer at my mate's garage, I now have new arches on the bug! For those of you in the states / not in the UK, VOSA are the Vehicle Operations Standards Agency, kinda like the DoT, but a LOT more powerful. These guys, if they don't like your car, can take it off the road instantly and you will probably never see it again, get points on your licence, or even lose your licence as well

I also got bored and fitted a quick system in the back as well. Pair of 12" JL Audio subs and a little JBL amp and it sounds pretty sweet!!

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #64
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
Sorry for the lack of update, but I've been busy.

After a word from a VOSA engineer who was luckily for me, off duty and acting as a customer at my mate's garage, I now have new arches on the bug! For those of you in the states / not in the UK, VOSA are the Vehicle Operations Standards Agency, kinda like the DoT, but a LOT more powerful. These guys, if they don't like your car, can take it off the road instantly and you will probably never see it again, get points on your licence, or even lose your licence as well

I also got bored and fitted a quick system in the back as well. Pair of 12" JL Audio subs and a little JBL amp and it sounds pretty sweet!!

After looking at rear seat I'm starting to wonder if they're custom... or original mexi-bug seats. The mexican beetles had alot of crazy interiors that matched that.. Well by stock i mean modified, Honestly its hard to tell with mexican bugs without seeing the dash. The gauges give it a away to what era they're from... or the vin. Mexi bugs have vins in different places then normal bugs. If you see a vin in a different place then your other bug that tells the body is a mexican bug. Exports to europe were common during the 1980's they actually made versions strictly for europe.

Sorry if i seem like i'm harping on about mexican bugs. My mother owns one... I've had to learn all about them for the car show.. so I can explain to people how a 2001 Aircooled bug exists.

Last edited by DrHax; April 30th, 2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #65
Crazy_C
Forum Member

The seats (front and rear) are both one off customs made at some point in it's history in the UK. The shell is Mexican (says so on the glass!) but it did used to be a show car in the UK in the 90s. The dials and dash is all custom. Smoothed dash with a custom housing for the dials (3x 52mm gauges and speedo)
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #66
Crazy_C
Forum Member

The oil leak in the car was getting ridiculous too, so I bit the bullet, and got a rebuilt engine. 1641cc twin port longblock with an Engle 120 performance cam in it.

How it was delivered:

Couple of hours later:

After building it up to this stage, I then went to change the clutch over, and the old clutch was a 200mm one, and the new engine takes a 215mm clutch, and it was on a bank holiday so everywhere was shut. So whilst I had nothing more I could do at that stage, I grabbed the angle grinder!

Makes engine work so much easier plus takes no time at all to remove the engine now!

Once I got the new 215mm clutch, fitted it all back into the bug, and it wouldn't start. Tried playing around with a few bits, and nothing. Turned out the guy who rebuilt the engine timed the cam in wrong :roll: So back out the engine came, and he collected it, and sorted it and ran it on the bench just to make sure all was spot on. Got a phone call from him telling me it was done, but he wasn't able to deliver, it. Pulled the passenger seat out the Mustang, drove over to Dagenham and picked it up. Turns out that a Beetle turnkey engine fits perfectly in a fox body Mustang passenger seat area! Millimetres to spare!

Got everything all bolted back in again and the Hummock was alive once more!

Yesterday, I thought it was about time to sort out that stupid rusty old exhaust and put something proper on there, so I got a set of Zoomie cannons and J-tubes, cut some more metal out from the rear, and got them fitted in, and damn they sound glorious!!

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:18 PM   #67
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Well I've got some new wheels on the Hummock, and lets just say, they're definitely a bit of me!!!

The fronts are standard 15" x 4.5J, with 165/65/15s on them.
The rears were standard 15" x 4.5J wheels, but banded out to 9.5J, with 255/70/15s on them!!!

Old July 1st, 2014, 04:32 PM   #68
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Nice wheels! Now she really screams VolksRod!
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:56 PM   #69
DrHax
Forum Member

thing screams rat.... I love it

Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:17 AM   #70
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers guys. Yea, definitely pleased with the wheels. The difference they make is amazing. Looks so much better and cruises at 70 so much easier now too so win win!
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #71
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Well I had a day off today, and despite the torrential rain, I decided to build some new rear arches. I won't bore y'all with the pics I took of the process, but here's the final product! Must admit, I'm pretty damn pleased with how it's come out.

Old July 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #72
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Wheels, pipes, and trick looking arches, much better.
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #73
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers man. Yea, the arches were an alcohol fueled concept at 3am whilst outside my house having a smoke. Mocked up a cardboard template and as soon as I did that I knew I had to make it. I was thinking baja rear arches for a while but I definitely prefer these. I'll probably see about making some vertical plates that connect the back edge of the arches to the tail tidys with the rear lights n plates on to give a built in unit look.
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #74
OKpig
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Love the push to be what you see...in the traps of your mind. I have thought like that.... but sometimes I see better in what others do as you have done here. Keep doing your thing..
What wheels you running on rear.... size of tires too?
OKpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #75
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers man, yea, way I've always looked at is that moulds are for those who can't think outside the box. Why I love hot rods, and why I loved the idea of a Volksrod.

The wheels all round are the standard OEM 15" wheels (4 stud), but the rears have been banded by 5" on the outside, so they're now 9.5J, with 255/70/15 tyres on them. Definitely gives a much improved gear ratio, and so much nicer cruising on the motorway with them on the rear now too! I can do 50mph in 3rd quite comfortably, and my fuel consumption is massively improved as well. Plus they look the dog's danglies, so it's win win!