Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,473
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 501

Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 29th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #1
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Chopped Oval Streetrod

Try this link to see photos of my project's pan as described...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AZNmjNk0at3LnA

Sorry I'm struggling with this photo attach thing. I read the instructions on how to attach photos and previously I posted pics of my 71 street custom without a problem. I used Photobucket then and just can't seem to get it to work again. Went to Shutterfly and the above link is the best I can do for now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pan Front A.jpg (157 Bytes, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Front Suspension Left.jpg (157 Bytes, 499 views)
File Type: jpg Pan Looking Forward.jpg (157 Bytes, 501 views)

Last edited by bfreckman; December 27th, 2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Trying to add pictures
bfreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM   #2
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Chopped Oval Streetrod - Update 06/03/16

Spent the last few months repairing most of the rust on the body. The heater channels were pretty much crap. All fixed now. Also repaired the lower half of the front firewall, a new lower right door hinge, a new right rear wheel well as well as the area from the heater channels to the center hump on both sides. I also replaced both rear "tail" pieces, the apron and both engine compartment side shelves. Still to put in is a new rear firewall (bead rolled by a local shop). I also cut and welded the sheet metal to form around and under the front hood (just don't like that open look).
I put the body on the pan and wheels & tires on to check the fit since all the body work was done...pretty well fit with only a couple of bolts to line up with the threaded inserts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left Front on Wheels A.jpg (157 Bytes, 389 views)
File Type: jpg Front on Wheels B.jpg (157 Bytes, 389 views)

Last edited by bfreckman; June 4th, 2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Trying to add pictures
Old June 30th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #3
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Chopped Oval Streetrod 06/30/16

So after finally stumbling on how to post pictures, here are a few pictures of my project. The 1st is the start of replacing the lower portion of the right door hinge area. I was fortunate in finding a real German part....it fit quite well. Man was I scared to cut this area out. Lots of measuring again & again. I finally made several paper patterns and tacked the part with the patterns as a guide.

The second is of the front of the body with heater channels, the Napoleon's hat area and the right door hinge area restored.

The third is of the left rear heater channel and the area that connects to the luggage floor and where the body mounts to the pan.

More photos to come....
Old July 7th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #4
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Chopped Oval Streetrod

Here's the rear with all new sheet metal. Tail piece sides, apron, engine compartment side shelves and the new firewall. The new Creative Car Craft deck lid just came in and I'll mount it up and add a picture later.

Also a couple of pics of the rack & pinion I added (thanks to much input from Fernon).

Till next time....
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Finally got around to taking a couple of pics of body work. Got a great decklid from Creative Car Craft (their glass is by far the best being made). I've glued and riveted the right side front & rear inner fenders and the rocker panel. I've done the basic fill for the initial smoothing, added a 4" wide fiberglass strip to reinforce everything. Then I'm filling and sanding for the final shape. Needless to say this takes time and a lot of sanding dust!!!

Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:44 AM   #6
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Latest pics...the right side is almost done...I also welded up the wiper and antenna holes. Still lots of work on the front apron area both inside and out. This was replaced once by a real hack and was treated roughly.

Old April 25th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #7
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Chopped Oval Streetrod - Revised 4/25/17

The interior is almost done. Welded up everything on the dash other than the speedo. Even the defrosters. Added A/C vents and Grant steering wheel on Speedway stainless column.

Since the car has a 73 super beetle hard sunroof grafted in, I didn't want a typical headliner. I laid up 2 layers of 8 oz. bi-directional glass cloth on the outside of the roof! I popped it off the next day, trimmed the edges and adhered it to the inner roof over a layer of X-mat. Sanded and filled and sanded and filled and sanded. I now have a really nice solid fiberglass headliner...

I also re-fitted the doors. Once the fiberglass rocker panels were on, the doors were too long. I had to cut a 1/4" section from near the bottom of the doors.

Pictures to come, but I also got back all the front end suspension from the chrome plater and the Atomwerk 3" drop spring plates also finally came in (an early Birthday present)!
More photos soon...
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #8
bfreckman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Chopped Oval Streetrod - Update 06/20/17

As noted previously the doors had to have a 1/4" section removed. This was removed and finally re-welded, ground and filled smooth. I also welded up all unnecessary holes, skim filled and sanded smooth.

I also decided to remove the C Channel on both the front and rear hood and decklid. I'll use rubber molding glued to the hood and decklid as a seal.

Finally working on the "beat up" hood. Many hands have hammered, welded, filled, sanded, primered and painted it. I have removed just about all. I've welded up the leading edge cracks and doubled this edge area. Still have to do a bit of metal work to repair some dents and then skim and final sand for smoothness.

Soon the finished body will be back on the pan for a final fit. I still have to complete the R & P steering and adjust the bottom of the fuel tank to clear the steering linkage. I'll also fit a set of seats to make sure I fit with the 4-1/2" top chop.