Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 5th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Question for daily drivers
Re:: I'm back.. Hey stop running.   

Hello I am back! Life took a turn for the better/worse depending on how you look at things. I got some shit together, yet at the same time it seems I've hit a hurdle.

We'll I've finally got my license in October. Just took for bleeding ever. But after driving to work in my saturn sc2 and noticing its transmission is starting to go (Reverse slam) and How empty I feel inside driving the barbie car. I've began to look at getting an older car for a daily.. since I learned that no matter what I drive insurance is going to kick me in the nuts relentlessly until I declare uncle so I might as well limp into something that makes me happy.

At first I was eyeballing a 1949 Pontiac Silverstreak, but a little voice in my head kept on nagging me.. and nagging me about the Bug parts I have accumulated like a disease.. well turns out finding brake pads for a 1949 pontiac is harder then hell. So instead I am entertaining the thoughts of getting a 1960 baja for a daily (Just needs a motor... I have a motor ready to go!)

The reason why I am asking you guys questions is because you lot drive you shit. You also break your shit and then fix it and then have something else break. So the main question is:

What parts go to hell first?

Because unlike most modern cars(I've seen at work the horrors of people not servicing their shit.).. you gotta service a bug. And I am A-OKAY with this (once again work.).. the issue is I don't know exactly what parts go on a bug. Or what I should inspect, expect to explode, or stock up on. I know parts are relatively cheap..mechanical wise and everything is easy to get. (How I managed to get a trove of parts with a minimal wage job.)

Also a quick question for you guys in Canada. How does that Krown stuff work on protecting from rust? Because I've seen wonder stories on the internet, I am wondering if it'd be worth buying a couple of cans and going NUTS on the underside of the chassis.

People say you can't drive a bug daily. I know for a fact that's BS. They also claim used Nissans and Toyotas are better for daily drivers. I can tell you from where I work how many roll in A old bug is probably safer then a rusted out Camry or Corolla. Nothing says "Safety" like having to use a car jack because if you lift a vehicle it will snap clean in half....

I also do want to gather up the tools to build an engine properly, because if i do get this baja. Yupe I'm gonna be bringing home more parts.. My parents are going to loooooove me.

Oh yeah and heat is going to be something i need to figure out if I ever want to get my fiance into the passenger seat. She don't care what I drive as long as it has heat. A thing that's tricky with a bug. I'm thinking maybe heated seats and a few tricks. I may just bypass the heater channels and run a pipe directly under the rear seat.. So that way heat isn't going through the questionable system that may be roached. I am brain storming ideas because I really want to drive a bug.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #2
nshaddox
Forum Member

Default Re: Question for daily drivers

When I used to daily my chop top i'd have to rebuild the carb in parking lots frequently because I kept having little jellies form in the float bowl and clog up the idle jet. Then I figured out that a wd40 straw fits the jet perfectly which turned it into a 2min job. No idea why it kept happening though.

Also had a clutch cable go out and a fuel pump. Oh and my throw out bearing grenaded once too. Other than that just typical vw grounding issues for headlights and tail lights. And oil leaks. Was a junkyard 1600 though so didn't have many expectations for it.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #3
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

^^There you go. Keep the clutch cable and pivot points lubed. Though I'm running a Ford V8, I'm using a beefed up VW clutch pivot (where the cable connects up front at the pedal) and modified VW clutch cable (goes to a bell crank to pull the Ford throw out arm in the correct direction). Keep the valves adjusted! Change your oil every 2000 miles and clean the filter screen. I run a pair of clear large O.D. fuel filters close to the carb where I can spot water or other interesting stuff gathering in the lower part of the filter. I also use a Lucas Ethanol treatment as Ethanol loves to bring water into your system, which will collect in your tank...etc.
For heat, your on your own. In my Corvair powered Baja, I ran tubes from the Corvair heater boxes at the engine up to the VW tubes.
When the SC had her 36hp, the stock system worked fine. Having the doors and read interior panels packed with insulation really helped. When the Corvair went in I did the same thing I'd done with the Baja, as I drive what I build year around. With the V8, she sports an under seat mounted heater with two speed fan from a '69 Mini Cooper (here, having a warm water source really helps). This hooks into the VW tube feeding the heat opening in the cab and the defrosters.
As I have picked up upholstery kits for the Singe Cab interior, I plan on installing seat heaters.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #4
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

I drive my '60 Ghia 46 miles every day and have been for 6 years. My daughter drives her '71 Super 44 miles every day. Before that I drove my '62 Baja every day. They absolutely can be driven every day. (almost)

I say almost because occasionally something will happen (you should plan on it anyway) that takes longer than a couple hours to fix.

For the most part though - you can drive it every day and should be able to see/hear/feel issues that are starting and can deal with them BEFORE they deadline your car.

I would agree with the above and add a few things.

1. Check your oil level before EVERY drive.
2. Check your fuel filter at EVERY fill up. (once a week)
3. Install good air cleaners (I use K&N and clean them every couple of months)
4. Change your oil every 2,000 miles and check/adjust your valves at that time.
5. Check your lights, brake lights, turn signals every week.

Things to keep in your bug:

1. Spare accelerator cable
2. Spare bulbs
3. Spare fuses
4. Small tool set
5. Extra wire with a few connectors
6. Couple quarts of oil
7. Jack and spare tire
8. Spare coil
9. Helicoil for spark plug
10. Spare fan belt

Things to look for/repair after buying a bug that is "new to you." (Cuz the PO may not be a liar - but he also may not have a good memory)

1. Wheel bearings
2. Swing axle - outer seals/inner boots and transmission fluid (gear oil)
3. IRS - grease CV joints and replace boots
4. ALL wiring - follow each wire and check connections/grounds and that it has a purpose and is wired correctly.

*did I ever tell you about the guy that had his stereo wired from his coil - so that the louder the stereo was, the slower his car was? And that it caught on fire?

5. Make sure you have an oil pressure sending unit/idiot light or gauge and that they work.
6. Replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

I am sure that there are a few things that I am forgetting - but if you are doing all the above - any other issues that your car has should be visible and you can fix as needed. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

A couple of extra show laces to use as an emergency throttle cable should be on the list as well.
Daddy o's 67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #6
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

What they all said !!!
Last year between October & April I was driving my VolksRod 130+ miles 5 days a week, then 100 miles most Saturday & every once in a while on Sundays
Definitely adjust your valves, I checked & adjusted my valves every 3000 miles as well as changed the oil
Also keep an extra, or 2 accelerater cables & clutch cable

One thing I suggest is to practice driving without using your clutch pedal, as if you have a broken cable, any standard shift car with a synconized transmission will do this, the only thing to learn is that at red lights you hafta turn the ignition off, put it in 1st gear, when the light turns green, start the car in gear & shift into 2nd, 3rd, & 4th by listening to engine speed & how fast your going, just a few months ago my clutch cable broke & I had to drive home that way in rush hour traffic, just make sure you practice because it would suck to end up in that situation & hafta learn without any practice
Some times I do this except for at traffic lights just to make sure I can do it, plus friends who have never seen such a thing freak out

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; January 11th, 2016 at 08:01 AM.
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #7
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

No more than they cost... Buy a 009 distributor and set it up in the car to *get it to run* in case of distributor failure... You can set one up with a spare Mounting clamp so all you have to do is drop it in on the side of the road... Already timed for your engine as well. Most all of the items you see everyone posting, are easily stored in the vehicle, without losing any passenger room. I always carried (and will again one day) a Floor jack that was at least some degree better than the Bilstein Jacks. Sometimes 2. And always a couple of Blocks of wood, and a lot of these things fit in a standard Milk Crate, behind the Back seat. The Milk Crate doubles as a place to sit while working if needed.
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #8
mikec4193
Forum Member

Hey DrHax

I see you are from the snow belt living in Minnesota. I would be worried most about road salt and the effects of that on vintage VW sheetmetal. 30 or 40 years ago when there were 10X the number on the roadways running 365 days a year through the snow and salt...that was ok then...not now tho..

I would maybe run it spring summer and fall only...don't try to run it out in the salt laden roads...get a newer but used version of the VW beetle.

My 2 cents...

MikeC
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #9
nshaddox
Forum Member

Oh yea. Also spare fan belt and points. I've had issues with both of those too.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #10
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

I do the same thing as Scott - keep alot of the extra stuff in a milk crate.

I forgot one thing. Rain-X. Wipers don't always work that well - and in my ghia I don't have wipers at all. Rain-X works so well that I prefer it to wipers - and in my cars that have wipers - it helps alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #11
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I have a petronix ignitor instead of points in my distributor, I also keep an extra distributor with points ready to install if the pointless ignitor goes out, much easier than changing over to points on the side of the road, the main reason is I bought the petronix back in 1986 for $40 something dollars, it sat from 1997 till 2011 when I started driving my VolksRod, I'm always afraid a big bump in the road is gonna break it

Now about heat, save your money & try to find a gasoline heater that works & you witness it working, I don't know if there is a company that sells them new, but I would like to buy one that is new rather than a used one that has issues, I just don't have the money yet & may never have the money
Heated seats are nice, but, they have their faults, your butt & back start sweating, then you get out in the freezing weather & your ass & back freeze, trust me on this, I had heated seats, I took them out mainly because they were looking like shit, they need to be recovered, again my advice is to get a gasoline heater, or, make sure you heater channels are in fantastic shape, make sure all the heating equipment is hooked up correctly & the heat will work even in the rust belt, just always check it out, make sure it doesn't start to rust, if it does take the necessary steps to keep it from rusting, I road in a friends Bug that been completely restored, it was below 20 degrees & the heat worked fantastic, the defrost melted the ice off the outside of the windshield in a hurry, you don't hafta wait for the engine to warm up because the exhaust is hot the moment you start the car

My first post was my 1st 2 cents, this now makes it a nickles worth
If I think of anything else I'll be sure n put it down, it's reading other's comments that get the gears in my head turning, but at the moment I have a lot of different gears turning in different directions

My last words are, don't believe anyone who says you can't drive an old AC VW daily, that's just because now days cars don't need to have the valves adjusted, they are fuel injected, you just turn the key, the car starts & your on your way, oh yeah, ya gotta check the oil

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #12
FBB
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
One thing I suggest is to practice driving without using your clutch pedal, as if you have a broken cable, any standard shift car with a syncopated transmission will do this,
Ron

Good advice whatever you're driving. Automatics are the exception rather than the rule in the UK and I've had clutch cables go on a number of cars over the years. I also had a heater matrix burst on a two year old van many years ago which dumped boiling water all over the clutch pedal area. I completed a 250 mile multi-drop day barely touching the clutch!
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #13
rodderdan
Forum Member

Don't forget a flashlight and extra batterys.You can't fix shit if you cant see it.
rodderdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #14
DrHax
Forum Member

Thanks guys. This is why I come to you lot rather then the samba whose first reaction is to say how the car will kill me instantly and cause every god in every religion to smite me since I live in the salt belt. Turns out the baja has rusty pans and cancer in the rear.. and a broken window side window and a 1970's sun roof which is missing glass. I may be better off just fixing up the 1968. I just need to find a better way to trim out some sheet metal.

I've been gathering up a list of supplies, or what to look for. A gas heater is something I WISH the god damn 1966 came with (PO cut the damn thing out and I did not get it.)

I just wish it wasn't negative 2 out there today otherwise I may consider seeing about what I could do.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I drive my Super every day rain or shine.
I carry first and foremost a charged phone and paid up to date roadside assistance.
Those are the best things to carry in this day and age for those times when working on the side of a busy highway is not a good idea.

Other than that I have a spare belt, some oil, used but operable condition cap, rotor, and points.

A tool box with the standard tools that fix 95% of the things on your car, mine is an old metal fishing tackle box.

Also in this box is an assortment of items that could be a problem, like the other day when it crapped out on me as I was on the interstate. I fixed my car with a piece of rubber fuel line that is about 15" long and sits in the bottom of the box. Something blocked the flow of fuel somewhere before the pump. I pulled the line from the pump and installed this long one so that I could blow backwards into the tank, clearing the issue. Then when fuel came out, I put it on the pump with a spare hose clamp and was on my way in 10 minutes.

I am a derelict with my valves.
I put the engine in 3 years ago and drive it 25 miles a day everyday.
I just a couple of months ago adjusted them.
They were pretty close to were I had them when I installed it.

Oh and a good spare tire.
It does you no good to carry a flat spare.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #16
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Oh and carry a spare clutch and throttle cable.

I upgraded my throttle to the HD Bugpack one.
Much better.
It is actually flexible braided cable and holds up very well.
You have to figure out how to bolt it to the pedal, but that is pretty simple to do.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote