Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 606

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #26
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

got any pics?

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #27
Jon
Forum Member

Drop spindles and its too low ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Your 135's might be rubbing because of your spindles offset..

I lowered a Ghia by adding the old Selecta Drop years ago and it would scrape the reflectors out of the road. The only time it rubbed was in very extreme turns like backing out of a tight parking space.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #28
mikeschramm
Forum Member

Yes, Drop spindles and body channel! and it to low. the fender sit about 1/2" BELOW the top of the rim. I say too low not becouse of ground clearence; with the channel I can put the rocker on the ground and still have 2 1/2" clearence. I say too low becouse of a certain look Im after -and sitting on the ground is not it.
The rubbing is not an issue with the 135s. It only rubs close to full lock but as I stated I want to put 165s all around and I want to make reasonable U-turns. Yes, the spindles kick the wheels out 1/2".
I will post pic tomorrow morning.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #29
Jon
Forum Member

Sorry, I didn't realize it was the same car. I just assumed it was a different car for some reason. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #30
mikeschramm
Forum Member

Here are the pics I promissed. I took them last night and it was cold and dark outside so I shot a few in the shop. It was kinda hard to get good pics but I think you'll get the idea. Im in the process of moving from the restro-custom look to something more street rod inspired so alot of the car has been taken apart. Headlights are the next to get modded. My plan is a good old fashioned recessed french job. Ive always thought the ghia lights were to pointy looking so Ill take some of the point off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] I will be doing this mod next week when I can take some time off of work.
Anyway, back to the channel job. In the first pic you can see how low the car sits. This is all stock suspension with only dropped spindles. I want the car to sit about an inch higher. In the secound pic you can see where the rubbing starts. Its driveable like this but tight turns are a thing of the past. I will need to narrow the front if I want to run 165s. By reading pistolpetes experences with narrowing and lowering I think I will just narrow the beam and not cut and lift it. It seems that just narrowing the beam may cause the car to sit higher due to the shorter spring leaves being less forgiving.
mike
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #31
mikeschramm
Forum Member

The next set of pics are a front shot of the car. If you look behind the wheel at the back of the wheel well where it joins with the rocker panel you can see how much lower the body sits then the pan. I thought I channelled it 2 1/2" but it was 10-11 years ago and upon closer looking I think it was more like 3 1/2". I hope you can see what I talking about.

mike
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #32
RATRODVW
Forum Member

You just got all kinds of kick ass cars and trucks don't you... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] Nice Ghia...
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #33
alltypesvw
Forum Member

OH MY GOD THAT GHIA IS HOT

i usually hate 60's ghias.. that one looks just right
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:06 PM   #34
Romain
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Clear as mud[/b][/quote]

No,very clear ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] Thanks... Finally it's almost easy to curve those parts.
further pics:
(if it can help)

the right handside floorpan and the rear airshock tubular mounts will be done this coming weekend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
I've just received them today: they can lift the car up to 15 cm
(6 inches) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM   #35
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

looks awesome.....what are you planning to do on the pedals????
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM   #36
Romain
Forum Member

I'll probably keep the original pedals setup... with a kind of small steel plate/box under it.

If it's not confortable enough to drive properly then I'll try to lower the whole thing like Nick did,but it's a Hell lot of work. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM   #37
Nick
Forum Member

Looks good [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I fixed my picts too, forgot I rewrote my webpage recently [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img]

Dropping the pans isn't really too hard IMO, it's the other things that goes along with dropped pans that's a bit trickier, like dropped pedals. You could use hydraulic pedal instead too.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM   #38
Griznant
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Mar 23 2005, 01:55 PM
Looks good [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I fixed my picts too, forgot I rewrote my webpage recently [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img]

Dropping the pans isn't really too hard IMO, it's the other things that goes along with dropped pans that's a bit trickier, like dropped pedals. You could use hydraulic pedal instead too.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

Or, cut out a section from a car with hung pedals and weld that in. That's what I'm trying to do right now. Then again, my project is just a "little" bit different when it comes to where the pedals need to go and what they need to actuate. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

Grant
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #39
notched
Forum Member

There is a bracket made for using a stock pedal assembly for dune buggys/sandrails. I'll see if I can find pics.

I love your car Romain. It took me a while to figure out what you had done to the pan. Now I understand. That is an amazing amount of work.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:50 PM   #40
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by notched@Mar 23 2005, 05:30 PM
There is a bracket made for using a stock pedal assembly for dune buggys/sandrails. I'll see if I can find pics.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
I use sandrail pedal mounts for my car, probably the same thing you're talking about.

Romain, before you start on the other pan, this is a good time to drop the pedals, will be alot easier to do this now while you have access on one of the sides. Here's how I dropped mine:

Cut an "H" shaped pattern on the tunnel floor next to where the epdals mount to, then push it down to the desired drop level

Box weld the drop

Then welded the buggy pedal mount adapter onto the chassis

inside pict:

Keep in mind I relocated my body back 10", so your brake cylinder will be below the framehead now, you'll have to figure out how to protect it from the elements, etc.

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #41
Romain
Forum Member

Hello,
sorry I haven't been writing an update for monthes,
but here we are, as I'm currently on holiday things are getting together...
I plan to finish the car this month so no time to loose [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img]
As some people here seemed to be intersted in the channeling and stuff, if you have any questions...

the chassis 's been painted and re-assembled, the body is back on,
bondo is almost set for primer paint (the longest,took me several weeks)
the brakes are working (no leak,kinda surprizing because the pieces were separated during winter)

next tasks:
- the steering setup assembly; I couldn't find a cheap rack, so it will be a mix between Renault 21 and bug mounts and column. It's longer so I will have to cut the body to make it pass threw it.

- finish the bondo on rear fenders and back of the roof,doors, if it finally stops raining [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

- Weld rear hood mounts (screws,no opening mechanism because I failed re-fabricating something close to orgin. )

- adjust left door
and minor things such as building a new flat fuel tank

then white primer paint, electrical,windows...

I've still one panel to install (removable,with screws)
between motor/tranny and the interior, but I'd like to use a wooden one instead of metal, to avoid vibrations [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
As it will be about 20 inches from the J-tubes exhausts,
do you think there is a risk of fire because of heat ???

keep ya updated [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]

Old July 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #42
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

you son of a gun...you did just what i'm doing, you built a box for your feet to keep the peddles in stock location

i'm gonna make mine into kind of a toolbox/storage compartment (thanx to jim wolcott for that idea)
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #43
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

None of the pics on this thread work for me.
Anyone else having the same problem ?

I feel like I'm missing something here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old July 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #44
Nick
Forum Member

Picts works for me.

Looks like you pulled it off nicely [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Do I see a semi-tubular chassis support? On the feet pedal rise, on my Sebring kit car it has dropped floorpans as well, but it has an incline from the dropped seats to the stock pedals (like a ramp).

Closed Thread