Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,379
Total Online: 935

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #1
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Who sells some blank drums for late IRS bugs? I need to have them drilled for late ford 5x5.5" bolt pattern. Will the late drums accept this bolt pattern? I see that Dave C. had this done...does anyone know how much it will run, along with having studs placed in them also. Just for the rears. Thanks!

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Chris
Forum Member

The machine work for the rear drums and also the price of the studs will probably run you in the neighborhood of $100
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Dayzwalker, SoCal Imports JUST got the blank IRS drums back in stock. I think the blank drum is around 60 bucks each, then about 3 bucks apiece for the Ford 1/2 inch thread studs, then the labor to drill and press 'em in, I'll bet you're gonna hit close to, if not over, 100 bucks per drum. Best thing to do, is call (562) 633-9731, qand ask for Jim, he's the machinist guy there, and he can give you the straight poop. Just tell him you want your rear drums just like that Bozo Cormack has... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #4
dayzwalker
Forum Member

well, I'm looking at $300+ for some wheel adapters and since they are going from 4lug to 5lug they would have to be at least 1/2" thick. I would rather keep my wheels tucked into the fenderwells and save some $$$ at the same time. Thanks guys!!!

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old April 29th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Oh, yeah, one other thing-

If you are going to be using these on a pre-67 (so 66 and earlier) swingaxle, with short axles/short splines, the snout of the drum needs to be milled about .575", so the brake drum nut will fit all the way onto the axle, and the hole for the cotter pin will line-up between the "towers" on the castellated 36mm nut....Just like you have to do on the early Type 3 drums when using them on a short/short trans.

(The photo has nothing to do with the drums, I just wanted to throw it in there 'cause they arew finally all straight, shiny, and purty....) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #6
Ichoptop
Forum Member

I have a set just like that except they are crooked rusty and greasy
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #7
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

When I got those wheels, I was lugging them back to my car, and people were looking at me like I was fuggin' CRAZY (well, I am, but they don't know that....)
I sandblasted, scraped, cussed, got bloody, scraped and blasted some more, sledge hammered, ground, filed, hammered some more, sanded, and then took them to get powder coated. It was a royal P.I.T.A., and it took a LOT of time, but I think the end result was worth it, I took some crap no one else wanted, and made something out of it, kinda like the whole deal behind Volksrodding.... ;)
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Chris
Forum Member

There's nothin' like turning nothing into something [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] Creativity and attention to detail are awesome. The wheels look good Dave.

On the otherhand too many times have I seen cars that were something get turned into 'rods' of some sort or nothing at all... I'm not a purist, but that's not right...they don't build them anymore. Carefully select which ones aren't worth a second chance. If the cars perfect from the A-pillar back and you want a truck, pick a different candidate. :rolleyes:

I just straightened some ET26 15x5.5 Sport Bug wheels the other day that I got for free, plan to sandblast them in the next month or so and get them back on the road after some silver paint.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #9
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Oh yeah, one other tjhing, dayzwalker-

The Ford wire wheels JUST BARELY fit the blank drum, inside the recess in the center of the wheel, but they DO clear, by about 1/16"-1/8" per side, but all that matters is that they clear the inner portion of the wheel, and they do. No adaptersw :P The Volvo discs, on the other hand, require adapters to go from the Volvo, 5 on 4-1/2" bolt circle, to the early Ford 5 on 5-1/2 bolt crcle.
By the way, any Volksrodders going to the Beaver Springs, PA, show/race Sunday, May 2nd, that's THIS sunday? If so, look for an aging flower child with a HVWs T-shirt and an old Nikon FM-2 35 mm camera...
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Nick
Forum Member

I maybe going as a spectator to Beaver Springs. I think CrackMonkey will be going too. If I go I'll wear the Vrod forum shirt with a broken ass crappy digital camera with a case that looks like a girly purse [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:05 PM   #11
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

...look for a somewhat pot bellied (no, not THAT kind of pot) guy, wearing Levi's, and a HVW's T-shirt, and a Nikon 35 mm camera, running around like his head is on fire and his a$$ is catchin'...I'll either be on the starting line, the car show area, or the swap meet.....Look forward to mneeting you guys, If I don't see you, make sure you stop me and say hello.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM   #12
Kafer_Mike
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>...look for a somewhat pot bellied (no, not THAT kind of pot) guy, wearing Levi's, and a HVW's T-shirt, and a Nikon 35 mm camera, running around like his head is on fire and his a$$ is catchin'...[/b][/quote]
...or cruising around the show in his topless v-rod with the wind blowing through his hair. :P

Closed Thread