- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #1
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default It's been 10 years Today!!!

It's been 10 years since my Pancreas transplant

Well y'all, today I'll be celebrating, I celebrate it (as well as every year on this day) in honor of my Pancreas donor's family & their decision & loss of a son at the age of 17, for without their decision, I would not be here today!!

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: It's been 10 years Today!!!

Congratulations!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #3
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

: thumbsup:

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #4
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

An Anniversary worth Celebrating!... Glad it's done this well. Hope it continues to function for you!
Old April 19th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #5
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

How long until the brain transplant?

Try to stay healthy ya damn bastard!

Jeff

P.S.
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #6
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Congrats Ron!

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

I'm happy for you.... 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Rattakus
Forum Member

Way to go. That's a hard thing to approach a family about. I used to be a donor requestor at our hospital and later my wife worked for donate life California. It always makes me happy to see a success story.

Romper Stomper - 1992
Rattakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Bugula
Forum Member

That's awesome!
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #10
ChrisMac
Forum Member

10 years? VERY cool indeed
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #11
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya's all
I only wish I could thank my donor's family by phone or in person, I wrote them a Thank You letter before I was released from the hospital after that transplant, I don't even know if they read it, they chose not to contact me, I can understand, it has to be tough, that's why I celebrate that day each year

This past January 2nd was 15 years since my mom gave me one of her kidneys, it's still doing fine, altho I've had a rough few months lately, my kidney Doc retired after 14 years, I'm having trouble with my new Doc, he wants to go by the numbers when it comes to my blood pressure, last December he changed my B/P meds, got it to the numbers he likes, I haven't been able to keep my eyes open unless I'm busy doing something, just eating lunch & dinner is tough, I have fallen asleep several times with my face in my food
Then last Wednesday April 20th my wife took me to the ER, my B/P was 90/41 I couldn't even put my shoes on without dozing off, but after that he finally decided to listen to me, I'm not like everyone, I'd been telling him that since the 1st time he changed my B/P meds, my original Doc let me keep it on the high side like 150/88 - 90, told me I'm not like 90% of his other patients, he listened to me, I function better when it's there, so as of this past Monday he made some changes, my B/P has been around 145/88, I can keep my eyes open & not have my wife wake me up to get my face out of my dinner

It's been crazy, haven't been able to run any of my machines in fear of falling head first into the lathes chuck of an end mill on my milling machine, then 2 weeks ago from yesterday I decided to take the lowered beam off my Volksrod & put an original beam back on, I got tired of dragging dead opossums and/or raccoon (or whatever road kill it was) for a few miles, usually it lets go after a few hundred yards, but I had one critter hang on until I thought it was gone, but there was a small piece still hanging on after 10 miles, anyway back to the beam, I just finished it up yesterday, I would find myself taking long blinks when working on it, some would last for 5 minutes, a few times they lasted 30 minutes or longer, I was afraid to drive in fear I'd fall asleep at a red light or worse fall asleep while driving, since Monday I have been better, so yesterday I drove to get my monthly shot, it's a 16 mile round trip, I had no trouble at all, I can even watch a 2-1/2 hour movie with out missing any of it

Jeff, about the brain transplant, ya know that may not be that far off (still undecided about what kind of brain I want, I'm sure you've heard the joke about the Lawyer's brain, the Doctor's brain & the Kentucky'ns brain & why the price was so much different, the Kentucky'ns brain being more expensive because it's unused, I'll prolly catch hell about that, so if'n your from Kentucky please take no offense to it), the 5 years between my kidney & pancreas transplants I had major problems keeping my blood sugar under any control, it would get so low my wife would find me in a hypoglycemics comas, my Doc told me each time my blood sugar got that low it was doing brain damage, I've been checked a few times, they say my brain is doing fine, altho I do have memory problems, if I don't make a list when going to the store to get 4 things I'll forget at least 1 of them, sometime 2, the 2 thing I can remember really good are machining & VW's, I'm slowly forgetting all the yearly changes, I could look at a Bug & tell you what year it was, only thing I can tell now is the older Bugs, like the ones with different tail lights & stuff like that, I can at least tell what year it is with in a year or 2, I've been making notes about machining just in case a day comes & I forget how to chase threads, I just need to put the note books at the machines so I don't forget where they are

I still joke around about it as much as possible, so please don't stop, I enjoy a good laugh even if it at my own expense, my wife sure doesn't let those opportunities pass

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #12
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Hey, Jeff just put the brain transplant bit out there because of his own surgery last summer. I suppose you're heard of a pig or bovine valve transplant for the heart? Well, Jeff had a new experimental 'Chimpanzee Brain Transplant. Or a "CBT" in medical parlance. Very few of these have been done and Jeff's was the first. On his recommendation, I was number three...sigh. So, I'd be wary of any advice he gives you as he didn't warn me about certain cravings. Although the little local market is making a fortune providing me with bananas....
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:20 PM   #13
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Hey, Jeff just put the brain transplant bit out there because of his own surgery last summer. I suppose you're heard of a pig or bovine valve transplant for the heart? Well, Jeff had a new experimental 'Chimpanzee Brain Transplant. Or a "CBT" in medical parlance. Very few of these have been done and Jeff's was the first. On his recommendation, I was number three...sigh. So, I'd be wary of any advice he gives you as he didn't warn me about certain cravings. Although the little local market is making a fortune providing me with bananas....

You know what the funniest part about that is ?? "Cell Memory !!!" Scientist say it's BS be cause most meet their donor's family, that may be true for those who do meet their donors family & learn about their donor (or the donor Chimpanzee's family)
All I know about my donor is age & gender, my wife swears all kinds of things have changed about me, she says every once in a while she'll get a glimpse of the "old Ron", it was tough to see much of a change after I got my mom's kidney, but I did experienced "Hot Flashes" when my mom when thru that time in her life, I called & asked her after a few times when I felt like I stepped into a car with the windows rolled up on a hot sunny 98 degree summer day, sure enough she confirmed it was her time, I hafta say I feel for women when it comes to those "hot flashes," They Suck

I think I'm gonna start saving my nickles, dimes, quarters & pennies, that way if I need another kidney or any other organ, I can have it cloned from my body, then I wouldn't hafta take all the dadgum poison to keep my body from rejecting it, even a brain
I swear those meds are messing with my brain, altho it was a bit messed up to begin with, I surely don't need any more help, a fresh "new brain could help unless it has to relearn everything, then I'd be screwed

Either way, no matter what happens, I'm just glad I got the last 15 years I did have, last Monday when I was at the doc's office we, Trina (my wife) & I ran into a woman she worked with who had a kidney transplant 15 years before I did, her's was from as cadavar, she's a little over 30 years after her kidney transplant & is still doing purty good so there is hope for me yet

My B/P is where I like it, I've been able to do all the things I would fall asleep doing a few weeks ago, so it's looking up

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:07 PM   #14
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Glad things are looking up. You've got a pretty good fan base going out here.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #15
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Glad you're doing good! Still ugly as hell though!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:43 PM   #16
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

Glad to hear
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
crack monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #17
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Congrats!