Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #1
cretin
Forum Member

Default Wheel bearings

My fake Heb is on a 68 pan with an early short swingaxle. 5 lug brakes. The beam is a mail order rebuilt one, with adjusters and dropped spindles.

How do I know what wheel bearings and seals to get? I can't ass-u-me that what was in it was right.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Re: Wheel bearings

I get what you are asking. On the beam, there are two main options, k/p or b/j. Being a 68 pan, early or not, it is a ball joint front end. Now, being that it has Wide five drum brake drums, it is an early ball joint beam. The outer bearing is smaller, but I believe the inner is the same. Order bearings and seals as if it were a '67 and I believe you will be fine.

As for the swing axle, I do not know that there is a difference between years. I believe there are simply either swing axle or IRS. I could be wrong on this part though.
Old January 28th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #3
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
...As for the swing axle, I do not know that there is a difference between years. I believe there are simply either swing axle or IRS. I could be wrong on this part though.
Rear Bearings for a swing axle are all the same. There are some minor differences in the design of the outer wheel hub assembly, but nothing major. When you order the outer seal kits for it - it will have everything needed, regardless. I always order 4. You will use two obviously - but it is never a bad idea to have an extra couple seal kits - it is a dumb reason to hafta park your VW for a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #4
cretin
Forum Member

The beam is one I recently ordered from Kustom 1 Warehouse. The one that was in the car had wide 5 brakes on it. I swapped the brakes to the new beam. It seems ok, but I want to be sure.

The issue I'm having is that CIP lists 66 to 68 and 68 1/2 to 78.

I'm not sure which one I should use. Because of the wide 5 drums, I'm thinking the 66-68 is what I need. But I don't want to ass-u-me.
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

That is the year split for 5 lug to 4 lug ball joint beams.

So, you are correct young gwass hoppa. You will require the 67-68 bearings.
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #6
cretin
Forum Member

Cool beans. Thanky
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #7
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Do you have the old bearings??

If it wouldn't take me 2 or 3 days (prolly just an hour or 2 to pull the front hubs out from where they are) I could pull the outer bearings out & measure the difference between the early & later bearings, it might give you an idea as to what bearings to get

I have the spindles/hubs off both the 5 lug B/J & a 4 lug B/J out in my garage & next to my garage

Think that would help ya ??

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #8
cretin
Forum Member

The car had 5 lug brakes on whatever front end was in it. I swapped the whole shooting match to the new front end, and it all feels good. I just don't trust it. Now that I have new drums, I need new bearings anyway.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #9
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I understand, I'd do the same, well no I wouldn't because I have a non existent budget, but I do have many sets of front wheel bearings that I would go thru & inspect, if I couldn't find a "good" set, then I would buy new ones
This past summer I was trying to get rid of all the useless VW parts so I scrapped 5 to 6 sets of spindles, 6 sets of trailing arms & close to 5 sets of brake drums & bscking plates all from 4 lug B/J Bugs, I kept a set of decent drums for a disc brake setup I plan to make, I gathered all these parts from when I was having fun in my rail buggy, you tend to break & bend suspension parts off road so you need lots of spares, we don't have sand dunes around these parts, just wooded areas, mud, shallow streams, I only wish we had video cameras & regular cameras we could have brought with us in the woods, sometimes 3 or 4 of us in buggies & 3 or 4 on motorcycles & quads would take off for a weekend in the Daniel Boone National Forest & not see anyone for 10 to 15 hours, crazy right, no cell phones to call for help, just a flare gun, food, water, beer n whiskey & a big fire at night, ahh the memories

Ok I got off track, I had one 66 Bug with B/J & 5 lug wheels, the front outer wheel bearings were smaller, then half way thru 68 they changed them, something else that's different from a 66 & later years was the tie rod ends, the tapered section that went into the spindle arms was much smaller, I have no idea what year they changed them, I just know that by 69 the tie rod end's tapered ends had a larger diameter shaft & the spindle arms had a larger hole

That was a lot to say, but I was basically just asking if you didn't know which outer front wheel bearings you needed that I could tell you the size of each & you could check yours to see if you needed the early smaller ones, or the later larger ones, plus I just like to talk a lot anyway so it's all good

So did you ever get the correct bearings ?

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #10
cretin
Forum Member

I'll order them soon.

My first car was grandmom's 68. It had 67 tie rods on it. So yeah, I learned early on to not trust anything.

I'll have to get some pics of the old front end just to scare the hell out of you all.

One example of the PO's work. Each headlight had at least half dozen butt splices between the light and the wiring harness.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:03 AM   #11
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

at wire splices
There isn't much that'll scare me, bought my 1st Bug 5 or 6 weeks before my 16th B-day, it was rough, since then I have never been without a Bug, I've had prolly more than 25 but that's an easy number to remember, so that's what I stick with
Before the buggy I'd buy 2 or 3 a year from young guys who would get in over their head, I'd buy them for between $25 & $75 tow them home with my dad's 56 Ford truck, pack all the boxes in the back, so yeah, I have definitely seen some scary stuff, some of them I was afraid they'd fall apart before I made it home, sometimes they had at least 1 flat, another they were all flat, I even towed one home on wheels only, that was a site, you get a crowd watching as you go down the street, a few people called me VW Ronnie

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; January 31st, 2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:47 AM   #12
cretin
Forum Member

Craziest VW story I know was my dad's buddy across the street. He needed a ton (literally) of red bricks. So he pulled the passenger and rear seats from his 64 Bug and drove across town to get them. Loaded them inside the car. They were up to shoulder level with just enough room left for him to drive. Somehow made it over the substantial Jacksonville bridges unscathed.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:36 AM   #13
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my Single Cab, my first VW, it had a major dent in the front end and a 36 hp engine. With the tailgate down I could hit fifty flat out on level road. I was just out of the Army and was a couple of weeks into adjusting to civilian life when the guy across from my folks hired me to clear out his backyard. He gave me lunch money and I got to keep whatever I got for the scrap. Vietnam was still going on and scrap steel was worth quite a bit. He had been a mechanic in a former life and his wife wanted all his "old crap" hauled away. For the first of several loads, I loaded up engine blocks, heads, transmissions, boxes of bits and headed to the local metal yard. I took back roads as the truck could only manage about 38 mph.
After stopping at the scale, a crane with big magnet unloaded most of the heavy stuff, with a couple of helpers doing the rest. Then it was back to the scale. The guy weighed the empty truck, I parked it and walked into the office to collect my $. Instead of paying me for the scrap, they sent me back out for my truck to be reweighed. There was a lot of head scratching as the Single Cab weighed 2200 lbs and I'd just hauled in twenty-eight hundred pounds of scrap metal. I was paid and then spent some time letting the guys look over my "old Hippy truck" while they scratched their heads.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Of all my previous VW's, I miss my '60 single cab the most.
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:26 PM   #15
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

WOW, one brick near the bottom slips out of place could a caused the walls to come crumbling down

Guess they didn't think that VW could carry more than it's own weight people under estimate VW's way to much, their tough vehicals

I've always wanted an early SC, I know where there's one at, I only wish I had a bottomless pocket of cash so I could keep offering the owner until he said "sold" it's complete & I'm sure it needs lots a work, but like I said I'd pay more than it's worth the way it sits
IF it's still there in 7 years I'm gonna buy it

My VolksRod weighs exactly 2000 lbs with me in it, my trailer weighs 600, the last load I took to the scrapyard the gross weight in was 3932, the car pulled it just fine, it was going down the only hill that had me worried a few times, I know I'll never pull that much ever again

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:30 AM   #16
cretin
Forum Member

Yeah, dad had a 69 van and an 80 Chevy half ton pickup with an inline 6 that he used for his HVAC business. The VW could carry more stuff better (and dryer) than the Chevy.

So many people don't realize that they were all 3/4 ton trucks.