Newest Member: dedo_br

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old December 15th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #1
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Default Bolt on (mostly) steering wheel quick release

I wanted to use a quick release on my steering wheel. I'm a bigger dude so it makes getting in and out easier. And it doubles as a theft deterrent. I wasn't ready to commit to just welding the spline to my steering shaft. In the off chance I want to need to take it out. So I was on the hunt for a bolt on quick release that worked with my grant steering wheel. I only found 1 through Pacific Customs. It the hex center, and I know that those can wear out and get loose. I wanted to find one that was splined because I haven't seen any issue with those. This application is specific to a wheel with a Grant 3 bolt pattern. I didn't look into options for steering wheels with more bolts.

What you need:
Grant steering wheel 3 bolt style

Grant adapter kit for VW

1/2" steering wheel spacer

Splined quick release

Steel circle. I think 3" but I will have to double check. THis is where the mostly part from the title comes in. You will need to weld the spline from the quick release to this and dril the pattern.

As you can see, I ended up having to drill the holes twice. Was a little off my first time around.

So you start with putting the Grant adapter on your column.

Then the cover that comes with the Grant kit.

Then the steering wheel nut and the 1/2" spacer. The one I got is an Allstar Performance one. I did have to use a file and make some room for the nut. The center was just too small for the nut.

Then the quick release adapter we made. The bolts that came with the 1/2" spacer, are too big for the Grant VW adapter. You will need to get some new bolts with the same thread as the Grant adapter. The bolts that come with the Grant adapter are shorter than ones that come with the spacer. You could use them, but I wanted to make sure I had some the same length to make sure I had enough threads in. In the picture I just have the Grant bolts sitting on top to show them. But they're not what I'm using.

Attach your wheel and you are done!

The whole setup moved the wheel back about 1 1/2" but this worked out good for me. When I had the wheel attached straight to the adapter my signal lever was pretty much right next to the wheel. I'll post up pictures when I get the column mounted in the car.
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Default Re: Bolt on (mostly) steering wheel quick release

Nice.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:56 AM   #3
alykat
Site Supporter

Default Re: Bolt on (mostly) steering wheel quick release

Good job !