- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 21st, 2016, 04:24 AM   #1
theVman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Question 12.5 Gallon Gas tank
Re:: Long Range Fuel Tank   

Has anyone got any pics of a VW 12.5 Gallon Gas tank fitted?
How much clearance is left to the hood? Thinking of fitting one but it will need to be 1" higher than the standard mounting position.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/11320107516.html
theVman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:01 AM   #2
hotrodheb

Default Re: 12.5 Gallon Gas tank

From the looks of it, the highest point of the tank is the filler neck. I think that the filler neck is still in the stock location and they have just made the tank section higher.

Also I was able to put a 16" x 6" Porsche wheel on a custom mount on top of the tank in a 1964 and the hood closed with room to spare.

The one inch raise you need should not be an issue in my opinion!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 08:07 PM   #3
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Ah, long range bug tanks. Back in the mid-70s, besides my Single Cab, I drove a '72 bug in which I'd installed a '65 Corvair engine along with its' IRS drive train. Up front I ran Ghia front suspension with disc brakes. I'd widened the steel fenders with a set of a early 60's bug. On the road the bug got just under thirty mpg.
So, I was taking a geology class at De Anza Community college, which included a raft trip down the Colorado river in the Grand Canyon. The college would provide transportation via a pair of large Chevy vans. I planned to visit an Army buddy on the trip back and opted to drive my bug. By way of preparation, I welded up a mount of 1/2" square tubing to mount a second stock bug tank over the stock tank under the hood. I also installed a Tee between the two tanks so I could switch tanks on the run. A toggle switch allowed me to check either tank at the single VDO gauge.
I was running a pair of pretty comfortable Recarro replica front seats. One of the girls in the class asked if she could ride with me. She added that her mom drove an old bug.
The morning we left, the two instructors eyed my bug and mentioned that once we hit 5 south, we'd be cruising at 70 to 75. I answered that "I'd try to keep up."
When we finally hit 5, the two vans picked up the pace. I could see the driver's checking their mirrors as I cruised along behind. At one point we were running at about eighty. No problem. And then we made our first gas stop in Bakersfield, the vans and about 12 mpg were about dry. I was still on my first tank. We'd planned to made our second fuel stop and get lunch in Needles. A few miles short, I pulled out and passed at a little over ninety. The girl waved. I'd switched tanks fifty or so miles earlier, but just to mess with them, topped off the tank I was using, but just added five gallons or so in the other. Both instructors stared at the pump I was using, which only showed around seven gallons. In Arizona, the vans cruised at a solid eighty. The girl with me remarked that my bug was a lot faster than her moms'.
They never asked what I was running, and the only problem I had was on a section of dirt road on a side trip to look for fossils. Off and on, I scrapped off the peak in the center with the chin spoiler.
We had a blast rafting down the canyon.
Mods to the Corvair Monza engine included a dual set of Turbo mufflers, a 140 Horse cam, Mallory dual point dist. and a single 300 cfm two barrel center pivot float Holley atop a home built manifold. Rear wheels were 15" x 8" Corvette rally wheels with 'Wide Ovals'. Up front were BR 50 13's on custom built 7" wide 13" rims. My overall average for the entire trip was just over 26 mpg. I sold the Bug in '79 to finance a trip to Hawaii to visit a girl friend. One of the dumbest things I've ever done.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:18 PM   #4
cretin
Forum Member

I read in Hot Rod in the 80s that the term "turbo mufflers" came from the first turbo Corvair's mufflers. Folks liked them and started using them on other cars, but the name stuck.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:21 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

That's true. The 'Turbo' Corvair ran a single one. They had huge (2 1/2") inlet and outlets, moved a lot of exhaust and were quiet. At the time they were $17.00 at the dealer. I run one on my Ford Ranger and a pair on the Single Cab.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #6
theVman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I found these on the samba, only pics i can find on the www of a tank fitted.

All suppliers state "Must use 60mm cap #211201551. Fuel gauge will read "empty" at about 6 gallons of fuel left." However some also say to use "Sending Unit 113919049C" but dont clarify if this new sender reads allowing for the larger tank size.
theVman is offline   Reply With Quote