Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,471
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 473

Newest Member: dconrads

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old June 19th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Dragonbuilder
Forum Member

Default I've stepped in it again...

Hello All!
Wanted to greet everyone here and give you some background on me. Been out of the VW scene for near 15 years. Originally from the SoCal scene building engines and one-off bugs back in the day. Drag nites, Run Wahtcha Brung, Route 66's and everything in between. VW's-Mopars-Fords and Chevys.. if I could bust a knuckle and turn some heads I tried it.
So now I'm in ID and its slim pickens around here for VW's ---- BUT ---- I picked up a near virgin 68 Factory sunroof yesterday for a song... Someone had plans for it but never pulled the trigger. All original down to the paint. Some flash rust and busted flanks but nothing major.
Anyhoo love the site and been walking down memory lane and learning some new stuff here too. This seems like my kind of backyard scrounge bunch that gets it done!

I'll keep you guys posted as things progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02342.JPG (136.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Dragonbuilder; June 26th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Dragonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Dragonbuilder
Forum Member

Default Re: I've stepped in it again...

So after a lot of deliberation and a little bit of sleep I decided to go ahead and lift this lady's skirt and see what's really underneath. Need to go full bore if she's going to transform into a VROD vert.
Well today I really tore into it and CAREFULLY removed the [complete] factory wire harness (this thing hasn't aged a day... still all soft and supple), all the interior, column, switches, heater assemblies, factory radio and speaker, boots, grommets, blah blah blah. Everything is bare with the exception of the factory shifter and the body trim / emblems. I'm going to post these for someone to buy - a PURIST that will appreciate the parts even if they hate the idea of a cutoff wheel hitting this 68.
Now that the interior is bare, and wiring is out I'll make some time to pluck the body off the pan and get all the tarboards off and the pan cleaned up / ready for cutting.
Man it was a good day and me feel like I was 20 again! All the parts are neatly cleaned and put away ready for someone to install in THEIR all OEM restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02351.JPG (138.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02348.JPG (139.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02346.JPG (138.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02345.JPG (141.0 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Dragonbuilder; June 26th, 2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Photos before
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Dragonbuilder
Forum Member

Well, July was a long month... but here and there I managed to strip the interior bare, brace up everything and pull the body off the pan. The pan wasn't really that bad all in all - but I've decided on replacing the pan halves with diamond plate and tubing anyways so I removed everything from the pan... drilled all the tackwelds and popped the pan apart.
I was waiting on some special order sized tubing 1.5" x 3.5" x .25") for the pan rails to get here from Oregon so I started on the body... did some sketching and net browsing to see what I wanted and how I was going to do it - measured off some lines and took a thin-cut to this girl!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160802_100756.jpg (143.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160802_105917.jpg (113.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160802_120219.jpg (115.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160803_120625.jpg (99.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160803_124124.jpg (87.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Dragonbuilder; August 29th, 2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Dragonbuilder
Forum Member

Well my last batch of photos didn't post even after I edited them... so here's the latest getdown... I received the tubing I ordered from Oregon Steel and proceeded to measure out the angles and radiuses needed to make them into siderails. Then I proceeded to slice them at 1/4" intervals along the radius and roll them together to make the proper curves to match the body lines. I beveled them some and welded them up & sanded them down again.

With that all being good I cut them to length, slotted the fronts at the proper depth and slid them onto the front of the pan. It took some trial and error (and several near miss drops near my toes) but eventually they fit nicely and got tacked in. Once I felt good about the measurements I welded them in solid. I measured in the 10ga diamond plate for the pan floor pans, sanded the treads bumps off the perimeter areas that seat against the chassis and welded them in as well. I got one side done before life was at my door again demanding my attention elsewhere... I'll get the other side done real soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160810_172233.jpg (184.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160810_172925.jpg (132.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160814_175101.jpg (169.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160829_143358.jpg (91.5 KB, 53 views)
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Dragonbuilder
Forum Member

Hey there,
Just wanted to check in and say hi!... haven't stopped on the volksrod just slowed to a crawl you might say. Good news is the 68 is now "free" - sold the engine, all the glass, fenders, doors switches, panels, etc... I now have $425 more than the $350 I paid for it. All I have left is the drum to drum transaxle and I'm looking to trade that for an IRS if possible.
Got my trans pivot mounts and jigs from Appletree the other day and spec'd them out. They are right on the money. Bolted them on to a pan down in the local wrecking yard where I bought my trailing arms and the bolts go right in to the threads perfectly. It's the wifey's B-day this weekend so I may or may not get anything done to the pan - I'll put up some pics if I do.