Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 14th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Amber 74
Forum Member

Default thermostat

My dual port does not have a thermostat or the flaps in the fan shroud do I need to replace them or is it OK to go without them for proper cooling ?
Amber 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:29 AM   #2
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Default Re: thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber 74 View Post
My dual port does not have a thermostat or the flaps in the fan shroud do I need to replace them or is it OK to go without them for proper cooling ?
This would depend on a couple of things, but generally, I'd recommend the thermostat and flaps on most VW air cooled engines. If you live in a cold climate it's a must for one reason, and if you live in a hot climate, it's a must for another reason... So basically the only people who don't "need" them are non existent.
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Amber 74
Forum Member

I live in Hot south Carolina . Where do I find everything to replace them ?
Amber 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I believe John at air cooled.net has the stuff... it isn't old original stuff but is current best case usually

Last edited by SCOTTRODS; October 19th, 2017 at 04:43 AM.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #5
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I'm one of the nonexistent people who doesn't run the thermostat, when I put the chrome fan shroud on the flaps wouldn't function properly so I left it all off, I just make sure I let the engine heat up really good before taking off, I've never really had any problems, altho recently I thought I was having issues, turns out the exhaust I put on back in August has a few leaks, I'm gonna double up the gaskets before it gets to cold

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:01 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

Quote:
So basically the only people who don't "need" them are non existent.
Everyone may "need" flaps but I'm betting after all these years more cars have missing or non functioning flaps than the other way. I've never had functioning flaps in and aircooled VW, but I live in mostly warm Texas and I don't drive an aircooled much in really cold weather. If you have everything apart and are willing to procure all of the proper parts and make sure they are all assembled and functioning correctly you would probably be better off. Lots of videos and info out there to guide you through the process.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:49 AM   #7
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
Everyone may "need" flaps but I'm betting after all these years more cars have missing or non functioning flaps than the other way. I've never had functioning flaps in and aircooled VW, but I live in mostly warm Texas and I don't drive an aircooled much in really cold weather. If you have everything apart and are willing to procure all of the proper parts and make sure they are all assembled and functioning correctly you would probably be better off. Lots of videos and info out there to guide you through the process.
I'm Betting you're right, Mr. Parker... but I always consider the the saying... "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"... right? Knowing I live near you (Garland G Bush at 78)... I know we can get away without them a lot of the time, but summer time would be nice to have the air flow directed properly to keep temps regulated... I have only ever had 2 VW's with the full set up on them out of I believe 29 Beetles now... Like you, I give advice better than I follow in this situation... LOL
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I ran my 76x88 slip ins in my 65 bug for 15 years and over 100,000 miles with out the thermostat and flaps. I freshned it up in 03 and just put the flaps in and welded them open to help direct the air. 50.000 so far in the East Tennessee weather. Not really able to tell a radiance but I do drive it on longer interstate trips now tho. You really need all the cooling tins and seals in place.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Motors wear faster, when they are not hot enough.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #10
yimbo
Forum Member

The way it was explained to me years ago was the thermostat moves the flaps to blow air either on the heads or the jugs depending on temperature to keep each at the proper temp. Makes sense to me, don't want either area getting too hot or too cold. Not only do you need the thermostat but it needs to be adjusted properly to put the flaps where the air is needed. Just my opinion.

Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck!

The differance between a man and a boy. When there is a job to be done a boy will find a way to get out of it, a man will find a way to get it done !
yimbo is offline   Reply With Quote