- by Frank3
- by bugdust
- by Vrshack
- by bugwhat

Old June 26th, 2018, 05:00 PM   #2526
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: The "Today f*cking sucks club" thread

Been there, had that done to me. A couple of months back, a "friend" who I had helped on his projects in the past, ran into me in the local hardware store and asked me to drop by on the way home. Turned out he has an old 4x4 Ford project and wanted to know when I could come by swap in a new rear axle and front diff. for him. As his mechanical skills suck, he offered me a hundred bucks.
When I asked why he didn't take it to a mutual friend's shop in town, he replied, "Well, he's expensive."
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #2527
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Expensive huh, and he wanted to give you a $100.
For that much I would have loosened all the bolts and that's it, IF I was feeling good I might have dropped the rear axle, but I wouldn't waste that kind of energy unless I knew that person would drop everything to come help me if I was on a tough spot, I'd help my brother do something like that for free, and there's only about 500 feet between his house and mine, and we're brothers

Your friend with the 4x4 has no idea what it takes to do what he wants

Back in 1985 I bent the rear axle housing in a 1970 Delta 88, I knew a guy that was a mechanic at the place I got gas all the time, he wanted $350 to change the rear end, I said hell with that, pulled the 455 out of it, my grandpa bought it new, gave it to my mom, she gave it to me when the front suspension was shot, it had around 150,000 miles on it when I pulled it, I bought the 74 Cutlass from a friend for $100, he blew the original 455 that was in it and his parents wanted their garage back, I drove it for 10 years, raced it on just about every Friday night at the local 1/4 mile track for 3 years and drove it to and from work every day until the body mounts rusted out, it has around 375,000 miles when I took it out, it had 130 psi when I did a copression check before I pulled it, one day I hope to rebuild it and put it in something, I put it in my 66 Bug before the Ford engine, it was just to heavy or it would still be in it, I may get heavy duty springs and put it back, who knows

Sorry for rambling on

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 09:38 PM   #2528
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

"Sorry for rambling on." I enjoy reading the various mechanical tales of the group here. Keep it up.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 12:14 PM   #2529
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Another screwed up day with my Volksrod, yesterday afternoon on the way home from my wife's work a csr pulled up next to me at a red light, he said my brake lights were out, so when I got home I checked all the fuses, good, then I checked my lights, brake lights were good but my left tail light was out, my tail lights started giving me problems a few months ago, I couldn't figure out where the connection was bad at so I ran a wire from the Battery terminal on the generator to a switch and to the lights, the brake light switch looked like it was dirty, so I pulled the wires off and cleaned everything up real good and when I hooked them back up they were on, the only problem was I was standing behind the car and nobody was holding the pedal down, when I got in and stepped on the brake pedal the brake lights went out, WTF, so I looked around to see if I had an extra brake light switch but couldn't find one, called the parts place and they couldn't get one till 9 am this morning, I leave at 5:30 am to take my wife to work and had to visit the Vampire's Office since Tuesday is my 3 month check up time, I pulled the one wire off so my battery wouldn't go dead overnight, hooked it up in the morning before making my rounds and hoped anyone behind me would be able to figure out when I was stopping and no police would get behind me, I made the 35 mile round trip and it was almost 9 when I got close to the parts store, got the new switch and new tail light and now I have brake lights that work properly, I also tracked down where the bad connection was to the tail lights and fixed that too

I think it's time to replace the entire wiring harness with one of these
https://www.dubparts.com/products/re...deluxe-bug-kit

Anyone used one of these and if so how was it?
I've rewired my 66 Bug years ago when I changed it over to 12 volt so I know what it takes to replace it, the only thing I didn't see about that kit was whether it had an intermittent windshield wiper switch, that's about the only thing that would make it better, but I'm sure I ould install a switch from something else for the wipers, if not I'll just keep using the manual intermittent wiper switch I've been using for the last 36 years

Ron

RSS
Old July 7th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #2530
Bugula
Forum Member

Electrical always sucks. My food trailer lost all running lights a few weeks ago. The plug was getting hot and would blow a fuse in the van once in a while. I pulled any recent screws that I had installed I case I drilled into a wire. Still no good. Finally I pulled a panel down to take a look at actually just running new wires. And there it was, the aluminum ceiling pinched a wire. I'm actually vending at a microbrewery right now.
Ok, I'm back had a customer. Lol. I've been dreading towing at night. Hazards or one tail light. Now it all works.

Last edited by Bugula; July 7th, 2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Customer
Bugula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 07:52 AM   #2531
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yeah electrical problems suck, it's so nice to start from scratch.
I always pulled the entire wiring harness out of all the Bugs I had before getting rid of them, I took all the best wires out and used that when I rewired my 66, I can't seem to find it, but I know I have it somewhere in my garage, I found the wiring harness for my rail buggy and I think I'm gonna pull the engine and trans out of my son's Honda and put it into the rail
Then I hope to buy one of those new harness kits and do my Volksrod next spring, I think I'll hafta buy a new turn signal switch as well, the right side doesn't work and the left side stays on until you manually turn it off, I've driven a few miles with it on, I need to fix the indicator light in the speedo, guess that can wait until I replace it all

Good to hear you got your trailer straightened out, can be scary when back lights don't work right

Ron

RSS

Tags
bad day, today sucks