Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by cretin

Old March 16th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #26
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Fired up my forge this morning

Nice work. I have a restored coal forge and blower, a few post vises and a 340# Hay-Budden anvil. I bought and sold a few anvils to work my way up t that one. I just don't have time to do any work.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:41 PM   #27
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default My Waste Oil Forge

I knew I had a Thread I started about my forge, well I'll just add on to it here about my oil burner forge. I will hafta go back and look on our desk top computer to see when I started building this Big Forge fired on used motor oil, I think it's been at least 10 years ago, maybe longer, but now that I have it going on a 50/50 mixture of kerosene and used motor oil it gets really hot, I'll add a link to the latest video, I also had to weld some angle iron to the front so I can stack some fire bricks to close the opening a bit smaller as well as keep more heat in for forge welding purposes, other than adding an adjustable work rest onto the front I should be ready to start making some pattern welded knives as well as a few parts for my Volksrod, i still have lots of cleaning to do, but as long as i don't keep anything flamable near my forge i should be fine

Here's the video, I need one now that I finished the front opening
https://youtu.be/gtaJnz9ZNHc

Here's a pic of the front after adding angle iron to both sides, that way I can make the opening big of little

One other thing I hafta do is poke a hole in it just above the oil burner for my propane burner, once I let it heat up the inside for a few minutes then the oil burner fires lights much easier
I hope next time to have a few billets of pattern welded material welded together

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 05:34 AM   #28
V8Transporter
Forum Member

First time I've ever seen a home-built forge. Very cool...um, I mean, that's So Hot!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 06:00 PM   #29
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Kim I build everything for my foundry and forge myself including my propane burners, I was using propane to forge weld but I was going thru 100 lbs of propane in five 6 hour days, the last knife I made was the Kris Dagger that's about 8 inches long and about 200 layers, that alone took 150 lbs of propane, used motor oil is easy to get, I have at least 100 gallons now
Here's a pic of my 2 foundry furnaces and my small forge, the bigger one on the left I've melted cast iron in using propane, that should be easy with waste oil, below that is a pic of my propane burners, I mainly use the 1 inch burner pipe in the middle, it screws into the 1 inch to 2 inch pipe reducer on the left, it has a mig welding tip with a 0.046" diameter hole in it, I sometimes use the 1-1/4 inch pipe on the right along with a blower motor, all together I probably have $100 invested in everything and $65 of that was for the oil pump i just bought for the oil burner
Oh yeah to the far right in the first picture is my small forge I made shortly after building my foundry furnaces, I also did all my forge welding in it

Here's another video with the front closed up a bit, I stuck a piece of steel in it, I was planning to forge weld it a few times but I couldn't find my flux that I had just set by the forge minutes before firing it up, afterwards I still couldn't find it, guess I'll hafta buy another box of 20 mule teams laundry detergent so I can forge weld, I'm gonna use the few billets I started years ago, but first I need to get all my tongs in working order, they have sat so long then when the tree branch poked a hole in the roof they rusted up to the point they didn't open, I need to finish 2 pair I started years ago as well
What can I say, I'm happy as can be to get back to doing something I love as much as machining, I hope to make the parts for my Volksrod very soon as well as more knives

https://youtu.be/ihMO0uPGNko

More to come soon
Ron

RSS
Old February 25th, 2018, 08:28 AM   #30
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Damn, that is so cool! Next you're going to explain how you produce your own propane from bird farts.
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #31
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Damn, that is so cool! Next you're going to explain how you produce your own propane from bird farts.
Nope, I use bats instead of birds
I wish I could save farts in a pressurized tank, he'll I could save lots of fuel if that was possible
This afternoon I ran my forge for 3 hours on a little over 1 gallon of 50/50 used motor oil and kerosene, it smoked like crazy when I turn it off

Ron

RSS
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:58 AM   #32
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So for the last month I have been sitting back taking it easy, before I had to take a break I did forge weld 2 Damascus billets and started making a couple knives, of the two only one turned out ok, the other I left in the forge to long when I got an important phone call and ended up burning most of the blade end up, I may just use it to make a box knife, I cut off a section of an old coil spring and straightened it out to make a knife out of
Below is a picture of what I started with, 20 layers of 1085 steel 0.040" thick by 1 inch wide, and 10 inches long, after I got all 20 layers welded together I folded it twice so it's about 80 layers minus a few from the scale that comes off from heating it up so much

Here's where I'm at now with the Damascus piece

Here's the piece of coil spring after I straightened it out, its about where the one above is

I'm ready to get back out there and finish what I started, I had to take a break because my right hand was swelled up really bad, Trina asked me what I did to it Saturday night March 3rd while we were eating dinner, I looked at it and it looked like a latex glove blown up, it was a little sore, I still have no idea what I did to it, I was holding my hammer with it the 5 days before and it wasn't hurting, the following Tuesday March 6th I had a few xrays done and nothing was broken or fractured, my doc thinks I could have been bitten by a brown recluse spider, it most likely crawled into my glove then I put my hand into it, I just don't remember anything when it happened, but I could have thought it was a hot piece of scale fell into my glove and just kept right on working, my other thought is I hit it on a table or something while I was walking and just kept right on going, I have done that many times in the past, usually I remember doing it tho, but I promised Trina that I'd stay out of the garage until all the swelling went down, it's been normal now since this past Monday so I built me another used oil burner to use for melting down large aluminum pieces into smaller ingots, I have an engine block from my Eldorado that's cracked along with a bunch of other large aluminum parts plus a few wheels that aren't any good, I'm gonna set a 55 gallon barrel on it's side, put a 2 inch hole at the end for the metal to drain out into a couple ingot molds I have, I'll line the barrel with some fire bricks to help keep the heat in, if it works I'll get a video or pictures
I also plan to bring my gloves in the house with me from now on, I don't want any more spider bites

I'll tell ya, it's also hard for me to sit around and do nothing, I did do a lot of walking on a tread mill, I averaged about 2 miles a day plus any other walking I did that day, I also rode my bicycle about 3 to 4 miles every weekend with my grand daughters, trying to get into shape

Ron

RSS
Old March 31st, 2018, 08:28 AM   #33
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Spider bites are not fun. About 10 years ago I got one on my right hip. Left a niche sunflower seed sized hole there for a few days.
When I was 5, I got bit 7 times on the butt from what the doc thought was a brown recluse. Doc said by the 3rd bite I should have been in convulsions. I told my mom my butt just itched. :)
Don't want to get bit again but they don't freak me out very much.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2018, 08:35 AM   #34
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I find the way you work metal on the 'amazing side' of garage operations. How long does it take you to build one of those knives?

A Brown Recluse is nothing to mess with. Years ago a buddy was cleaning out his attic and likely, according to his doc, got bit on the face. He said he hadn't felt anything while he cleaned, but when he showed up at my shop a couple of days later, his face still looked like he'd been on the losing side of a bar fight.
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:38 PM   #35
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

To get the 80 layers forge welded together and where it's at right now took about 18 hours, but I was working 3 different pieces, first just the 80 layers piece and another that I burnt up when I got a phone call and I forgot to pull it out of the forge, that's when I cut a piece of coil spring and started working that into shape
The curved Kris Dagger I made about 10 years ago took me took me about 25 to 30 hours from start to finish, the finishing and polishing is what takes the longest, I start with 80 grit and keep working my way up to 2000 grit

As far as the brown recluse spider goes, years ago my uncle put a hat on that had been in his basement for years, it bit him and his head was scared for the rest of his life, it almost looked like a football from the swelling

My doc looked my hand over good with a magnifying glass for a bite mark by couldn't find anything, he was puzzled as to what could have caused it, I know my garage is full of them, I see them all the time when I start moving things around, and I have been doing a lot of that lately
About 15 years ago we think one bit our dog right on the nuts, he was a Basset Hound so they were low to the ground anyway, they swelled up to the size of a cantalop melon and drug the ground when he walked, we took an old pair of underwear and put then on him to keep them from getting caught on stuff, I really felt bad for him

Ron

RSS
Old April 3rd, 2018, 12:02 PM   #36
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So this afternoon I fired up my newest waste oil burner that I plan to use for my foundry, I shut it down after 5 minutes because the paint on the outside of the barrel was making a lot of smoke, but in those 5 minutes it melted a 1/4 of a Honda valve cover and a good chunk of a cracked bellhousing from a Chevy 2.8 V6, I was hoping to burn all the paint off tonight but the weather people are saying we might have a tornado watch or warning, probably wouldn't be a good idea to fire it up if the winds start whipping or a tornado shows up, tomorrow's another day
I'll tell ya what, I was about 15 feet away from this thing and it was really putting out some heat, I may make another one similar for my forge, it puts out a lot more heat than that oil burner
Here's a short video
https://youtu.be/dzNekP3Uslk

Ron

RSS
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #37
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So today I burnt all the paint off the barrel, it doesn't smoke much at all, now I need to line it with fire bricks and I can clear out a lot of space in my garage, then maybe I can make all the projects I have waiting
I'm sure I can crank up the heat more, I didn't wanna over do it, and it's so nice using free fuel

https://youtu.be/S6GUMzCWrco

Ron

RSS
Old April 14th, 2018, 07:59 PM   #38
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So this past Wednesday I finished hammering my 80 layer damascus knife to it's final length, now I just hafta grind it to shape then start an edge on it and bend the rat tail around to form the handle, I made a fixture to get them all about the same years ago when I made my first knife like this
Below are a few pictures from the begining to the end, I'll add 1 or 2 more after I get it finished and etched to bring out the pattern

Here's what I started with, 20 layers of 0.045" thick by 1" wide by 10" long 1085 carbon steel, I forge welded them together then folded it once, then drew it out and folded it again making about 80 layers

Here it is just as I started drawing out what becomes the handle, it's about 5" long here, it's sitting on a fire brick that's 4-1/2" wide

Now it's about 11" long

It's to it's final length of about 15-1/2" long and about 3/16" thick at the handle section, the blade end is a little over 1/8" thick, I have plenty of material to grind off, I hope the pattern shows up on the blade when I grind it to thin the edge side down

The tip broke off when I tried removing the rebar handle I welded to it, luckily there is plenty of material to form a nice blade

Here's the fixture I made back when I made my 1st knife like this, the one that's on it is the 2nd damascus knife I made, as you can see there is plenty of room to make adjustments

I hope this doesn't take me more than a week to finish, I have a piece of coil spring I started flattening out, I'm not sure what type of knife I'm gonna make with it but I may have a tough time finishing one before I start forging others out

Ron

RSS
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:04 PM   #39
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I ran out of propane and I'm gonna hafta start making stuff to try to sell so I can buy propane and some belts for my belt grinder, it's tough trying to do it with a 4-1/2" angle grinder

Since I ran out of propane it makes it tough to preheat the inside of my forge to get the oil burning, so yesterday I dug out the coal forge I built back around 2005, I used it once then pushed it up against the outside wall of my garage where it's sat and collected all sorts of stuff
I don't have any real coal but this afternoon I used some Kingston charcoal and a bunch of wood, I have always wanted a machete so I found a lawn mower blade and forged it into a crude machete, earlier I glued some hard wood flooring scraps to it with a piece of aluminum for a guard, tomorrow I'll finish shaping the handle then put a nice sharp edge on it and go behind my garage and see hoe it works on the vines covering the trees
I also took a 40 lb chunk of railroad track I have and mounted it to a base I made up of 4 pieces of 2 by 12's by 21 inches long, I might hafta hollow out the bottom of it and fill it with concrete or lead to make it heavier

A very crude machete, it's 21 inches long

My coal (charcoal and wood) forge, it's been sitting outside for over 12 years and the electric blower motor and fan I scavanged from an old dryer still work, the ducting was clogged up from what appeared to be the home of many mice over the years

And my anvil, or should I call it a tranvil, either way it works for the small work I do, I just don't like forging outside in the sun, it's tough to tell the color of your metal

Ron

RSS
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:09 AM   #40
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I really enjoy the way you adapt to various situations. But, what happened to utilizing "bat farts" as fuel?
I have an anvil which looks a lot like yours. That stuff is really a bitch to cut with and old torch. Um, hopefully our developing railway system up here won't see this.
Nice looking machete!
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:52 PM   #41
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I had a terrible time training bats to fart into a bottle, and I got tired of holding them until they would fart, all that time I wasted, that's when I remembered I had another forge I could use

Back over winter I met a guy who I bought a couple used tires from who has a farm in northern Kentucky that has a very large field covered in coal, I just need to find his phone number and see if he will sell enough to fill my trailer up

I burned up about 40 lbs of wood in about 2 hours yesterday, plus it blows lots of sparks which means id it's raining I can't do anything

Ron

RSS
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:43 PM   #42
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I found the guys phone number who has the farm full of coal, his farm is about 10 miles from my house if I take the ferry across the river, the ferry is about 2 miles from my house, once across the river its up a steep hill, I'll be a bit worried coming down the hill with my trailer full of coal, but its that or take the long way which is about 30 miles or more
The good news is the coal is free as long as I make him something, I started making a Calla Lilly just before I ran out of propane, I hope to finish it up tomorrow along with another machete, I'll make this one a bit nicer than the one I made for myself, I spent the last 2 days cutting and splitting wood into usable pieces for my coal forge, just under 100 lbs of wood, I just hope it's enough to finish what I started
Here's the Lilly minus the leaves

Oh wait that's the one growing in the backyard

I just hope this coal doesn't have much sulfer in it, but I guess there is only one way to find out, I'll let ya's know in a week or 2

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; May 23rd, 2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:38 PM   #43
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

About an hour ago I almost finished up the Lilly I started, I went through 35 lbs of wood in 90 minutes, I'll be glad to see what coal is like

Tomorrow I hafta either find something to put it in or make something out of a piece of 1 inch pipe

Ron

RSS