- by Bugula
- by alykat
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old February 15th, 2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Humbug53
Forum Member

Default A lil help?

I belong to several forums, one of which is for people that are building / have built Herbie clones. Me being one of these people.
Anyhoo, Disney is planning on a "re-boot" to the Herbie franchise with Herbie being a government-built, talking spy car. I've attached a link to the petition to hopefully keep this from happening.
Hopefully, as nerdy as you guys may find us, you can step up as fellow car folks, and lend a hand...

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-di...-love-bug-talk
Humbug53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #2
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: A lil help?

I know this board may seem dead, and I only voice my own opinions, but I don't think this is the place for politics..

of all the shit going on, you want to complain about another herbie movie? fuck it, let em make whatever dumb movies they want to..

this is a place to talk about modifying VW's in a way that most don't. this is where we come to brag about our mcgyver'ing skills, and stare in aww at the skills of those better than us. I don't come here to get involved in protests about "beloved" characters, i come here to see cutting, welding, and driving..

I lack the talent to weld, but I do cut some shit, and I've been trying to do more driving. leave the protests to the snowflakes.. until they come after our gasoline engines full force, then fuck em, let em see a fight..

again, purely MY opinions, not those of the board, it's owner, or it's supporters, just me.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #3
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Old February 21st, 2018, 04:47 AM   #4
Humbug53
Forum Member

Just figured that, like myself, some others here may be car film buffs. You say you lack talent, and I'm not doubting your personal assessment, but I, not lacking abilities, am building a clone of the 1969 film. Sucks to see the direction it's going, that's all. I'm not sure why you bothered to respond, though, being it would have taken less time to just ignore the post and moved on. Maybe if the film was about a VW with a disproportionate abortion of a 30's Ford grille, you may see this differently. Have a pleasant day.
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbug53 View Post
Just figured that, like myself, some others here may be car film buffs. You say you lack talent, and I'm not doubting your personal assessment, but I, not lacking abilities, am building a clone of the 1969 film. Sucks to see the direction it's going, that's all. I'm not sure why you bothered to respond, though, being it would have taken less time to just ignore the post and moved on. Maybe if the film was about a VW with a disproportionate abortion of a 30's Ford grille, you may see this differently. Have a pleasant day.
I wouldn't see it any different.. Sorry, i'm just cranky over recent politics and politiking and just feel that there are soo many better issues to get involved with if you feel like getting involved.

I'm part of the problem, I'm too lazy to get involved, if I did though, I'd want more firearm education for youth, more limits on pharmaceutical company profits, execs to make less money and trickle it down to the blue collars who actually create their profits, medical and quality of life care for homeless or disabled veterans, less money being spent on countries who don't appreciate it, stricter sentences for illegal immigrants who break the law, less care about altering our way of life to adapt it to immigrants, healthcare for hard working taxpayers, etc..

Those things seem to be bigger problems in my head than whether Disney is going to re-bastardize another old movie..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Humbug53
Forum Member

...says the guy that wants less politics in the forum. I'm not here to discuss actual politics. This was a car film thing. I wouldn't have posted anything here regarding presidents, guns, pharmaceuticals, etc... because those things ARE politics. Duh.
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:23 AM   #7
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Great, and now back to our projects. I have just received via snail mail, a trick set of Wolf logo hubcap centers for the baby moons on my V8 powered '58 Single cab. I'm still debating the '32 Ford grill installation..... Um, actually I do have a '32 grill hanging on the wall of my little shop, but I'm joking.
There is a Herbie replica running around in nearby Santa Rosa. While I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner, I noticed the that she was grinning as she drove by.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Spanish Flea
Forum Member

My two cents. If you don't like it. Don't see the movie. I love OG herbie. Could care less what that mouse does with it.
Spanish Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:57 PM   #9
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

A few months ago Trina and I went to see a movie at the closest cinema, while standing in line I see a newer VW Bug convertible parked outside, it had the number 58 in a circle on the doors, later that night I was talking to my mom about going to see a movie, she mentioned her friend's grand son works there and drives a newer Bug with Here's numbered on it, I just couldn't believe she never told me he had a Bug, I thought it was great that he's working, he was diagnosed at a young age with autism, he had issues adjusting to school when he was young, but now he's working and investing all his money, he's really doing great, and he drives a VW.

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 06:31 AM   #10
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Good to hear he's doing well! AND got "The Bug" too.
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:09 PM   #11
V8Transporter
Forum Member

The neat thing about old bugs, Herbie reps, chopped 'patina rods and VWs in general is that they make you smile. Today on the way to the hardware store a tan fastback passed me from the opposite direction. I was in my Ranger and waved, the guy waved back. We were both grinning.
IMHO, any project that keeps older Vee Dubs on the road is worthwhile.
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:17 PM   #12
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hear Hear!!