Forum Member

Default Re: Breakfast build

cool, thanks!
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:53 AM   #52
theredbarn
Forum Member

I really like the raked "b" pillars and the stance... It looks like it want's to head-butt you!
theredbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #53
Kraut Taco
Forum Member

sweet chop and I like the slanted "B" post. Hoping mine will look as good someday.
Kraut Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #54
Fir3ma5t3r
Forum Member

Look good
Fir3ma5t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #55
hotsauce
Forum Member

Chop looks great man! Love the raked b-post.
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #56
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Back to the build!

God its been a long time. We bought a house and the bug got buried behind everything we didnt know what to do with. Ended up with a decent size garage though so now that im getting around to clearing it out, i should have plenty of space to work.

Got my tank filled a couple days ago to finish up some welding on the chop, mostly just some interior stuff left. Ive been going back and forth on cutting out the heater channels and replacing them with steel plates like hotsauce did but im still undecided. plenty of work to do before I need to decide i guess.

Also i really want to get the rear tires to clear the wheel wells. I was thinking some 3x3s would do the trick? maybe with some spacers if i need a little extra clearance. I was wondering though, is camber going to be an issue with them when i get it to the height i want (as low as possible)? would flipping those trailing arms have the same effect that flipping the stock ones would or are they build with different angles and it wouldnt help?

Looking forward to getting back into it, i still visit the site all the time, itll be nice to contribute again.
breakfastbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #57
alykat
Site Supporter

He's baaack ! Another one back in the fold. Yay !
Old May 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #58
markh
Forum Member

Good to see and hear you are back at it. Let me know if you need any help. If you get a set of aftermarket trailing arms, you can easily bolt them on and see. I don't recall if my 3x3s on the Coupe were different or made to install one way since I had to fab my own shock mounts. As far as I know, I might have installed mine flipped... but it's certainly low with almost no camber.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #59
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Thanks Mark. Ill go the 3x3 route then. Got out to the garage last night and was able to finish up all the old metal work on the passenger door, then get rid of the door handle and trim holes.. Baby steps!

Also I'm really interested in raising the torsion housing up to keep a decent ride quality and so that i don't end up scraping the engine on everything once i have the body at ride height. Mark, you swapped your swing arm for irs right? Maybe you could come give me a hand with the measuring when the time comes? The only mention of metal thickness i can find when doing this is 5mm. You guys think that would be sufficient? something like this...

Old May 16th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #60
nshaddox
Forum Member

Stock metal thickness around tunnel and torsion tube is pretty close to 1/8". I've heard of people using 1/4" plate when they raise the torsion as shown. 5mm is probably fine as long as it's gusseted appropriately. If it flexes you can always add more gussets later.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #61
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Ok awesome. my welder claims to be able to handle 3/16" but i think it starts to get a little dicey at 1/4".
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:49 AM   #62
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Well time to get back at it....again. Still visit the site every day but have made just about zero progress besides accumulating parts. Picked up some 3x3s. Picked up the necessary metal to cut out the heater channels. Decided against the torsion housing raise, Im just going to raise the tranny instead to keep from scraping the engine. My tranny now is solid mounted to the mount but the tranny raise i have seems to be for use with rubber mounts. They arent year specific right? I can just pick up some rubber mounts and they should work fine? Heres what I have

Also lately Ive been on a kick to put the bug on an air suspension. The front is a piece of cake with air shocks and since I will be using the 3x3s in the rear, I have a nice flat surface for the lower mounts. And since I will be cutting out the heater channels and raising the tranny, I need to cut out the package tray anyway and rebuild it so I will have plenty of space to build the support and upper mounts for the rear. Ive had a bagged truck in the past so for the most part its nothing new but I was wondering about the spring plates. If i just remove the torsion bars can I keep the original spring plates bolted up or do I need to get something like this.

Thanks a ton guys!
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:55 PM   #63
gandos56
Forum Member

I am doing an air bag conversion right now on a Beetle Hot Rod.I decided to keep the rear torsion bars in place,but machined just enough off the inner splines to allow them to rotate in the centre splined section.I fitted a grease nipple to each centre area to lube the torsion bars.I fitted new rubber donuts to the spring plates,but with plenty of silicone lube.I haven't hooked up air yet to the bags,but suspension movement is OK on the floor jack.
gandos56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #64
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Interesting idea. What made you go that route? Is it to keep the spring plates from having any side to side movement?
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #65
gandos56
Forum Member

I wasn't happy with having all the suspension deflection being absorbed by only the rubbers-with the torsion bars in - the deflection when hitting bumps is using them for stability and to help absorb the loads.I know the rubber donuts do an awesome job,but what I have done is almost like the OG set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotrod132sm.JPG (38.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg hotrod134sm.JPG (39.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by gandos56; December 4th, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old December 6th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #66
alykat
Site Supporter

Don't know about anyone else, but this looks like a good idea to me.
Old December 6th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #67
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Yup. A two here.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #68
breakfastbacon
Forum Member

Thanks gandos56, looks like a simple and sturdy way to save me some money. Now i need to find someone with a lathe. Ive never seen the inside of the torsion housing, I just have a mental image of what it looks like. Would i be ok placing my grease nipples elsewhere or was there a specific reason you went with that location? Its just with wanting to lay the pan on the ground, Id prefer not to have them hanging down.. just in case.
Old December 8th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #69
gandos56
Forum Member

I was really surprised how easy it was to machine off the splines.You could probably take them off with a flap disc on a 5 inch - but not really professional. My car will be about 2.5 inches from the ground at the sides of the pan when the bags are empty and my grease nipples are up out of the way and protected.You can put them any where around the torsion bar tube- but just need them to be in line with the ends of the torsion bars for good lube

Last edited by gandos56; December 8th, 2016 at 04:30 AM.