Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 20th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #1
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Maybe mid-engine ghia

Been thinking on how I want to repower the 71 ghia we have. She is far from pristine so I could care less about fixing it back to stock. But I keep going back to transverse mounting a tdi in the back. With some mods you can get good power and awesome mpg out of it, especially in a light ghia. I have to fix the pans and heater channels anyways. I was planning on using tube for the outer perimeter of the frame, which also will let me drop the floor down alittle bit more so my head isn't so close to the roof. Thinking if you cut off the irs, so the pan is flush at the back, and weld on some 2x4 tubing in its place it give a good place to weld on rails (2x3) for the motor and trans. Some 1x1 for cross support for the seats. I'd want to use the stock subframe so I can just bolt it/out the whole assembly. Use the hubs and all, just use a piece of tubing with heim joints to keep the wheels straight. If I go this route I'd buy a donor car, also probably take the seats, steering column, and other pieces the price of tdi cars are very reasonable if you aren't in a rush to buy one. So a couple locally that are under 1500 and run. Going have to be alittle bit before I have the money to buy the donor with the house remodeling we are doing. Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking. I don't have the frame dimensions for a mk4 VW so the rails may be the wrong angles but it gets the point across, and I used ms paint and I suck at drawing.

Last edited by 69satellite; January 20th, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
69satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:30 AM   #2
hotrodheb

Default Re: Maybe mid-engine ghia

One thing to check is the track width as Ghia's don't usually have a ton of room in the rear wheel wells.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:14 AM   #3
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

if you run short axles, you can get a 205/70/15 under the car. i know... i'm running a midengine type 3 with track issues as well.
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:52 PM   #4
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo3 View Post
if you run short axles, you can get a 205/70/15 under the car. i know... i'm running a midengine type 3 with track issues as well.
I looked up the width on an mk4 jetta and its about 4in wider than the ghia. So about a 2in flare on the rear qtrs would take care of that. Also figured the wheel wells and most the metal in the engine bay would have to be cut out and redone once the drivetrain is in place. I see this working, fine in my head but then again I have been known to be wrong before.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:26 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Never being wrong just means you've never tried. Measure a lot and make lots of cardboard templates. Sounds like a cool project.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:43 PM   #6
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Never being wrong just means you've never tried. Measure a lot and make lots of cardboard templates. Sounds like a cool project.

Guess I must have tried alot over the years, lol. Anyone have dimensions on the tdi? I've been looking all over for the physical dimensions of the engine and can't find them anywhere. Only issue I see could be the height.
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:37 PM   #7
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Check out the build by VR6 Notchback for info

http://volksrods.com/forum/showthrea...=VR6+notchback
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:09 AM   #8
mkparker
Forum Member

If you're not stuck on the "all VW" part of the plan, a mid mounted Subie would seem to be a great choice. Not sure how that would compare in the track width area, but it would be a nice package.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM   #9
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
If you're not stuck on the "all VW" part of the plan, a mid mounted Subie would seem to be a great choice. Not sure how that would compare in the track width area, but it would be a nice package.
I actually have a ej22 sitting on the ground in the garage. I was originally planning on just using an adapter and use the ej22. But I really want to go tdi for the mpg and power they make. Tdi cars have come down alot in price these days compared to what they use to run for a used one.

Thanks for the link to the vr6notch. Simllilar to what I'm thinking on doing for the frame, except I don't want a cage.

And I just came across a guy over on shoptalk that did a vr6 in a ghia, so nice to see it will work like I was thinking.

Last edited by 69satellite; January 22nd, 2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 02:42 PM   #10
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

http://s847.photobucket.com/user/Ghi...tml?sort=6&o=0
Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:37 PM   #11
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I could design an a-arm setup for the rear pretty easily, especially if you were going stock VW tranny. If you ran a Subie engine/ trans combo and locked out the AWD end; as long as I had a few specific dimensions, I could draft something up.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:11 PM   #12
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
I could design an a-arm setup for the rear pretty easily, especially if you were going stock VW tranny. If you ran a Subie engine/ trans combo and locked out the AWD end; as long as I had a few specific dimensions, I could draft something up.
Jeff
Thanks for the offer. But I think I want to go transverse tdi. Wish I had some spare money right now because I saw a couple good deal on tdi cars but all the money is going into the house right now.
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #13
69satellite
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got to think on this. Ej22 would give alot more room to work on than the transverse setup for sure. Here's pics of the vr6 in a ghia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6719_zpscdd136b9.jpg (36.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7660_zps66daf1f1.jpg (44.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7655_zps47cf8d64.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)
Old January 27th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #14
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

But if you kept the VIN plate and back of the pans where they are, the engine and trans will get pushed back and your CV joints may be taxed a bit.
Jeff
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #15
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Back when I designed fire engines and space and angles were tight for the pumps, an engineer from Spicer told me that 11degrees was the max for u-joint and CV joints. This would be at the maximum deflection with, in your case the suspensions ups and downs, not static.
When I ran a '65 Corvair powertrain and full IRS in the Single Cab, I'd used ten degrees static (the SC at rest). With the suspension changes and daily driving I went through U-joints about every 500 miles. I'd hear a "clicking ' sound from the back end and they would be going...I used the SC as a truck and had the back end up for clearance. At the time I wanted her to sit high and level.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #16
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You can go up to 28* with race prepped 930s but not as a constant. I have my 930s running at 11-16* for my designs.
Jeff