Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #1
alabama madman
Forum Member

Default question about tire sizes
Re:: what size do you use and why?   

I recently got an old project of mine back, its a 66 bug that was wrecked, I started to make a volks rod out of it 5 or 6 years ago, but health problems came up so I sold it, well the guy I sold it to sold it back to me last week, and since I got the old health thing under control me and my sons have stared back on it. My question is about rear tires, I want to run the stock 165/80/15 on the front, but am some what unsure what I need on the back, I want something with some width, but not sure how tall I can get away with. The car is a 1966, 1300 all stock, I will be running dual exhaust, and will maybe update the carb, I know some of the older bug had steeper gears than the newer ones but I'm not sure where the break is. So the question is what size do you run and why? thanks!

We do what we do because of who we are, if we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves!
alabama madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2
alabama madman
Forum Member

Default Re: question about tire sizes

90 folks have looked at this thread, and nobody knows what size tire there running and why their running it?

We do what we do because of who we are, if we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves!
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #3
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama madman View Post
90 folks have looked at this thread, and nobody knows what size tire there running and why their running it?
You are assuming that anyone in that block of 90 members actually have a running volksrod...

When I had my volkstruck, it had Bias ply L78 whitewalls on it with a 40 horse motor in it. Here are the specs on the tire: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/co...FZNffgodn1gAAQ

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #4
alykat
Site Supporter

Many folks run what they do for no specific reason. They may be what they had on hand. They maybe stuff they got for a good deal or someone else gave to them. Maybe they just look good. Mechanical or engineering choices are often the last concern.
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #5
alabama madman
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodheb View Post
You are assuming that anyone in that block of 90 members actually have a running volksrod...

When I had my volkstruck, it had Bias ply L78 whitewalls on it with a 40 horse motor in it. Here are the specs on the tire: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/co...FZNffgodn1gAAQ
Well yeah I guess I am assuming that, LOL. let me ask you the L78 says 29 inches tall, how did it drive, I want to go with a taller tire (than stock) but don't want to kill the gearing completely. If I'm not mistaken my motor is rated 50 hp, 1966 1300 SP.

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #6
hotrodheb

It ran great around town and on the freeway although my underpowered motor would only get it to 65. I believe it had a 1967 gearbox, and the car never felt like it was fighting against the size of the tires.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I am running 195 70 14's on the front and 295 50 15's on the rear. 14x6 front and 15 x 8 rear on Appliance A/P wheels. The trans is a stock 67 swingaxle. I like a little taller and fatter rear tire.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #8
volkswagnut
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

225/70/15 15x7 rehooped 1966 wheels on the rear.
155/60/15 15x4 1966 wheels on the front..

Had the wheels.. made the tire sizes work...
Next go round on rears will prob be 225 or 235/75/15...
Op. X... needs a smidge more gear..

Last edited by volkswagnut; July 18th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
volkswagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just touching on a side note here. I have a forum of my own and at any given time I may have 40 or 50 visitors that are not real people. The different search engines,Google, Bing, NSA and other large orginazations have bots that go through all the information and copy everything said on these forums. They do this a bunch of times a day. So when you see 60 views a very large percentage of those views are Bull Shit views that human eyes never saw! Lot more views are from non members "LURKERS"... They extract your information and give nothing back. Not even a key stroke! So realistically you can look at the dozen or so regular posters and if they dont have the answer... Well dont get bummed out. They may have not checked in yet today. LOL

If your a "lurker" grow a pair and post up what your up to on your ride! Everone starts somewhere so get involved in the site, it is well worth the effort to keep good things alive and going. Drop the mouse for a second, dust off the keyboard, and use it. Help someone out here... PAALLEEZZ

OK, back on topic!

"It
has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

- Henry Ford-

Last edited by Metal Twister; July 18th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
Metal Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #10
alabama madman
Forum Member

Well I decided to go with a 275/60/15, right at 11 inches wide and 28 inch diameter, I thought about doing the wheel adapter thing with a set of chevy wheels I have in the barn, but right now I found a set of 15x8 dune buggy wheels for the rear and gonna use stock VW on the front, I'm sure this all might change once I get things finished and driving. the motor I'm running is a fresh 50hp 1300 SP, we will see how it pushes things around.

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #11
OKpig
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I currently have the same size (that you have) Tires on a VW trike. stock 1600 header with electronic MOD to Distributor 009 type. With a stock Swing axle from 65 Bug I can run out to 90 mph no issues. cruises easy at 65-70 all day. BIG hills will pull down. But you should be okay. Be careful on lugging the top two gears as this will overheat the motor. I have run taller tires 235-75-15 on 8 inch wheels and if you live and drive on flatland roads you will be okay but will have to shift to third on hills.
Hope this helps....... vet to vet and VW love to all........... PIG
OKpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #12
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

My V-Rod being as low budgeted as it is, I run whatever I can get my hands on that have at least 12 the tread left

At the moment I have 205/70/14's on the front with Olds steel ralley wheels, I run 235/75/15's on matching Olds wheels, I use adapters, one day I hope to buy blank rotors so I can drill them to fit the Olds wheels

The front tires are with in 1/2 inch of the stock VW tire so my speedo is correct, the rear tires are 28 inches tall, my very 1st VW I put a set of old Jeep tires on it, they were 30" tall by 10" wide by 15"
I put them on stock $-1/2" wide VW wheels & drove the hell out of it for a while, they went on easy, getting them off was a bit tougher, but that's me changing tires manually, which I still do except when buying "new" tires

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #13
alabama madman
Forum Member

OKpig, thats good to hear, I like the look of the bigger tires, but was worried about just how there gonna perform!

Old July 20th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I was looking through the tech bin the otherday and ran across this. Its not exactly what you were asking about but think it could be a bug help.

http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31099

"It
has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

- Henry Ford-
Metal Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mine is not a volksrod so I tend to keep the tire sizing close to stock to fit under the fenders. That may also be why not many have chimed in....

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:00 PM   #16
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

235 75 r15 in the back, swing axle trans sitting on a 4" trans lift. Fills the wheel well up nicely. I got lucky, its just what I had. Up front is something else...ide have to go look.
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Box View Post
Mine is not a volksrod so I tend to keep the tire sizing close to stock to fit under the fenders. That may also be why not many have chimed in....
Didn't think about full fendered bugs. I run 135 15's on the front and 225 60 15's on the rear of my 65 bug on 5 1/2 wide 5 spoke Empi style (American Eagle)wheels. Kind of the Cal-look style. Been running that setup for 20+ years on it.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:39 AM   #18
alabama madman
Forum Member

Yeah, I;m currently trying to figure out what tire to run on my squareback as well, currently it gots 195/70/14 all the way around, but I have a set of 8 spoke empis I want to put on it and there 15's so I'm still not sure what I want to run on it.